Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

HI Girls.

Well, i was sitting here on this grey bank holiday Sunday afternoon deciding whether to slob out in front of the TV and watch an old movie (with choccies) or go poke around in the garden.
To be honest i did'nt fancy doing either so i dragged out all the bits and bobs that i have accumulated over the past few months and thought i would have a go at making one of these little shrine/photo frames that are the all the rage at the moment.

Ever heard of Slide Mailers? I had'nt. Then i found some on eBay and bought a couple and put them aside as something to try when i had the time. They are fab little things, you get a very strong bi-fold card, glass slide and copper tape to edge the glass. They are only small, this is about 4.5" x 4" but you can get them with 1, 2, 3, or 4 glass slides.

You decorate them however you want with whatever you want and make the most gorgeous little thingies out of them. I've made one to use as a photo frame - i can see that they would make excellent gifts for birthdays, weddings etc.

I have had loads of fun making this but it is as fiddly as a 'fish in a bar of soap' as my mum used to say ha ha ha

Here's some quick pics i took just to show you what i made.

slidefile1.JPG

slidefile2.JPG

slidefile3.JPG

I have lined the glass apertures with dragonfly tissue paper and covered the outside covers with a distressed harlequin patterned paper then cut and pasted scrapbook papers inside and pasted little scraps of matching papers on the front cover.

I have discovered that i have more patience than i thought i had and that glue and i are natural enemies - but i won the battle today for a change!

I am going to print out a couple of new pics of my boys and pop them in the little apertures, put the glass slides on top and keep it next to bed so i can keep my eye on them!
:dance:

Attaching the copper to the glass is a pain in the butt as you have to get it dead square or it all looks wonky and cutting out the paper to fit around the fancy shaped apertures would try the patience of a saint!

Let me know if you have tried making these girls and what you think of my first effort

Penny  :hug:  :love:

P.S. Mitred corners are the spawn of satan and drive me nuts - but they do look nice on the covers!
:twisted:

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

You've done a fantastic job, Penny. I love the colours, and the copper edging, and....well, just everything!

To be honest, I haven't seen these before, although I'm family with the raw material 'cos I used to work in a biology lab and it's the kind of thing we'd keep our slides in... Who'd have thought I'd see them again on TT!!!!

Thanks for sharing this Pen. You know you'll be starting a new TT craze, don't you?!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Penpen, that is so cool - I love making that sort of thing and the fiddlier it is, the better I like it.  You did a fab job on yours - it's truly lovely.  Did you get it on UK ebay?  Ive not heard of those and I'm always in the craft shops here.  What category would you look under?

I spent two days last winter making a miniature doll house with electric lights (about 6" x4" x 2 3/4"), complete with stained wooded floors and completely painted inside and out.   I had originally planned to auction it off with a teddy.  Took me so long, I won't part with it now LOL!

Hugs,

Brenda

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Very cool!!  I've seen the glass slides before but not set into a card holder like that.  Fabulous!!  Yet another fun project that will have to wait until.......January of next year!! 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

clare14 Country Bears
England

Wooohooo, ark at you!!!  I've never seen these before (I lead a very sheltered life  :crackup: )  They are wonderful - well done Penny!!   :hug:

Did you get it on UK ebay?  Ive not heard of those and I'm always in the craft shops here.  What category would you look under?

Brenda - you just type in the search box 'slide mailers' and you should get lots pop up in the results on eBay - they are for sale on eBay.com and eBay.co.uk
The dolls house sounds fabulous - where are the pics though - pics pics pics Brenda - yu it's the law here on TT!
:dance:  bear_tongue

I can't wait to do a 4 slide one next and i'm gonna make it all gothic and dark and maybe a bit creepy.......................i'm gonna put old family photographs in it and believe me they are creepy
bear_shocked  bear_wacko

Penny  :hug:

Penny,
     Thanks for the info - as soon as I leave here, I'm going on a "hunt" for them.  Sorry about the doll house, it's packed and in storage in my daughter's garage.  When we finally get moved, I'll post a picture!  We have a conditional offer on our house, but man, it's taking a long time.

Hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Pen . . . what a creative girl you are!!  That is tooooooo cool!

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Penny, I've never seem one before, but I think you did a great job.

Lisa, I don't know if you noticed the size of mine - it's a miniature doll house about 6" wide x 4" high x 2 3/4" deep.  It has four tiny, tiny lights - two at each end and it's a cape cod style house, painted slate blue.  Anyway, I don't have access to it as it's packed and it storage while we sell and relocate, but I promise to post a picture, when we get settled.

hugs,

Brenda

I don't have access to it as it's packed and it storage while we sell and relocate, but I promise to post a picture, when we get settled.

We will keep you to that Brenda - i would love to see it. I bet is it beautiful and wee and sooo magical having a little house like that...............so PICS as soon as you can!
bear_tongue  bear_thumb  bear_flower

Stellajella Wien

Penny, WICKED!  bear_grin

This looks wayyyyyy cool!
I cheke ebay and foud some which I consider cheap : http://cgi.ebay.de/4-Double-Slide-Maile … dZViewItem
I won´t buy them; I had bad experience with customs fees when buying something from overseas, but I´ll have a look in the craft shop I know.
You really have incrediblly good ideas! Amazing!

That reminds me: I used to love shopping in a shop in Hertford that I went to when my ex drove me there ( never dared driving on the " wrong" side of the road  bear_original  )
I´m pretty sure you know it, they sell fairies and flowers and candles, silver and fat ladies in floating tyres and all sorts of things, but I have no idea what it was called.
Just plain lovely and cuddly and old fashioned.

Gaby bear_flower

Stellajella Wien

Huh! Now I know why I remember the shop in Herford!
The dragon fly paper!!! I think they use it and I kept some for a while....lovely-jovely  :dance:

Gaby bear_flower

That reminds me: I used to love shopping in a shop in Hertford that I went to when my ex drove me there ( never dared driving on the " wrong" side of the road    )
I´m pretty sure you know it, they sell fairies and flowers and candles, silver and fat ladies in floating tyres and all sorts of things, but I have no idea what it was called.
Just plain lovely and cuddly and old fashioned.

WIGGINTONS??????

It's a lovely old fashioned shop full of charming and unusual things Gaby - is that the one you are thinkingof?

Stellajella Wien

Yezzzzz, Penny, Wiggintons in Andrew Street....I could get lost there for hours  bear_wub

Gaby :hug:  bear_flower

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Great job Pen.  I've never seen that before.   Very cool !  :clap:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Wonderful Penny!  I've never seen this before either buy its lovely to see  bear_thumb
xox Sarah

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Sorry Penny, but I'm totally confused with what it is that you have done. I dont understand what it is that I'm looking at. :doh:  bear_wacko sigh!  Wendy

Board footer