Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I've been wondering about this for several years and finally feel comfortable asking this group:
do any of you contact other bidders (not counting the winning bidder?

Do you thank them for having placed a bid on your work?

Do you ask if they'd like to be on your advance notice list?

Do you ask if they prefer certain lengths (# of days) for auctions to last?
End on a particular day of the week?  End at a particular time?

Basically, does anyone else 'mine' their bidders to develop a future market?

Bobbie

nettie scotland
Website

I don't do it and don't think I would like to be asked myself.It is a bit like those shop assistants who jump on you as soon as you enter the shop.I only communicate with buyers past and present.
Diane xx

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I had thought about this too a few years ago, but read eBay's MANY pages of policy  bear_wacko  and it is against their rules.  However, I DO ask the winning bidder if they'd like to be notified of when I have new bears for sale.  Ebay allows that ONLY if that is not the main purpose of your email.  But you CAN mention it when you are emailing them shipping info or anything else pertaining to their auction.

HTH!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Bobbie, good question.

I don't do that because I feared not only breaking eBay rules, but also, irking and thus driving away potential customers by putting them on mailing lists or sending them unsolicited notices, etc.

However, I just discovered YESTERDAY, believe it or not!, that you can set up a little noodge,  mining your winning bidders for their FUTURE attention, via PayPal.

I was setting up a new seller account yesterday and was just reviewing options in doing so, since it's been a long time since I set up the seller account for POTBELLY BEARS, and one of the tabs I hapened to click was for MERCHANT TOOLS.

Then I clicked AUCTION TOOLS>Offer PayPal on All Your Listings (Automatic Logo Insertion)

and, last:  CUSTOMIZE END OF AUCTION EMAIL

What I found is that it's possible for PayPal to send a note to your winning bidder which makes it that much easier to PAY NOW by PayPal... which I already knew... but which ALSO allows you to write a little personal note, into which you can input your email address directly, your eBay seller ID, and -- this is the marketing part -- an eBay link your buyer can click to ADD TO FAVORITE SELLERS.  So I've now set that up to go out with every auction end to all my customers. 

There is also the option to include a logo banner; sizes are provided on the CUSTOMIZE page. 

If you go to PayPal and click thru the steps outlined above, you can get a look at a "preview" of how this will appear to your customer.  I'm also including it here:

PayPalCustomizeEndofAuction.jpg

I think it's a nice little bit of "mining" you can do, to keep top of mind, and get your customers in the mindset of looking for YOU, which keeps YOU out of the category of "annoying hard-sell eBayer."

I do think, just intuitively, that the banner part is probably very important in terms of grabbing attention in an otherwise colorful and somewhat info cluttered page, so I made sure to design banners that were particularly attention grabbing, so that my buyer's eye would be drawn to my little personal "note" and the option to add me to a FAVORITE SELLERS list.

Do check it out!

>PayPal
>MERCHANT TOOLS
>AUCTION TOOLS
>Offer PayPal on All Your Listings (Automatic Logo Insertion)
>CUSTOMIZE END OF AUCTION EMAIL

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Lisa,
You are correct about Erin being a beauty. 
Erin,
Are you the one who does not put the picture up for safety reasons?  I thought I read that on another thread.
Donna

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I just noticed a bear artist that has a section on her auction page, where people can join her mailing list - is that allowed?
Just curious.
                                          hugs,

Brenda

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Regarding links that may be clicked so that the buyer can request to joing a mailing list...
I just copied this from the Rules & Regs. area of eBay Policies:

"Prohibited links include, but are not limited to:

Links to Web pages that offer to trade, sell or purchase goods or services outside of eBay. This applies whether it is a static URL or an active link

Links to Web sites or pages offering merchandise not permitted on eBay

Links to sites that solicit eBay User IDs, passwords or email addresses from buyers

Links that encourage buyers to place their eBay bids through a site other than eBay

Links or other connections to live chat systems

Links to subscribe to newsletters or mailing lists hosted outside-of-eBay

So, Brenda... that would appear to be in violation of eBay's policies.... I've seen a ton of those as well!   

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Hudson, Ohio

I didn't realize that you couldn't have a mailing list link on your description page either Lisa, until I just looked it up.  You are right, so many people DO use them... after a while you just assume that they are allowed.  That's one of the real problems that eBay has... since rule violations are only "caught" when someone purposefuly turns that seller in.... folks can go on doing things that violate the rules for YEARS without ever realizing it.  Then someone else sees it and figures that if Seller A has been doing it for that long... it must be okay! 

For example, a couple of years ago, i had a link to my website in my description.... it was there FOREVER!  I had no idea that it wasn't allowed, and so did like half the other auctions in the category I was selling in.  Then all of a sudden, I had my auctions removed because someone reported me!  Then, many months later, I reused one of my old descriptions for a new auction... and whoops.... there it was again.... this time completely inadvertently.  That time, someone I know and respect from Teddy Talk was kind enough to point it out to me so I could get rid of it before someone else just reported it directly to eBay and they yanked it. 
If someone you have a relationship with has an auction listing with a violation in it.... I'd urge you to let them know privately..... I know I was so thankful when someone let me know that I had made an eBay boo-boo!     

Just to clarify..... You CAN have one link to your e Mail address in your description though. 

I've never really used any of the little "bells and whistles" that so many folks use... simply because I don't know how!  If it isn't in the auction template form that I use, it just doesn't happen! 

Kim Basta
Wild thyme Originals

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I just noticed a bear artist that has a section on her auction page, where people can join her mailing list - is that allowed?
Just curious.
                                          hugs,

Brenda

Brenda, I have a piece written in my description asking people if they want to be on my notification list:
   "Feel free to email me with any questions, or comments, or to request your name added to my notification list."

This is just a statement not a "link" so I don't know if that makes a difference or not??? Never occurred to me that it might not be permitted, and I have seen others do it (probably where I got the idea!) Here is another one by a fellow Canadian:
    "If youd like to see more of my creations, I invite you to stop by for a visit by following the link on my Ebay ?ME? page or check out my other auctions. Or if youd like to be informed of new auctions or site changes just let me know and you can be added to my list"

Sure would hate to have an auction cancelled because of it so I think I will leave that part off - I don't think I have gotten many addtions from it anyway!

I know I sure would appreciate it if someone emailed me that I was doing something wrong instead of reporting me to ebay as there are so many rules it is easy to make a mistake inadvertantly!
Bear hugs, Edie

Burbank, CA

Lisa,
She is such a humming bird.  Flitting from here to there, no time to talk!  Over 4 and under 6.
Donna

Hudson, Ohio

Lisa.... as far as e Mail links go.... on your description page, you can have one of those lines of text that say, "click here to e Mail me" or even a little logo or a mailbox picture that says, "email me" or something like that... apparently, you can only have ONE clicky thing for your e Mail.... and I belive that it has to be under a certain size if it's a picture type thing. 

As far as mentioning an e mail notification list in your description... that's one I really don't know about.  Apparently you can't have a clickable link that mentions a "mailing list" but I didn't see anyhitng that says you can't mention that you have one... It all gets SO NUTS sometimes, doesn't it?!  The best way to get an idea of whether you might be breaking an eBay listing rule is to just try to imagine it from the Corporate eBay position.... If it is at all possible that it might lead to an easy sale OFF eBay, then you are probably violating something!   You just won't know what rule you've broken until some meanie turns you in and they pull your auction. 

Sellers reporting eachother to eBay is really a pet peeve of mine, and I'm talking here strictly about minor auction description listing infractions.... not shilling, not fraudulent auctions and the like.  I know that everyone is supposed to be on an even playing field (no problem with that!   bear_thumb   )  there are rules for a reason... the biggest reason is so that eBay gets all the money that they are "entitled" to!  I can live with that too!  I just hate it when someone who had no idea that they were even doing something wrong yets their auction yanked because someone else thinks that they might just be doing better if they can eliminate someone that they think is competition.  That's just mean.  I mean, I don't think that we should all turn into auction police, and start informing complete strangers that they have one too many clicky things, or that their logo is half an inch too big....  bear_tongue  bear_ermm   But, really, if you notice something that is a no-no on one of my auctions.... please eMail me and let me know, so I can fix it!   I do the same thing when I happen to run across an auction with a boo-boo, if it's someone I've chatted with before, or I know from here at TT.  nothing sucks worse than to be 6 days into an auction, have it pulled, then try to explain why you've had to relist it!   :hug:  :doh:

bear_wub  bear_smile
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Burbank, CA

Erin,
I'll be there, contract is all sent in.  You should get a table!
Donna

Bobbie, I sent you a PM - you'll notice at the top of the page, when you sign in, it will say "you have 1 new private message.  Hope you see it.

Hugs,

Brenda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, trying to weed through what Erin looks like here to figure out what's been said about eBay mining and auction descriptions...

It sounds like you are all talking about what can be put into your auction description. But what about on the About Me page? You can put your website address there, email, etc. Don't know about a mailing list box. But you can certainly put a huge "Visit my About Me Page to learn more about...... (whatever)!" in your auction description and make it an active link to your About Me page.

As for mining.... if someone did that to me I'd be sending them an email right back asking NOT to be contacted by them again and I'd probably avoid their auctions regardless of how much I liked their product. Unsolicited email like that is as bad as a telemarketer calling me at home! Or is like a car salesperson following you around the lot and won't take "Just Looking" for an answer. I find it rude and pushy and just plain annoying.

I do feel it entirely appropriate to ask a WINNING BIDDER if they'd like to be notified of future auctions or special pieces that become available thru your website, etc. That is different.

OK, I think I've used my allowed Opinionated Soap Box minutes for the day!

suburban Chicago

Whoa... this topic has certainly brought out some different directions! That was actually my intent, as I'm not an 'edgy' person and being non-confrontatiuonal, I don't usually stir-the-waters, but wanted to introduce a subject not previously addressed.

You should know that I combined several ideas in 1 post: questions concerning contact with winning bidders as well as with those that consistently bid on one's item but don't necessarily win.

No, of course I don't pursue clients/bidders. One of the emails I send only after a buyer has received their item, is to ask if they'd like to be placed on an advance notice list. Every single one has sent back an enthusiastic "Yes, Please!". After they've indicated wanting to follow my work, I then inquire if they'd mind giving me their personal preferences - about auction length, day of the week, time of day. Frankly, this has been one of the most flattering (their opinions exressed!) inquiries, to attempt to fit my auctions to their personal schedules. I try to accomadate as many of the polled results as I can.

After having seen some of the same bidders place bids but not win any items, I've written an introductory (contact) email to some of them, thanking them for having placed a bid. Many of the names are ones I've noticed on eBay for a while.  I do not ask them all of the above info! - just a polite "Happy to 'meet' you and TY for your bid." As I do receive prompt replies to these emails, I think that they are appreciated, because they don't just say "You're welcome." but go on to comment on certain pieces I've had in auctions or on websites, etc. In other words, they have been following my work and liked the personal contact.

2 things:
First - from my 2 decades of exhibiting - 12 in the bear world - I never seem to remember that to some collectors we are on a higher platform and they hold us in regard; much as show attendees like to meet the designer/artist, this is that personal touch, initiated by 'the person on the platform'. I'm basically that shy nobody who is extremely honored when someone wishes to plunk down their cold hard cash for this item I created. It's me that's in awe of their spending power and honored that they've chosen to add something I created to their collection.

Second - it's Ruth Johnson's TOTMA - Top Of The Mind Awareness. Keep your name & product in sight.  I put myself in their shoes and would be flattered to receive a simple Thanks from someone whose work I admire enough to pay for.

I don't send out a smothering blanket of emails to all bidders nor contact them again, but in my cases, every one of these non-winning bidders as also swiftly returned my note with an enthusiatic reply as well. Some have gone on to become email friends.... and we never talk Bears again!

Circumstances don't allow some ppl to become the winner but I think that their interest on one's work should be respected and given its due. "Mining' was too strong a word, but it brought all of my questions into 1 word. It's an aggressive word; I wanted some reactions. Thx for giving them to me.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You're welcome!

Given the way you've explained things more specifically, I understand your inquiry and purposes more clearly. 

Like you, I have also considered sending email to those bidders who bid repeatedly but don't take home one of my bears.

But then, I'm always held back by... well... fear. 

Because I once participated on a forum where a particular member took flaming, enraged offense at an email she received which she considered to be "spam" from a bear-related venture... but which, frankly, seemed very much like something she might have wanted to receive, given her interest in teddy bears, and her active participation in bear forums, and her own website blog about her soft sculpture endeavors.  Her name was "mined" from some other bear related venture which was public, as was her email access.  So that was a big red flag about treading lightly where emailing people who didn't SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR email, is concerned.

I also had one person who had actually pro-actively and intentionally, at some point, SIGNED UP for my own mailing list, absolutely blow a gasket one day, and send me the most scathing, rude note.  Keep in mind that I send out email notices only occasionally; maybe once a month, if that.  And they are generally brief, info-packed -- and not just about me and my work, but about bear news I find of interest! 

I was out of town... had sent out a mailing list notice that was about one paragraph long before I left... and while I was away in SF, I got a message from this malcontent saying something to the effect of, "YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT!  Take me off your ridiculous, time and space wasting email list immediately.  Are you stupid, or deaf?  I said take me off!!!"

This was the first time I had ever heard from this person!  And within five minutes, I received two more mails of the same "quality," each a new version of the last.  It felt absolutely awful to me, and I spent the next thirty minutes alternating between indignation at the cruelty of it all, and crying from the viciousness and unnecessary nature of it.  It was truly an attack.  It felt seriously bad.  And entirely undeserved.  Ya know, because UNSUBSCRIBE would have done the same job, with much less evisceration involved.

So, for those reasons, I always inevitably stop myself from mailing anyone anything -- heck, even ASKING if they want me to mail them stuff -- unless they actually, actively, absolutely SEEK ME OUT on their own.

Call me Chicken.  I'll take it!

It IS a good idea, though, and it seems to make a lot of sense to me, to contact people who have shown interest in my work, but haven't won it yet.  I'm just too afraid to try!

I'm glad to hear, Bobbie, that you've actually had good success with this.  I may just try it myself some day!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

This has been very interesting, Bobbie to see everyone's point of view on this and I think you are right that it is nice to put the personal touch in there sometimes - which is what is there at shows and missing on ebay! Emailing someone who has bid on your bears numerous times and not won would seem to me a very thoughtful way of expressing to them that you appreciate their interest in your work. I have myself bid on bears that I knew I was not going to be able to "buy" but could just not resist putting in a bid as a way of saying "Wow! Is that ever great - especially if it is something that for some reason is not getting bids or is sitting far lower than it should be. I feel my bid will show them that someone noticed and appreciated their efforts even if I can't really afford to totally go after it. I think the difference here, in whether someone will be flattered or annoyed, would all be in the wording of the email.
Bear hugs, Edie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

edie wrote:

I think the difference here, in whether someone will be flattered or annoyed, would all be in the wording of the email.

Edie, I think rational, kind-tending people would absolutely agree with you.  How "awful" could it possibly be, as a collector, or would-be collector, to get a note saying something like, "I just wanted to write and say that I've noticed your interest in my work and deeply appreciate it.  Would you like to join my mailing list and be notified of new work when it becomes available?"

Trust me when I tell you, though, that once you've witnessed an entirely different kind of person's response to "unwanted, un-asked for" mail -- vitriolic rage, utter contempt, and unbelievably cruel, and often publically stated (on forums) comments -- you'll likely keep believing that "it's all in the wording" (because that makes perfect sense!)... but you'll likely also worry enormously that ACTING ON that belief might land you in undeserved, and entirely unpleasant!, hot water.

Okay, here goes - I emailed Bobbie privately as I didn't want to start another Ebay controversy.  I have decided to post my response
here as well:

Hi Bobbie,
    I thought I'd PM you, since the majority of the people say it's against ebay rules to ask potential customers.  I did not know that, and I always email new bidders to ask if the want to be on my list and 99% have said "yes".  I just word it something like this:

"I just want to say "thank you" for your bid on my auction.  I am always flattered when someone thinks enough of my work to place a bid.   I just wondered if you might be interested in being added to my "notify" list so you will know when I list a new auction.  If you are interested, please just send me a quick email and if you are not interested, please ignore this email and I won't contact you again.  Thank's for your time,

Warmest regards,"

I have not had any negative response to my emails at all and I don't see the harm.  I have ended up making some very good "internet" friends from my inquiries.  I think that many customers are excited to have direct contact with the artist, especially if it's an artist whose work they admire.   I certainly wouldn't be annoyed if a seller asked me, especially if I had bid on their auction.  Anyway, just my two cents worth.  I didn't want to end starting a "yes-no" thread on Teddy-talk.  I'm just curious - do you contact bidders? 

Hugs,

Brenda

I honestly didn't know it was against ebay rules - just call me stupid, for not checking.  However, I have had such great response to my emails, I will continue to do it.  I have a situation where one or two bidders buy almost everything I make, and although that's very flattering, I really try to puruse other avenues to build up my customer base.   

Shelli, I'm soooo sorry you have had such a horrible experience with a potential customer.  I think if that had happened to me, I would also have been devasted and stopped emailing immediately.  Fortunately for me, that has not been the case.  I guess the bottom line is that everyone has to do what feels right for them.

Hugs,

Brenda

suburban Chicago

from Shelli:

Her name was "mined" from some other bear related venture which was public, as was her email access.  So that was a big red flag about treading lightly where emailing people who didn't SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR email, is concerned.

But in the scenario I present, they actually made the first move/contact, by placing a bid. Yes, I certainly agree that some wouldn't want their name harvested from an unrelated source.

You've certainly received some nasties! That tiny percentage is going to be in every population, be it an amoeba colony or Corporate America.

I rec'd a several emails today, one of which included a copy of the message they're likely to send. The funny thing is I could have written it myself, as it's very close to what I've written in the past!:

"I'd like to "Thank you" for your bid on my auction.  I am always flattered when someone thinks enough of my work to place a bid.   I'm writing to inquire if you might be interested in being added to my "notify" list so you will know in advance when I'm about to list a new auction."
"If you are interested, please click on Reply and return an empty email. If you are not interested, please ignore this email and I won't contact you again.   
Thanks for your time and Warmest Regards,"

I've been burrowed in my manuscript so I haven't looked into the careful directions you posted yesterday - I intend to!!

Edie & Lisa, how important is the wording! Remember that I don't contact everyone who places a bid, only occasionally to someone who bids but does not win. I come like a supplicant, but with dignity and a respect for my work and the bidders.
Lisa, I do like the idea of offering to design something for a frequent, no-winning bidder!

And Edie -[quote I have myself bid on bears that I knew I was not going to be able to "buy" but could just not resist putting in a bid as a way of saying "Wow! Is that ever great - especially if it is something that for some reason is not getting bids or is sitting far lower than it should be. I feel my bid will show them that someone noticed and appreciated their efforts even if I can't really afford to totally go after it. quote]
Me, too! And have sometimes unexpectedly won a wonderful item!

as without her she wouldn't be able to receive the amount of $$ she is getting for them

What a crass way to say Thank You (that their bid just made the winning bidder up their bid. I'd love to shake that person till their teeth rattled! Makes one wonder if that collector then views all of us through that attitude veil?)

To 'mine' would be 'to collect', but in this case it implies negative connotations

suburban Chicago

Thx for posting that Brenda, (I said that it was a valid opinion and should be read!!) I paraphrased your email a little - we must've been posting at the same moment!

I have a situation where one or two bidders buy almost everything I make, and although that's very flattering, I really try to puruse other avenues to build up my customer base.

And this brings me back full circle to the other eBay topic I weighed in on - using Private ID auctions. 2 deep-pocket bidders seem to purchase almost everything and I don't want to turn either of them off, but I do want to encourage others, to widen the collector base.

Thx all!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

thumperantiques wrote:

I honestly didn't know it was against ebay rules - just call me stupid, for not checking.

Heck no you're not stupid!!!  My gosh they've got so many rules and stuff now... you could read them all and STILL not know "what is allowed"  bear_grin   Although I did state that I don't do it... this has been a very interesting converstaion!!  I personally would not have a problem with anyone if they emailed me about something I bid on... I just stated what I personally do bear_original

Thanks Erin - I figure that if they don't like it, they can delete it and so far almost every single person has responded with a resounding "yes".  No one has ever responded negatively or reported it, as I have had no notice from Ebay.   And by the way, that's how I acquired my two buyers that seem to win almost everything I make.  I am good friends with both of them, emailing back and forth for all kinds of things - they are both truly wonderful people, not just customers.  Take care and bye for now.

Hugs,

Brenda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'll admit the wording sounds nice and friendly, nothing pushy.  bear_grin   bear_thumb  But not all sellers can be as nice.   bear_angry

If you email someone who has bid on multiple items of yours over time without winning I can again see the good side about making personal contact with them.  bear_flower

But for me, emailing every bidder is just too pushy and I'd never do it. But hey, perhaps I have fewer sales because I don't go after my bidders and keep myself in their faces. It's a chance I'll take while I respect the rights and privacy of my bidders through eBay.

Just MY choice. We can't all be of like mind, now can we???  :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta
Shelli wrote:
edie wrote:

I think the difference here, in whether someone will be flattered or annoyed, would all be in the wording of the email.

Edie, I think rational, kind-tending people would absolutely agree with you.  How "awful" could it possibly be, as a collector, or would-be collector, to get a note saying something like, "I just wanted to write and say that I've noticed your interest in my work and deeply appreciate it.  Would you like to join my mailing list and be notified of new work when it becomes available?"

Trust me when I tell you, though, that once you've witnessed an entirely different kind of person's response to "unwanted, un-asked for" mail -- vitriolic rage, utter contempt, and unbelievably cruel, and often publically stated (on forums) comments -- you'll likely keep believing that "it's all in the wording" (because that makes perfect sense!)... but you'll likely also worry enormously that ACTING ON that belief might land you in undeserved, and entirely unpleasant!, hot water.

Shelli, just wanted to tell you that I had not read your message when I posted mine (guess we were posting about the same time!) so please don't think that I was referring to anything you said! That was an awful experience for you and with someone like that you just have to ignore it and realize that it is nothing you have done and just the type of person they are or something they are going through that caused them to behave that way. I have a saying that I try to live by - only two things that people say can hurt me:
1. Something that I know to be true but haven't wanted to admit about myself.
2. Something that I really don't feel is true but is said by someone whose opinion  I value and trust.
This person who emailed you was obviously neither.
Bear hugs, Edie

Pages:

Board footer