Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

I know we all go on about having lots and lots of bear making stuff.

But ive now got bags full of things, INSIDE OTHER BAGS OF THINGS bear_grin

IM SURE I CANT BE THE ONLY ONE .... bear_whistle

Could all the seasoned makers out there help ..

WITH SOME GOOD CHEAP IDEAS FOR STORAGE...

PICTURES MAY HELP... AND MAKE THINGS INTERESTING bear_original

IM SLOWLY BEING BURIED ALIVE IN MY LITTLE CORNER...:crackup:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

:crackup:

Being organized will be most helpful....but don't do what I do.  Leave tools in plastic bins but forget where you left them and have to go on a search mission. I now have plastic bins justt for tools....

I use clear cheap plastic bins with the pop on lids.  The shoe box size on up.  I have a few of the smaller ones but they really do seem too small. I like the ones you can see through-it helps.

Mohair I keep on skirt hangers in the sewing room closet.  And yes so many crafts have a cross over factor- so I try to keep things separate but equal.  I no longer assume that polymer clay will only be used for noses or something like that, because now i am using it for stability in dolls.  So polymer clay is just that....or joints or cotter pins or nuts and bolts.  Those i do keep together in the same container though.

Lace is no longer a Teddy supply it is lace

I no longer assume i will not take up something new-but i do have to analyze the available space now.

The initial organizing can be overwhealming....but keep at it, it will all sort itself out

eventually.

GollyGoodLuck to you!

hugs

dilu

Good Luck

di

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Hi Di...

YES I do all that,  :crackup:

EVERYTHING STARTED OFF TIDY AND NOW ARRRGHHH... Tangled messes.

I was thinking of getting some lidded plastic boxes but big ones...

I hadnt thought about small ones.... ITS A GOOD IDEA  EVERTHING HAVING A BOX... HMMMM

AND MOHAIR ON HANGERS IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA ...INSTEAD OF DIGGING IN A BOX...

Thanks Di that has really helped...

lanie x
.................................................................................................

Melanie i just caught you r message as id posted.

DONT WE GET IN A MESS...  bear_grin
I TIDY UP AT NIGHT BUT SAME TIME NEXT DAY ....IM BURIED AGAIN...
MY HUBBY JUST SCOWLS AT ME....HE SAYS IM LIKE A HAMSTER.... :crackup:

Think im going for the LOTS OF little boxes labelled Melanie... With your IDEA for one big one for the current project...with a lid bear_original

Im so sick of big plastic bags...I CANT FIND ANYTHING ..

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Organised, hmmm
Well skip this place.  I have drawers and cupboards and the floor and behind things and n things.
BUT I have to admit I have been slowly but surely getting there.  So that I may not be organised as such but I have a general idea of where!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I make myself totally clean up after each bear I make. Start fresh. After a while I get tired of the fact that I make such a big mess and learned to keep the tools and things I use most in little plastic drawers on top  of my work table or in baskets or jars. The other stuff is on shelves in my closets, stuffing in a hamper under one of my tables, more baskets with 'stuff' keep the hamper company..... I don't know what I'd do without my baskets and plastic totes!

There are pictures many artists posted of their work space back a while ago... I don't have time to find it but can someone FIND THAT POST OF WORKSPACE PHOTOS for Lanie?? Here are a couple but I think there are more!

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=2318&p=1
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=501

Eileen also started a post aout using verticle wall space in the tips and techniques section and Kim posted pictures of her wonderful space.   http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=6736

You'll get some ideas there, Lanie!!!

And good luck... we all feel for you and are in the same boat! It's a known fact that creative people are slobs so it's ok!!! :)

:hug:
Daphne

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I have several clear plastic handled boxes for current work: needlefelting project, teddy-bear project, crochet project, etc. Then there are large wheeled bins for my mohair, ultra suede, mini fabrics. A couple of 6 drawer clear plastic shelving units for odds and ends. These are in my sewing room along with large canvas bins for my needlefelting rovings.  My easy chair, where I hand-sew, has pockets on the side where I keep my common bear tools. The desk besides that has the rest of the items I use constantly and behind the chair is my large canvas bin of stuffing. I keep my various eyes and cotter pins, etc in little stacking containers in the book shelve beside me.  :crackup: I still have to look for some things but generally know where things are.
Marion

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I have Aluminium draws that slide out. You buy the stands and then fit in the draws. Its called ELFA not sure if it is a worldwide system. So each draw can be kitted out with your things. They come in various sizes and you can fit wheels to the stand if you want. Inside the draws you can once again fit little boxes for various other items. My space is limited, so I have to keep it neat and tidy, BUT when working on a project, everything is everywhere, but I do tidy up behind me, otherwise chaos would reign. All my filler/stuffing is stored in a wicker laundry bin.
I am obsessed with neatness, and often get distracted and spend the morning putting everything in its place instead of working on the projects I should be working on, which drives me MAD.
During my shop days, space was also limited, or maybe that was because I  bought too much stock and it was essential to keep eveything in order, although a bit of a upheaval did pull customers in.
Lynette

Dilu Posts: 8,574

smaller011.jpgsmaller5.jpgsmaller.jpg

Hi-here is what my work space looked like before I started artist dolls but after bears and gollies.....and yes-I am aiming for an artist golly one day soon.  :crackup:

Hey DEB hows the renovaTION going on your sewing attic?  have we seen the after pics?

It goes on from there....and yet....and stilll there are plastic totes holding precious stufff I am saving for Erin  :crackup:  and those seem to be hiding all over the house behind and under and.....And the Garage is a huge help- I have silks in totes over there as well as big boxes of stuffing- 25 lbs...I think i only have 2 over there plus 1 spare here plus the one I am working on...drat!  That's gonna hurt to get more of.....

So buck up, dear heart, hope is not lost, we'll set you straight in no time, but you might have to bite the bullet and invest in plastic totes and boxes.

When you find them on sale buy all you can afford.  Those things are always useful, and if you have to use 1 out of 20 for the household bills or something like that, well, you can simply feel virtuous.  Thats the way I play the game....works for me  bear_wacko And I think it has long ago been established that my hubster is truly a saint!  bear_grin

hugs and kisses

K Pawz Guest

Have you joined up for our bear accessory swap???? It is a good place to get rid of some of the accessories that you will never use.....

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=6828

Hugs,
Krista

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

AWWWW THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE
IVE LOOKED AT ALL THE POSTS AND PICS  bear_original  bear_thumb

IVE BEEN OUT THIS MORNING AND BOUGHT SOME LITTLE AND BIG SEE THROUGH BOXES THEY ARE GREAT
I CAN VIRTUALLY SEE EVERYTHING IN THEM...

DI, IM VERY ENVIOUS I WISH I HAD A BIG ROOM TO SIT IN...  bear_whistle HOW WONDERFUL... IT A WICKED WORKSTATION.

I HAVE TO BE CONTENT WITH MY LITTLE OLE CORNER AND A COMFY CHAIR TO SIT IN ...  bear_grin

UNLESS I GET EVICTED BY HUBBY .... :crackup:

ERIN& KRISTA,  IVE NOT GOT ENOUGH YET TO GIVE OR SWAP...

ITS ALL MINE ...MY PRECIOUS STUFF...   H.jpg:crackup:

LANIE X

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Lanie

I'm just hoping my girls move out soon so that  I can take over one of their bedrooms and kit it out as a proper studio.   bear_original At the moment I work mostly in the conservatory where I have my machine set up and all my storage. It's lovely as I have it to myself and there is plenty of room but now that we are starting to get better weather I think I might just suffocate as the heat builds up bear_tongue 

Oh, did I mention that my girls are 5 and 10 bear_sad

Have fun sorting everything into your new storage boxes.

:hug:

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Aww KATE  :crackup:

I CAN JUST IMAGINE...
CHILDREN MINE ARE 6 -9...

I HAVE FINISHED SORTING NOW.... MUCH BETTER bear_original ... STILL FEEL LIKE A HAMSTER... :crackup:

I love Meri Bears UK by the way.... bear_wub
lanie x

Morganlefay Melbourne

I have asked my husband to build me another house.  Just for my craft.  He says, there isnt enough building materials in the world to make a house big enough..... 

I dont know what he means.  bear_ermm

Sammi
bear_whistle

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm
Laniebears wrote:

ERIN& KRISTA,  IVE NOT GOT ENOUGH YET TO GIVE OR SWAP...

ITS ALL MINE ...MY PRECIOUS STUFF...   http://www.teddy-talk.com/uploaded/H.jpg:crackup:

LANIE X

Lanie, I hear you. I'm in a similar situation, but do you think I stop buying?  bear_whistle
I got lots of boxes, hubby gets me tool boxes, tackle boxes for all the small stuff, it says swoosh and they are full with hardly a dent in my piles  :crackup: I got paper bags, plastic bags, hampers, large boxes for quilt fabric, under the bed, in all cupboards and drawers, piles on the floor, piles of boxes and stuff. There is going to be a world shortage soon and prices are always going up. Vintage mini fabrics sure must sell out soon  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:

But don't suggest to me to swap it. Although I would love to have some of what you others are offering in the swaps, but mine is mine  :twisted: .  bear_rolleyes  :crackup:

Good luck!

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Sammi,
He sounds like my hubby  :crackup:  but ive only got little piles of stuff  I bear_cry  bear_grin

Sabine,
I DONT BLAME YOU... we are all the same.... COLLECT COLLECT COLLECT....

No DONT never clearout...  ITS ALL SO PRECIOUS.... OUR PRECIOUS STUFF HH.jpg

beary_clairey Luton

Can you imagine if you were really rich and you could have your own purpose built craft workshop with loads of storage and tables for all your bits and pieces.

Shelves full of Teddy bears!!!

I'm in heavanly dreamland!!!

LOL

Claire

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Oooooo Clare it would be fabulous...

Sadly i have to be content with my chair in the corner...  bear_original

WHICH HUBBY HAS STATED  HE THINKS I GLUE MYSELF TOO. :crackup:

Board footer