Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

Help I have just been asked to make a bunny bear, I shall need to make a pattern, but never having done a  bunny, I don't know where to start all my heads look like bears with long ears, I know I am missing something (probably obvious) but I have a mental block and cant get passed it. Does anyone have a rabbit head pattern  I could get a look at as a starting point I hope one of you teddy friends can nudge the brain box and start it running  :redface:  :pray:

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

I've seen so many styles of bunnies I don't know if you can really go wrong!

I make mine with pretty much just an egg-shaped head, the pointy end of the
egg is the nose. It's really much simpler than a bear's muzzle.

rabbit2.jpg

5rabbit4.jpg

Lop bunnies have even rounder heads:
profile.jpg

to me, the V-shaped nose is so distinctive & important to 'bunny-ness':

nose.jpg

& the eyes being pretty deeply set adds a lot, too.

But that's just me & you may not want to do a realistic style of bun!
Just thought I'd share some jumping off point thoughts  bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Estelle,

If you want a more realistic bunny than the (admittedly very cute) long-eared bear variety, note also that the eyes are not set to focus forward, as a bear's are. Since the rabbit is prey, not predator, its eyes are set to see sideways and up.

Toadbriar is absolutely right about the head shapes!

Eileen

Todmorden West Yorkshire

thanks for the pointers ladies, the live bunny pics really show what you mean withegg shaped head and eyse set facing out rather than forward great hlep I shall try again

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

bunny.jpg
maybe this will help. notice that the muzzle has a much more pointed shape and also that at the nose end, it goes down much lower on the side head pattern near the mouth. it should go down to about where the bottom of a stitched nose on a bear would be. On the side head, the muzzle is much rounder and you need to make the muzzle kind of large to give it the "jowls"
Sonya

Todmorden West Yorkshire

thanks Sonya thats great, just what I needed  :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

1rabbitpatternfor-TT.jpgThis pattern I put together rather quick to show you another way of drawing the rabbit face. Sorry it is a wee bit scruffy. This pattern has a half gusset that starts at the brow line. I have also added the body to show the difference in the shoulder area of the body to match the  difference in the neck design.
SORRY, you may have to turn your head a wee bit on the side. hahahahahh

Board footer