Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Ok Renae in another topic bought up the topic of names.
Now when I set out in my bearmaking I called myself Bambridge Bears.  Why?simply because I have 4 daughters that I would love to impart the love of bears to and I named it for them.
Only recently discovered another artist who calls hers Bainbridge Bears.  And has done so for much longer then I.  like 10 years longer.
Now the question is should I change my name?
It is extremely close to hers and I would hate to have ANYONE think I am trying to ride on her coat tails, or because I have only just discovered this and the name is different and we are on different sides of the world should I just leave it?
PLease what do you think?

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Hey Bronwen...no one has annswered you yet bear_sad  I'm not sure...There was another name that was similar that I saw a while ago...was it bergamin and bengamin...something like that...I think its totally up to you...how that name makes you feel and how personal it is to YOU.  This other person may not be around in 2 yrs time...would you be kicking yourself that you changed names???? 
hope this helps some....
good luck
xox sarah

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Bronwen,

I wouldn't change your name over a thing like this! Bain and Bam sound quite distinct to me.  :hug:

Eileen

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

they're definitely different words - unless you mumble I guess lol

I would say keep it, but if you still feel unsure, perhaps you could email her
& see how she feels about it?

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I say you are fine. You can't help things like this. It's not a direct copy, so what do you do.

I don't think it looks like you are copying at all.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Hi Bronwen,

I was at a show on Saturday and a few tables away from Bainbridge Bears.  I didn't get a chance to talk to her directly, but she seemed like a very sweet lady.  If I'm remembering her at the right table, she had her elderly mother with her, who was selling hand-knit teddy sweaters.  If you're concerned about this at all and it would put your mind at ease to get a definitive answer, I'd suggest contacting her directly and find out what she thinks about it.  I don't think it's a problem myself, but that's just my two cents....? 

Best wishes,
Kelly

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

No Browen,  Just carry on ... BOTH sound totally different.. bear_original

Ripley, Queensland

Thanks I have emailed her.  And am waiting on a response.  If there is no problems I wil retain my name.  I like my name may not be as eye catching as some but it is comfortable for me.
Thanks for the feedback.

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

do update when you hear back!

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Browen,
I think there will often be similar names, you should keep your name it is not spelt the same and you have not done it to cash in on another Artists work.
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

Actually I would change the name just to avoid any confusion, especially if you haven't had the name too long or spent too much on labels etc]. I believe they are very similar and a Collector could go to the wrong name which could result in a lost sale. I just think it may become a hassle for you in the future.
Susan

Ripley, Queensland

I have had the name going on 3 years now so that was my dilema.  If I had only just started out I think it would but I have people who know me now so I would prefer to keep it.

Board footer