Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Nope...she's not with me *yet*... belive me, if she were, you'd be inundated with pics  :crackup:

So instead, on Thursday, I know she's due to transfer from Ontario to Lexington, Kentucky.  I phoned up to find out about the arrangements for her final transfer which is to me  bear_wub   And Jeff, from Doyles says yeah, she's en route as we speak, and what arrangements have you made to pick her up?   bear_cry 'Erm, excuse me?????  I just paid your services for a door to door, and *your* end route is a delivery to Lexington, Kentucky (read 8 hours strong driving one way) just before the Kentucky Derby???? His response, "What's the Kentucky Derby???"  Okay, being from Canada, I'll cut the guy some slack, but its only the BIGGEST day of the year for Lexington.  A huge thoroughbred race, and the first race to be won in the Triple Crown. "So my driver won't get a hotel room?" he asked.  Pbbbtttt....  bear_laugh  Honey, unless you've reserved one, I think your driver will be sleeping in the trailer!  bear_laugh

Anyhoo, long n short... I scrambled onto the phone and managed to wrangle a transporter who'll be able to pick her up 'sometime mid week' ...fingers crossed, if we're lucky, and if the stars are in the right alignment.  Bless their hearts, the transporters were some of the best at holding hands and soothing hearts.  Blossom's being well taken care of at Dunroven Stud.....very posh from what I'm told.  And she'll truly be just fine til they can get her here. 

Thursday night hubby and I did try to purchase transport and just go get her ourselves, only to find the trailer had all ready been purchased, and the other one for hire left both of us uncomfortable.  Not only was it huge (sixteen feet long), but for a brand new trailer I thought it was rather shoddily built...just bare metal slung onto wooden boards with nary a place to perch hay, exposed wires, the lot...

I keep telling myself that it won't be that much longer and I'll have her with me.  Poor lass has been in transit for over a month now!  She'll be really wondering if she's reached her end destination, but I wonder...when people transport important racehorses for competitions, do they really take so long in transit???   

....can't wait to get my hands on her!!!!!!   bear_wub

Stellajella Wien

Oh Debbie,
I thought you were so busy hugging and petting and kissing your new baby that you could not update us on her arrival! bear_original
I bet she enjoyed her world tour ...
Kentucky Derby? Even I know that * giggle*..being from the other side.
Kentucky does really sound very appealing to me. When landing in Cincinnati ( the airport being in Kentucky) I could see so many beautiful houses with a swimming pool and fenced in with loads of horses. Must be heaven there for a horsoholic  bear_grin
I think, the expensive nervous race horses are transportet by plane to have them handy all the time. I guess, this is not so nice for a horse, but who knows, maybe that gives them the Pegasus-feeling.

Keep us informed!
All teh best
Gaby bear_flower

bear_grin  :hug:  Yes, I'm sure all the posh, posh horses are like celebraties.. sent from one airport to the next with nary these layovers... Kentucky is as close to heaven as horsies can get....  bear_wub   Simply cannot wait to get my hands on my little girl, though... I know she's *only* a pony, but as a dales pony, she's more rare and more valuable than the thoroughbreds even!   :hug:

Stellajella Wien

ONLY a pony ! Duh! bear_grin There is no such thing like ONLY a pony bear_tongue
These DalesĀ“ponies are cute!

Gaby bear_flower

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I hope she gets to her new home soon!   :hug:

bear_grin You and me both Chrissie!!! 

:crackup: Gaby, that's sooooo true!  Never such a thing as ONLY a pony!  bear_wub

:pray: ...is it midweek yet???  The suspense is killing me....

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Debbie, How big is Blossom? I'm not familiar with Dales ponies. Is she going to be a riding pony or a pet?
Here in Aus we have miniature ponies....soooo cute! The only grow to about 45 inches in height, about the size of a large dog.
A friends sent me this link the other day about a mini horse that arrived early. She was only as big as their cat!

http://www.treherneminis.com/Doves%20page.htm

The pony bit is really misleading in a dales pony  :crackup:   Although they are Britain's largest pony breed, they are larger than many horses I've met!  When matured (at roughly 9 to 10 years of age...so very slow growing), you can literally put a barrell between the front legs. 

Richard_Telford_Bill_Ireland_s_Village_Defender___2.jpg

This is a pic of a dales stallion, Village Defender.  Sadly he passed away unexpectedly (the anesthesia from a surgery) but the fellow riding him is over six feet tall!!!  So you can see what I mean that the ponies are huge. 

We have some minis that live just up the highway from us and they are soooooo adorable its beyond belief!!!!  bear_wub  I'm sure they're fed up with being called cute ~ but they are!!!!  bear_happy

As for my girlie Blossom, I had a nasty shock this morning, as I phoned the shippers only to be told "Oh we weren't transporting to your state afterall this week, perhaps next?"   bear_angry I'm about 5 days beyond being happy just now!!!!!  So today was spent spinning my wheels, trying to get ahold of another shipper, and looking at options to simply rent or buy a horse trailer and just go after her myself.  Honestly!  We've got a workload with our mushrooms (self employed, mushroom farmer) that's over the top just now, and to step away is almost impossible.  Hubby is beside himself with the stress over the whole thing, and I'm just fed up.  I want my girlie here!!!  If that means taking a couple of days out to go fetch her, so be! 

I just hope it won't be too much longer and we'll have some answers and she'll be with us.  :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I was wondering if Blossom had arrived at your home.
You must be really counting down the days now and getting very excited.
Please keep us informed.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer