Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

okay, so I'm just looking for a place to complain.

So, you go into ebay to look at artist bears. I see how many are listed and I'm amazed. It's tough to keep up, to see them all. I can only imagine how a collector would feel. It's easy to be missed as an artist with all the choice.

So........my pet peeve is when people 'spam' ebay and put things that aren't artist bears in that catagory. Sure you'll find one or two, but there are sometimes where there are just pages of 'buy-it-now' items that aren't artists bears.

I'm glad I have freedom to list an item in any catagory, but at the same time wish there were some rules preventing this.

Thanks for letting me rant.......

what are your pet peeves????????

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Heather, I know what you mean. Computer monitors in the artist bear category, annoys me a lot. Once I emailed a seller, but they answered they couldn't change the category, because less than 24 hours were left. Often its one-day-auctions. The strange thing is, they even get bids.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

That eBay isn't perfect!!!  bear_tongue   bear_tongue   bear_tongue

And at the risk of being shot..... That eBay even exists!!!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Glacierbaybears Glacier Bay Bears
Japan

Heather, this peeves me too!  :doh:  :doh:

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Uh......too many pet peeves to count? :twisted:   Actually my worst one is all the fees, and the fees for the fees, and again the fees bear_whistle ........

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

That drives me nuts too! I hate when there is mohair and ultrasuede in the mix among the bears! There is enough to go fishing through without having to add non-bears to the mix!

sarahjane Brisbane

Definately the fees and especially the fees on items that don't sell!!

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

HEAR  bear_grin HEAR bear_grin  HEAR bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Just wanted to point out that sometimes people post their eBay auction items in two (or more) categories.  It costs more but also exposes your item to a wider audience, esp. for specialized items.  So perhaps people who sell mohair post to BEAR SUPPLIES and also BEAR ARTISTS thinking that there is some overlap and interest between the two.  And as a seller myself, it's really the number one goal to SELL THAT ITEM.  So I guess if that means cross-promoting across two categories, it makes sense.  I just skim by those non-artist-bear items myself.  If it becomes too big a problem over time, though, I'm sure it will start to bug me a little bit as well, because I shop for that 'other stuff' elsewhere and I likes me my bear-lookin' eBay time, without distractions!

:)

I've just presumed that this is why pricey dolls sometimes appear in the ranks of the artist bears; because they're a second category listing.

I, personally, have never listed in two categories, simply because I am a miser when it comes to fees, and prefer to pay as few of them as possible!  Does anyone else have an experience in doing this?  And, if so, what were your conclusions about the efficacy of this choice?

Also, this reminds me to ask... people keep commenting about eBay UK vs. eBay US etc. etc. etc.  Or some such thing.  I'm a bit of a doofus on this, apparently.  Am I understanding it correctly?  That if you post to eBay US it shows up everywhere worldwide... but if you post to eBay elsewhere (is there an eBay China, for example?), it only shows up in that country?

Thanks, all!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Also, this reminds me to ask... people keep commenting about eBay UK vs. eBay US etc. etc. etc.  Or some such thing.  I'm a bit of a doofus on this, apparently.  Am I understanding it correctly?  That if you post to eBay US it shows up everywhere worldwide... but if you post to eBay elsewhere (is there an eBay China, for example?), it only shows up in that country?

If you put your listing to sell worldwide then it will show up on all the other ebay sites or if you specify certain countries then it will show up only on those ebay sites.  i.e. if you post on ebay.com and say you will only ship to the US then it will not show up on any other ebay sites. So if I am looking for something to buy (I live in Canada) when I am shopping I only look at ebay.ca and then I am not shown things that I cannot get *grin*.
Hope this helps, Shelli
Bear hugs, Edie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

edie wrote:

If you put your listing to sell worldwide then it will show up on all the other ebay sites or if you specify certain countries then it will show up only on those ebay sites.  i.e. if you post on ebay.com and say you will only ship to the US then it will not show up on any other ebay sites. So if I am looking for something to buy (I live in Canada) when I am shopping I only look at ebay.ca and then I am not shown things that I cannot get *grin*.
Hope this helps, Shelli
Bear hugs, Edie

Okay, I'm still confused.  I blame the natural hair color. bear_original

So... if things on eBay.com are available worldwide... why can you NOT get them in Canada?  Is Canada not a part of the world?

(--> cracking up here)

But I'm serious.  Wouldn't you want to look at eBay.com AND eBay.ca?  And the stuff on eBay.ca is available ONLY to people in Canada???  But the stuff on eBay.com is ALSO available to people in Canada, right???

AARGH!

Thanks.  Kinda. bear_original

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm confused to Shelli

I use ebay.ca and I see everything you do. Only differenece is the $'s are in canadian amounts. But as long as you put your listing will ship anywhere or to Canada I will see your auction.

I hope I just made sense..........

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Shelli,
Maybe I didn't explain very well! Things posted on ebay.com are only available worldwide if the lister is willing to ship worldwide! If you list something and say that you will only ship to the US then it will only show up on ebay.com not on ebay.ca or any other ebay site. The reason I only look under ebay.ca when I am buying is that all goods world wide that are listed on any ebay site where the sellers are wiling to ship to Canada will show up there. I learned this the hard way by bidding on something on ebay.com and then finding out that the seller didn't ship to Canada. If I only look on ebay.ca then I will not find something that I love that the seller will not sell to me! There are  quite a number of sellers in the US who only want to deal with their own country (because of the customs and shipping hassle some have told me!) and I am sure this is true of every country. (I think Canada is still part of the world - but sometimes I wonder! *grin*)

And Heather, actually you won't see everything exactly the same on ebay.ca as Shelli does on ebay.com as the items listed for sale only in Canada will not show up on ebay.com and items listed on ebay.com (or any other ebay site) will only show up on ebay.ca if the seller has indicated that they will ship to Canada.
Hope this unconfuses both of you *grin*
Bear hugs, Edie
P.S. Heather, would I have ever met you at Bear Fair in Calgary, or were you into bears back then???

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I don't mean to get off the eBay.ca vs. US vs. AU vs. UK vs. tim-buck-too but I have a pet peeve and maybe you all can help me with it....

Have you ever wished, when checking a user's feedback, that you could just click on the red minus button and see just the negative feedback??? I mean, it could be burried in pages and pages of feedback if it's a very active user. I just find it frustrating that you can't just click on positive, negative or neutral and get just those feedbacks. Is there a way to do this that I am missing?????

Help!!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Daphne - Yes, Yes, Yes - I wish they would find a way to implement a function like that!  There are many times I have waded through pages of feedback to find the negatives, so I could decide if I wanted to bid on a sellers item or not.  Unfortunately, I don't believe it is possible to do it.

As for the items showing up on other countries, I believe if I say I will ship to the U.K., my item will be shown on U.K. ebay, but it is my experience that you have to know how to search for it.  I don't believe it is just "in the regular listings".  I have found my items on U.K. ebay by searching "items available to the U.K."  Anyone else have experience looking for their items on the other ebays?

Hugs,

Brenda

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I agree that would be handy to see the negative comments easily but I think ebay does it this way so that if there are a few negatives over a long period of time they are taken in perspective rather than seeing a list of a dozen or so all together that might scare people off even it they have been over a period of a number of years.

As far as I know, Brenda, whatever ebay site you are on you can search for items available from only that country or available to that country from worldwide.

I'd kind of forgotten the whole theme of this thread *grin* so maybe I better put my own pet peeve about ebay! That is people who rip you off on postage! I mean I don't mind paying a dollar or two extra for handling or whatever and realize it is a lot easier to just give a set rate if you sell a lot of similar items (which is what I do) but when I have to pay $15 or $20 for a small item and it comes with a postage on it of $2.50 I don't think that is being fair! Also I don't like PayPal's buyer protection as it means that a lot of dealers will not ship by letterpost to Canada (which is So cheap!) as that does not have tracking and then they can be ripped off by unscrupulous buyers. Sometimes that means that you have to pay as much for shipping as you did for the item if is an inexpensive item and the seller has had problems and will only ship with tracking which is so much more expensive. I think the buyer protection should only be on items over $100 or over $200 or something like that and then it is up to the buyer if they want to have insurance or tracking on their item. As I buyer I wouldn't worry about buyer protection anyway unless I was buying a really expensive item.
Bear hugs, Edie

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Well, thanks Edie. Now I understand how ebay works like that. I've always wondered.

ANd I agree about the postage. Or how some seller will try and avoid fees. So a $50 item is only listed for $5. BUt the shipping is $45.00. Makes me crazy. Poor people who don't know what they're doing, or 1st time users of ebay. It's easy to get caught up in that.

Ahh, pet peeves. Gotta love 'em!

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Daphne,
OHHHHHH SOOOOOOO YES
CLICK CLICK CLICK PAGE 136  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Board footer