Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

K Pawz Guest

Hi Everyone,

I know that we do bear swaps, but has anyone ever done a bear stuff goody bag swap??? You know where you go through your stuff and make up a bag of things that you are not going to use or don't want anymore and then trade with someone else...I have done this in quilting before and it is great...you know the whole "another persons trash is someone else's treasure".  I know I have tonnes of stuff here that I will never use, and I am sure lots of others do as well. Just a thought, I would be willing to organize this if anyone is willing....

Cheers,
Krista

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

Oooh, that sounds like fun!!  I've lots of stuff, ribbons and etc., fun fun fun!  I could even make up a little materials bag of fairy wing material and a little sheet on how to make bear fairy wings.

Count me in!!

Amelia

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Krista

I think it's a great idea....Mel and I were talking about this a while ago and thinking you could even have themed goodie bag swaps - like colour or season or whatever!  I would love to swap bears but I really don't have the time (treading water and sinking fast at the moment!!)  and I have an obsession with ribbons and trinkets and things that I'm sure a lot of people here share.

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

That sounds cool!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

That was discussed a while back but nothing came of it... I AM IN (of course LOL  :crackup: )

K Pawz Guest

All righty then I am now officially putting the call out for names of people who would like to join this swap, how about say a week from now I compile the list and draw names for swaping and then we can go from there????

And Amelia the fairy wings sound awesome...

Hugs,
Krista

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

It sounds really good but I need more info. Sorry, I'm a pain!! Are there guidelines to say what and how much you put in the bag.I mean if one person had mohair and some expensive trim but they got ribbon bits and inexpensive things,would they be upset? Just wondering how it would work   bear_smile    :hug:   :hug:

K Pawz Guest

I figured that we could figure out the details as we went. I was thinking it could work  kind of like the bear swap in which  the swappers once names were figured out of who was swapping with who could  talk to each other on what type of things they would send each other...
If this doesn't work for everyone we could always set limits on things....say a list of items to be included in each bag... for example,small piece of mohair or synthetic, eyes, joints, ribbons, bows, accesories...etc...
Let me know what you all think would be the best way to go....

Cheers,
Krista

bhbears Bearhaven Bears
Merrickville, Ontario

Okay sign me up too!!! I love getting things in the mail besides things from BILL URGENT, that guy manages to find me no matter where I hide. I think he is stalking me bear_grin  bear_grin
hugs Deborah

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
bhbears wrote:

I love getting things in the mail besides things from BILL URGENT, that guy manages to find me no matter where I hide. I think he is stalking me bear_grin  bear_grin

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sounds like fun. I may also need a few more details before comitting completely, but I also love getting things in the mail.

But I have a hard time picturing how to make it totally fair.......

chris009av Real Deal Bears

I would love to be in this.... Just love getting things in the mail  bear_grin

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I suggusted this a while ago no one was interested.  Let me know what you had in mind. :hug:

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Count me in on the swap.  I have so much stuff and would love to participate.  Sounds like fun.

K Pawz Guest

What does everyone think? Should we make up a list of items that should be include??? Or should we just all resign to the fact that not everyone will send the same things and enjoy the getting something in the mail, and make it a true GRAB BAG of things...I am willing to go either way, but would like to know what everyone else thinks. I would just hate to leave anyone out if they don't have any mohair to spare...or something like that...The other thing that would work is once the names are drawn for partners to hash it out with each other types of things they will put in without totally spoiling the suprise...Let Me Know what you want and then I will put out the final call for names.

Hugs,
Krista

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I am up for whatever but I am suffering from "not getting stuff in the mail" withdrawal  :crackup: 

I am not sure if it would be better to have a list of items to include (but leave it general instead of saying one piece of mohair) or putting a price limit on it... (but that would be a guesstimate)

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Just me jumping into the middle of things here... sorry!

But I had a thought. What if you all used a BAG for this grab bag type swap? OK, so not a very original idea.

But if every one used a paper lunch bag and filled it that would keep the size down to something fairly inexpensive to ship (unless you are going to ship steel shot!) and then perhaps anyone participating knows that it's a chance they take if they are going to send mohair that they might not get any in return. Or, work that out with your swap buddy once you have one.

I have oodles of accessories and stuff and more stuff... I'd have no idea what to put for a value on some of it. Otherwise it would be easy to limit it to say a $25 swap or something. But I bet I'm not the only one who would be hard pressed to put a price on some of her stuff.

So I guess I don't see an easy answer.

But I'd love to participate! After getting credit card offer number 5 this month (and it's only May 2nd!!!!) I realized I don't get any fun stuff in the mail any more!  bear_cry

Daphne

K Pawz Guest

I totally agree Daphne, Iwas just myself trying to figure out how to put a value on some of the odds and ends I have here...I will work out some official details and put them together...although still open for more input...

Hugs,
Krista

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

..I don't have paper lunch bags---would a ziplock baggie work?  Either quart or gallon size, I guess the two people swapping could figure out what size bag?  That way it'd be up to the individuals?  I know me being a mini bear maker, no way I'd need big amounts of anything, I love odds and ends.

Amelia

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Perhaps mini makers should swap with mini makers.... bigger bear makers with bigger bear makers..... I wouldn't know what to do with 3 mm eyes or ity bitty accessories... nor would a mini maker be able to use a lace collar meant to fit a 12" bear!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

i've been pondering this for a few days....I LOVE swaps but I know how horribly wrong it can go with no guidelines and equally with too many guidelines.

I have to say that I would prefer not to swap supplies (i.e. eyes, joints,)  there's two reasons for this - one they're not pretty!!!  and two, for me, every single thing that I buy in terms of hardware type supplies has to be imported - eyes, joints, tpins, haemostats, mini bear fabric, ultrasuede - everything.  Our dollar sucks against the US$ and even more so against the pound - that piece of vintage long pile that you think is expensive at $20 actually costs me $40.  now, I'm not complaining about this - I chose a craft that has bad supply here and luckily I sell mostly in US$ so the costs balance out but it makes no sense for me to be sending these things back to the States!!

However....the pretty things I would love to swap.    If we swapped to a dollar amount, it's easy enough for me to look on line and work out what x amount of $US of ribbons, beads ccute little things looks like and package up something....and I can even have unique new zealand pretty things make their way into the package!

yay...sign me up - can't wait!!

what do you think about the themed idea?  when I did bear swaps many moons ago, there would be a theme - eg "cute as a bug", "magical and mystical" "red white blue"- we would swap a bear and also accessories that fit into the theme.  So we could do something like that perhaps??

I think it would be fun to find out our swap partner's favourite colour and send a themed package of that colour.  hmm going off on a tangent here so will shut up.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

No reason to shut up, Melissa! you had very very good ideas!!!

I think a zip lock bag is a good idea (since it will keep moisture out....)

Daphne, good ideas!!!! I have TONS of everything pretty much......

I think to do something "general" instead of eyes and joints is a good idea! who wants to get a box of joints and eyes LOL

OOOOHH I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Daphne's suggestion of mini bear makers swapping with mini bear makers wouldn't work for me. I have loads of stuff for larger bears, but now only make bears around 6". So I thought that all this great stuff I have would be better use for someone that makes bigger bears.  I wonder if the people that make bigger bears have the oposite problem???
Oh and Daphne teheteheteh I have a secret  :dance:

K Pawz Guest

Here's a thought, going along with some of the previous posts...what if we did it not with bear making supplies, but with accesories for bears in general like ribbons and such, but once the partners are drawn and if they want to swap mohair or synthetic or mini bear stuff amongst themselves that would be fine as well..but we would leave that up to the individual partners to decide. I don't know how well a theme would work since we are not going out to get new things but sending things we already have. I don't think that we should add a bear into the equation right now though since there is another bear swap coming up here very soon, with the names to be drawn this month, so for those of us entered into that swap I think it might be too much???? I will work out details for this swap and post them after I take my baby for his walk (big Puppy).

Hugs,
Krista

Just another thought here, when I make up the list maybe if someone wanted to swap bear fabric, or something specific you could put it with your name, and we could right from the onset try and accomadate partners that would like to swap like things?????Just a thought

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I agree it should be accessories and 'pretty' things... not joints and eyes... we'll already have a stock of that stuff any way. And I agree on no theme.. hard to do if we are trying to trade stuff we already have, not buying new stuff.

My idea in mini to mini trades and big to big trades was so that one of us who makes big bears doesn't get accessories that would be too small for them and vice versa. We could put next to our name when making the list of participants if we have mini accessories or regular sized accessories. Not whether you make minis or bigger bears so then Chris-with-a-secret can get rid of some of her big bear goodies even though she makes little bears now. Am I making sense????

Krista.. I'm thinking that once you get the guidelines established and are ready for a list of names you ought to start a new thread with something like "Accessories Swap... Sign Up Now!" as the title so we'll get more participants... just a thought! :)

Chris....... I hate secrets....tell me, tell me!!!  bear_laugh  bear_tongue   :hug:

Board footer