Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Hi gals!  Wondering here if anyone else on TT has TMJ (or lockjaw bear_tongue ) and has any tips on dealing with this.  I had gone to physical therapy for it a year ago and was doing well with stretching and strengthening exercises, but had to finally do to the dentist a couple of weeks ago...........now I'm back to square one with the pain and inability to open my mouth very far.  The pain is awful.........feels like a vise tightened around my head constantly.  I've been taking left-over Ibuprofen 800 mg THREE times daily just to keep this below migraine level.  And the headache/jawache doesn't ever go completely away!  I guess I'll probably have to go back to the doctor, but I don't want to.  They can only give me more pain meds and send me to physical therapy......... AGAIN!  The "best" part is that I have to go back to the evil dentist in a few more weeks.............my jaw can't wait! bear_cry  bear_cry

I'm being a baby here, but woke up with the headache again this morning.  I'm feeling like I can't deal with this!! bear_cry  It's hard to function. bear_sad   Anyone have any ideas?  I would be most appreciative of anything I could try.

:hug:
Tracy

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

You're certainly NOT being a baby with TMJ!!! bear_cry   :hug: My dad and brother suffer from this and its horrible.  Your best bet is massage, stretches, and acupuncture for pain relief.  You're right, the medical community will hand you pain meds for it, but until you can get those muscles to relax, the pain meds are only temporary. 

:hug: Sending massive  :hug:

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

:hug:  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   bear_cry   bear_cry Sorry,this is all I can offer  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:  bear_cry

Iowa
Website

Thanks Debbie!  I've not heard of acupuncture for this.......do your dad and brother have it done?  I'm not even sure if we have an acupuncturist around here.........will have to start looking.  The physical therapy I had before helped.......they concentrated on getting the muscles to settle down and sent me off with stretching/strengthening exercises to keep it that way.  Worked great until that evil dentist took me down again! bear_grin   I'm trying to do the stretching ones, am massaging my own face and jaw, and taking lots of ibuprofen (which is going to kill off my stomach probably).  I guess I almost feel that the PT was a temporary fix too...........that cost tons of $$$ to boot!
My insurance company is going to hate me if I go through that again!

Tracy

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Tracy - in my experience - its dentists leaning on the lower jaw whilst working - that kills me too.  I use acupuncture, and have a physiotherapist 'move' my neck.  The pain is usually referred pain from the upper vertebrae in the neck, with the supporting neck muscles in spasm.  This may help you.

Sandra  :redface:

Iowa
Website

Shari--Your hugs help more than you know!!  Thanks! :hug:  :hug:

Sandra--That makes sense to me too.  And my neck is definitely involved.....it feels very tight.....I've been begging neck rubs from my family to the extent I might get choked instead of massaged one of these times! bear_laugh  bear_tongue  bear_grin  I'm going to call my chiropractor today as well as look for an acupuncturist.  Thank you!! :hug:  :hug:

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Tracy,
It was the chiropractor that helped me.  I go see him after every dental visit.  At one point I was so bad that I had seen the chiropractor three times with no help then went for a massage and that did the trick.  My dentist says it is stress not his dentistry.  My husband begs me to find a new dentist.
Donna

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Oh Tracy you poor thing!!!!!  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

It sounds awful and i don't think you are whinging or anything - i would be hell to live with if i had to contend with TMJ syndrome!

I can't offer any advice i'm afraid sweetie but i am sending you BIG hugs and get well wishes.
:hug:  :pray:  bear_flower  bear_wub

Can you still shout at the boys? Can you still eat chocolate? Can you still drink alcohol?
These are questions i need to know the answers to Tracy.
bear_tongue

Penny  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Iowa
Website

Can you still shout at the boys? Can you still eat chocolate? Can you still drink alcohol?
These are questions i need to know the answers to Tracy.

Yes Penny...........to ALL of the above!! :crackup:  :crackup: Not sure that alcohol would be good with the pain meds though......although it is just Ibuprofen in huge doses!  Who cares about the lining of my stomach anyway......I'd feel better! :crackup:  :crackup: You know, I have been a bit on the grouchy side lately bear_whistle  bear_tongue ...............Hope nobody decides to cure me with amputation.......that would be 'off with my head'! bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Thanks Donna :hug:  :hug: ...........and I agree with your husband about finding a new dentist.  The man is totally discounting the misery you experience after seeing him........as it couldn't possibly be any of his doing!! bear_angry 

I have just taken a step in the right direction by calling my chiropractor.  I never thought to ask before (and I see him once a month anyway :doh: ) but he can and does treat for TMJ.  I've got an appointment for monday morning..........why oh why does it have to be friday today with a whole weekend to wait!  Aack..........and OUCH!! bear_sad  bear_cry

Tracy

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Glad to be of some help

Sandra  :redface:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad  Yow, Tracy, I don't know anything at all about Lockjaw, but it sounds very very painful!

I hope you get some real relief soon . . . . hugs and prayers in the meantime :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Eileen

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi,
Sorry you feel soooo bad bear_cry I had a client from the veterinary office I worked at who had TMJ...and I got to see how bad it was for the nine years that we knew each other!  I wanted to add that we had a veterinarian who did acupuncture on dogs...and the results were fascinating!!!! I knew it worked when I saw a dog with a slipped disk and pinched nerves get up and walk after acupuncture! We had been treating the dog with medicines for months. He had not walked in weeks! That made a true believer out of me!!! :hug:  :hug:  bear_tongue Dogs don't lie or make up stuff!
JeannieB

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Yes Tracy and it is annoying and hurts and makes everything else around it hurt  bear_cry  bear_sad   I find I make it worse by clenching as I sew or compute.  One thing that has helped me before is Bowen therapy.  Little movements over the tendons and they loosen it up or something.  At home mum will massage around my jaw neck etc with a gel called feldene.  It numbs it.  Pressure points help too...
Good luck and hope you get some relief!!
xo Sarah

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Ouch, Tracy.... I really feel for you  :hug:. Fortunately I don't suffer from it but did experience it once, and strangely enough that was also after a trip to the dentist's. I was having work on the teeth at the back and had to keep my mouth wide for the longest time - consequently could barely open my mouth for the next week or two. Lots of soup and moaning for that period of time....  :crackup:

I'm sure the chiropractor will help, and having a quiet word with your dentist to explain what happens might help too. Sounds like you need to be able to close your mouth and move your jaw around as much as possible during treatment. And maybe ask if it's ok not to open your jaw to it's widest point?

Finger's crossed you get some relief quickly!  bear_flower

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

:hug: Hope you feel better soon... :hug:  :hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Tracy, how terrible for you.  I have never heard of it, but it sounds dreadful.  I am wishing you all the best - I hope you can find something that works for you.

Danni

Iowa
Website

Thanks so very much to all of you :hug:  :hug: ...................your well-wishes and advice about this problem of mine are so very much appreciated!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Had to say that bear_grin  bear_wub !

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Tracy

Board footer