Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

here's what english marmite looks like in new zealand (and I think australia)  way back when, the marmite company sold the brand name marmite to sanitarium for use out here.  when all the poms started emigrating to NZ and Aus they complained (dare I say whinged??) that Vegemite and Sanitarium Marmite weren't the real thing - not strong enough for their tastes and so meet "our mate"!!

ourmate.jpg

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

That is Brilliant Melissa!

I remember an Ad for Marmite over here that had a load of soldiers marching along and singing about 'my mate Marmite' but it was a few years ago now - probably was inspired by the NZ name then?

yummy     off to have Marmite on toast for breakfast now....... bear_tongue

Thanks Mate!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Penny  :hug:

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

it tastes like evil! bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

I sent some to an american friend a few years ago - she reckoned it was a good thing to threaten her kids with - tidy your room or I'll make you eat marmite!!

you just can't explain it but it is almost universally hated by anyone who wasn't brought up on the stuff.  it's salty and savoury and tangy and yeasty and well....marmitey! 

Penny, have you had marmite and walnut sandwiches - they are the best - had 'em almost every day of my school life from ages 5 - 18

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

it tastes like evil!

Oh Melissa how could you. It's beautiful... black gold....Yummy!!!!!!!!

Renae, Marmite is the most yummy stuff on the planet. I love a nice piece of toast all warm dripping with butter and a nice not too thick spreading of gorgeous Marnmite.

What is Marmite

Marmite is dark brown-colored savory spread made from the yeast that is a by-product of the brewing industry. It has a very strong, slightly salty flavor. It is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it type of food.
It comes in small (2-5 inches high) bulb-shaped glass jars with a distinctive yellow lid.
Children in Britain are generally fed it from the time they are weaned, and most never grow out of it. It has a high B-vitamin content, as well as riboflavin and niacin—and as such is very healthy. (The vitamin-B complex helps prevent anemia.)

The ingredients

Marmite is made from (greater quantity first):

Yeast Extract
Salt

Vegetable Extract
Vitamin: Niacin
Spices
Vitamins: B1, B2, Folic Acid, B12

In New Zealand it is made by the Sanitarium Health Food Company. It is sold in plastic jars with a white lid, and has a different set of ingredients:

Yeast
Sugar
Salt
Wheatgerm Extract
Mineral Salt (508)
Color (Caramel)
Herbs
Spices
Vitamins: Niacin, Thiamin, Riboflavin

Apart from the addition of Sugar and Caramel, the differences in ingredients are probably just down to the different labelling requirements of the two countries, and are basically the same. The addition of sugar is what gives NZ Marmite its "weaker" (some would say "less rancid") flavor.

There now you know about our beautiful Marmite.  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Hugs Jane  bear_thumb

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked I will take your word for it gals!!  My American taste buds are screaming at the idea............Bleeeech! bear_grin bear_tongue  bear_grin   

:hug:
Tracy

Marmite is beeeyooooootiful - you don't know what you're missing Tracey..........
................it puts hairs on your chest as my Mam used to say. hahahahaha aha aha

Penny  bear_tongue  bear_wacko

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Ooooooh, I definitely don't need the hairs on my chest.......got enough problems with my physical appearance, thank you!! bear_grin  bear_grin

I remember now that my ex brought some of that back from our trip to London 7 years ago.  He grew up in England, so loves the stuff.  I couldn't bring myself to try it! bear_tongue  bear_tongue

:hug:
Tracy

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
gotobedbears wrote:

................it puts hairs on your chest as my Mam used to say. hahahahaha aha aha

Penny  bear_tongue  :wacko:

No thanks...that's what I have TWEEZERS for...to remove those unwanted or unnecessary "chest" hairs.   bear_grin   bear_tongue   bear_grin

Marmite just sounds NASTY!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hey... that was me who posted the link to the vegemite song!!!!!  Just kidding, maybe someone else posted it too...  bear_tongue  I've become semi obsessed with this the whole idea of Vegemite & Marmite & all the mites!  I've been researching the stuff for two days now....

And here's a link to the vegemite song... just in case anyone missed it... It IS so catchy!   bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle

http://www.marmitepantry.com/Vegemite.html

You have to click on the multi-media player at the top right corner!

"We're happy little vegemites!!!!!!!!"

Kim Basta
Wild THyme Originals

Dilu Posts: 8,574

If it is black and creamy...well....why not just eat

Nutella?

What is a

POM

dilu

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

A Pom is what we kiwis (and aussies) affectionately call people from England.  A "whingeing Pom" is what they're called when we're not being so affectionate.  (we would never call anyone round here that!)

Dilu - a lot of people DO mistake marmite for nutella - they spread it on thick and then get a most unpleasant surprise.  marmite is the complete and utter opposite of nutella.  my exchange student did just that - wish I'd had a camera.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Marmite - yum yum - I eat it on toast most mornings!  bear_grin

The more adventurous Americans among us can buy it from www.amazon.com....you have no excuse not to try it!!!  bear_whistle  bear_innocent

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Mmmn, Marmite is yummy!  'Specially on toast.   bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm going to see if they carry either Vegemite or Marmite at our local imported food store, Cost Plus Imports.  Will report back!

I should probably add that I am a salt fanatic and once, as a child, drank almost a half jar of olive juice after cleaning out the fruity chunks from within it.  Made me a bit sick, that, it was soooooooooo high in sodium content, but dang, it tasted good!  I think I may be a secret Brit/Aussie/Kiwi just waiting to rediscover my past-life homeland(s.)

Hudson, Ohio

Erin... love your "chundering" smilie!!!!!    :dance:  :dance:

Lisa... you are TOO Funny!  I did sing your lyrics and laughed the whole time... Oh.. and I imagined that I was playing that flute from the real song while I was doing it!   bear_grin  bear_tongue  bear_grin

Kim Basta
Wild THyme Originals

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I just remember Marmite, along with dripping, as one of those disgusting concoctions that, as children, we had on toast when we didn't have any marmalade or jam left ...and, along with the dreaded Bovril, Malt Syrup, cold custard and Ovaltine, brings back memories of things best forgotten...yuck.

Hudson, Ohio

Oh, I just have to ask... what is Bovril?
I do LIKE Ovaltine though!  My Mom was against chocolate milk... but would let us have Ovaltine.... so for me it was a treat!  My kids even drink the stuff now... but I bet they have improved the flavor over the passage of time.... it's pretty good now! 

Kim Basta
Wild THyme Originals

Kim wrote:  Oh, I just have to ask... what is Bovril?

bovril1.jpg

Ahhh well, Bovril is even darker than Marmite and has a savoury flavour much like Marmite but very different!!!! I know that won't make a lot of sense to those who have'nt tasted Marmite or Bovril but to those who have it will mean a lot.
bear_laugh  bear_wacko

Bovril can be made into a hot savoury drink or used as a spread.

AND IT COMES IN CUBES TOO.....for gravies or stocks

bovril.jpg

I was a Bovril kid but have turned to Marmite as an adult  :dance:

01WH02md.jpg

BOVRIL IS MADE FROM COWS - sorry Judi  bear_cry

Penny  :hug:

warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Kim...it's a salty paste kind of a thing like Marmite but it's made from beef extract...you can add it to stews, gravies  and things but people here used to make really yucky drinks from it when I was child saying it was good for you.

Like hell it is.....

Bovril.jpg

I love this old advertisemant image for Bovril.......and this one

a240847.jpg

Hudson, Ohio

bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_grin

Oh you guys are too funny!  So, it's like a bullion type of thing?

I don't think we have anything here in the states that is like a bizarre "healthy" type thing that our parents made us eat!?  My Mom pushed a lot of wheat germ into us as children... but that really isn't icky or anything..... I still eat that with yougurt and honey.....
I just can't think of anything we have in that same vein..... BORING AMERICANS, I guess!   :dance:  bear_rolleyes  bear_wub

Kim Basta
Wild THyme Originals

bovril.jpg

This image just about says it all - if you hate clowns you'll probably hate Bovril too
bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  :twisted:

warwickshire uk
Website

The weirdest thing we ate when we were children was tinned fruit with bread and butter...I think because it filled us up and we didn't ask for more of the fruit.  We had to have a teaspoon full of malt syrup every day...sickly and disgusting.

My husband still eats cheese with his Christmas cake despite not having lived in Yorkshire these past 10 years...that did seem odd to me but he assures me that in Yorkshire it's quite the thing.

Penny ...I hate clowns.....so that explains why I don't like Bovril!!!!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I haven't seen marmite for years, I must take another look next time I am at the supermarket.   I still love the occasional serve of vegemite though.  bear_grin

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

We have Bovril in Canada - my mum used to use it and I've used the cubes to make gravy, but certainly not to drink UGH!

I'll have to check out the specialty section of the big grocery stores or ask hubby or daughter to see if the carry marmite of vegimite. 

Hugs,

Brenda

Board footer