Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I just got this 'breaking news alert' from our local tv station in my email:

BANGKOK, Thailand -- U.S. government geologists classify it as a "great" earthquake.

A magnitude-8.0 quake has struck near the South Pacific island of Tonga. And a tsunami warning has been issued for for Fiji and New Zealand, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

A tsunami warning predicted a giant wave could hit Fiji and New Zealand within minutes.

A Tongan police officer in the capital, Nuku'alofa, said there were no immediate reports of damage or a tsunami.

The temblor, classified by the USGS as a "great" quake, struck 95 miles south of Neiafu, Tonga, and 1,340 miles north-northeast of Auckland, New Zealand. It occurred 20 miles beneath the sea floor.

The U.S. National Weather Service warned that a tsunami could strike Fiji as soon as 1:13 p.m. EDT and New Zealand by 2:21 p.m. EDT.

I hope our New Zealand friends are ok.

I'm really worried!

Please check in!

K Pawz Guest

OMG me too...I visited Tonga a few years ago while I was in the Navy...I hope they are all okay, they are such awesome people...the same goes for all the New Zelanders...went there as well during the same trip...fingers are crossed that everybody will be okay...

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

According to the news reports on the web, if there is going to be a tsunami it should hit around now..... let's all hope that the danger will pass without any incident....

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

haven't noticed anything yet and I live right in the tsunami hot spot about half a kilometre from the beach....will have to check with the paper when I get to work.

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Come on everyone - please check in - we need to know you are all O.K.

Sandra  :redface:

alexisbears Alexis Bears
Wellington

I also live in New Zealand, on the south coast of the North Island, and havent heard a thing about it!

Alexis

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hope the tsunami report was incorrect for you New Zealanders and that everything is okay now!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I didn't mean to raise unnecessary concern..... this report was indeed in the news..... but I got to thinking about it and, like everything now... once the potential for such a thing is overlooked or UNDER-reported the first time around like the last tsunami... the media makes sure they are right on top of things... getting us all worked up, often for nothing. I should learn by now to ignore it all but it'll be the time I do that it's for real and I'll be sorry!

So, my apologies... I'm glad it didn't happen and everyone is OK!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Daphne

PS... Melissa, Simon was very concerned about you!  :hug:

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

that's ok Daphne....would have been interesting if it had hit - 6am in the morning I am up, but not at my most alert.  Just picture me scrambling up the ladder at the back of my house into the bush - which is a near vertical hill covered in dense scrubby native bush.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I'm glad everyone is ok.   :hug:

Board footer