Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm having one of those days where I can't get a thing accomplished.  I start something...get distracted or bored...off to the next...so on and so forth.  I've popped on here at least a dozen times already and it's only 9:30ish (my clock is off...and I can't see the REAL time).

Anybody else having a not so productive day?

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oh yes!  Me too!  I'm in full fidget mode.  Stop, start, put the kettle on ... think ... start again ... jump up and do something else completely unrelated ... think some more ... pick up where I left off the first time ... remember something I forgot ... leap up ...

I've mentally told myself off many times already today!!  bear_cry

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Weeell, since I've been playing catch up here on TT, then yes, I am not getting anything accomplished!! bear_tongue  bear_grin

I have days like those too sometimes......get distracted too easily and hop from one thing to another.  Makes me  wonder if I've got ADD like my son does..........

:hug:
Tracy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What????  You girls have ADD, too?   bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  I have waaaaaaaay too many of those days and don't seem to be able to change the bad habits.  <sigh>  At almost 65, don't guess there is much hope, either.  But I can empathize!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Lisa wrote:

Sue Ann, you must look after yourself very well..as there is no way you even look over 55, you don't even have a wrinkle!  when i first saw your photo...you could have passed for Ron Moss's Mother...and his a huge honey!!!! he is on the Bold and the Beautiful, his character is Ridge...nearly named my son Hayden after him...saw him in concert here in Australia too, his a fantastic singer...i'm trying to think of the band he played in the 70's they had a huge hit, but he is solo now.....just can't think of the song..you would know it if i could think of it?????
it's a really beautiful song too....i;ll have to look on my c.d. :hug:

My goodness, Lisa . . . thank you so much - you've made my day . . . no, no, you've made my year!!!  Hmmmm - I'm going to have to Google Ron Moss - do I look like him?

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Well, I mid as well jump in here too as I am sure I have ADD/ADHD (have two mild cases in my children ) and I have a son named Hayden. I think we all have those days though and now that I am going back to work next week, I have a list so long, I can't figure out what to do first. I get so overwhelmed that I turn on the computer, doesn't help but sure does distract me and make the time go by  bear_grin   bear_grin
Lisa, how old is your Hayden? Mine is 13.
Don't feel bad Shantell, sometimes you just need to have a break and forgive yourself for it.  :hug:   :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shari, if your kids have ADD, then it's a good chance you do as well.  There is a strong genetic component to it.  I've read so many books on it now, I feel like a pro LOL!   I take so many "side-trips" when trying to get the house ready for viewing, I had to make a strict list and stick to it or nothing would get ready.

Hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Lisa wrote:

Sue Ann do you see the resemblence?? i've posted one of him here too...as you'll notice your eyes are then similiar when you's smile..

YOU SURE he aint your long lost son!????

http://www.teddy-talk.com/uploaded/998611.jpg

Don't I WISH!!!  He's gorgeous!  Looks like he may have some Native American somewhere in his ancestory . . . as I do.  Maybe we're related along those lines.  He is dreamy!  Thanks much for the pics!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Ron Moss does concerts?!  he is on a soap opera here in the states that my friend tapes so she can drool over him at night! hee hee bear_grin

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Hi Brenda. I know all about the genetics and as both a mother and an educater, I have done some research myself. I am positive that many members of my family (father,brother, grandfather to name a few) are afflicted. I always knew in school that there was something wrong with me and when I had my son tested the doctor was surprised that I made it through Teachers College and University. I know it was only by determination and hard study that took way longer than others that I made it. You learn to "cope" . I have never been tested because I don't want to take meds. My children are coping without but I'm keeping a close eye to make sure they don't struggle and lose self esteem.  No saving mine now though  bear_tongue   :redface:  I just keep telling myself that ADD people are extremely artistic and intelligent  bear_smile   bear_grin  Too bad I can't spell  bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Well, now I know for sure that Ronn isn't my son . . . I looked up his birth date and I was only 10 when he was born.  Maybe a long lost brother???   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Regarding ADD:
My VERY ADD daughter has been trying to improve her lifestyle by educating herself on the disorder.  I never thought about being ADD myself, but she brought me two books to read the last time she came home and said she was pretty sure that I qualified big time!  So . . . now I'm trying to read the books in addition to making bears and participating in life - a huge task, if you ask me, for someone with ADD.  If anyone is interested in the book titles, they are:

Delivered from Distraction by Edward Hallowell and John Ratey
ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life by Judith Kolberg and Kathleen Nadeau

And, Renae . . . you are absolutely correct with the observation in your own life.  When I worked outside the home for eons and eons, I was VERY efficient and organized.  Now that I am retired and post-menopausal, I am totally pathetic.  Really spooky the way that works!!

ScottBear scott's bears

True ADHD bearmaker chiming in !!....was treated as a child and also as an adult with good success but with not having insurance from the bear store I have been on my own to manage and control the symtons and the insanity that many time comes with it... bear_wacko
Over the years I have learned to use tools and tricks to keep me on tract esp when getting ready for a show and getting the bears done on time ...
BUT! I do believe that the untreated ADD makes me much more creative and full of great idea's...The trick is to manage the time to get the ideas out of my head and translated into a finished product/bear...A great exsample is the bear that won the award this weekend at nevada city show  The working butterfly's that I used for the panda I HAVE HAD FOR 3 YEARS!!!. I just could not get the thing to work the way i wanted and so I would try to make it work and then put it away and take it back out and sooooo oonnn aaahhhhh so ADD of me ....It takes alot of insane rules to get me on track and stay on it !!!
I get alot done now when I stick to the plan but get off track many times THE TRICK?!?! to know that it will happen one way or the other and i need to plan for it YEP YEP PLAN for the ADD moments
IE #1 plan for 40-1 1/2 hrs on line throughout out the day all in tiny li'l bits(that the way an add thinks)
#2 plan to get more done then I really need to so that when I dont I still have close to what i really need lol
#3Not get mad at myself when i get side tracted and spend time beating myself for getting off tract BECAUSE IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN! lots of wasted time !!

The rest just comes together as the day unfolds and i try to trust the tool and minds games to keep me ontrack or i would never get things done and get
overwelmed and the whole world becomec unmanagable and crazed.......

well got to go and do one of the 400 things and ideas the have poped into my head as i posted this !!! bear_original

BEARHUGS
SCOTT

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

This is an interesting thread - Renae, from the time I was a wee child I knew I would never drive a car, but didn't know why.  It's the only thing my mum and I had unresolved tension over.  She kept insisting that I get a licence and I flatly refused.  I instinctively knew I shouldn't drive, but didn't understand why until I was diagnosed with ADD.  My visual perception is just so acute, that I can not process all that information out there that's needed to be processed, all the while handling a car.  I would have killed someone by now I'm sure, but I wish I could tell my mum.
     Shari, I have ritalin but don't use it all the time.  I know that's not the way it's supposed to be used, but I don't need it all the time.  I tend to use it when I'm really under stress, and it' helps me cope when I absolutely have to.  Like you, I always knew something was wrong, but it didn't make sense really, because I did really well in school - I was two grades ahead.  I spent all my time in school daydreaming and  I had a lot of problems with the social aspect of it - I hated being around a lot of people.  I just wanted to be at home.  I would wait until my mum's laundry basket was overflowing and hint that I might iron everything for her, if only I could say home and she sometimes let me.  When she wouldn't I just skipped school and came home, as she worked.  If the school phoned, I was at home so there was nothing they could do.  For those other times,  I did something a little devious.  We used to have to take notes from our parents if we had been sick and were returning to school.  The first time in the school year that I had to hand in a legitimate note, I would copy the note in my own handwriting exactly as my mum had written it and hand it in.  If they phoned her, she said "yes", she had written the note (not knowing I had switched it).  After that, I was free to write all my own notes when I decided to skip, as it was my writing that was on file.  And who said Adders weren't creative!
     Sue Ann, I think I have read most of the books on ADD that have been published.  The two I like the best are "You mean I'm Not Lazy Stupid or Crazy!" by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo  and "Windows into the ADD Mind" by Daniel Amen.  I like the first book because it is written from a female point of view on ADD and it's humourous and very well written and has loads of information.   I like the second book because it really explains all the different types of ADD and has chapters on different treatments and coping strategies.  It has become my "bible" so to speak. 
     I think just being aware of it helps me cope.  I recognize all the little distractions that keep me from accomplishing things, and if I absolutely have to get things done, then I use ritalin. 

Hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thanks much for the book titles, Brenda . . . will look into them!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I make allowances for my lost time and forgive myself ,no sense wasting time crying over what's gone.Since I've just turned 41 and had an ovarian tumor removed in Feb. which resulted in a full hysterectomy, I don't have to worry about menopause so thankfully I won't notice the difference. I do however find myself having more and more difficulty reading. I used to love to read but I cannot finish reading anything informative or technical. I can't read patterns or bearmaking books.I get part way through,lose interest, make up my own technique,get ideas and never finish  bear_angry  It's also hard to get through the curriculum guides and things for school. I even lose track of my point when I start to post on here and my writings totally lose steam. Like now, my poor brain just stalled  :redface:

Board footer