Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I have a repeat customer from out of the country who has expressed a desire to purchase of my bears again.  She tell me  she just loves them.  I gave her all the information on how, how to pay, shipping, etc.  She replies...thank you and that she wants to buy the bear but she has lost her bank card and is waiting for a new one and will I hold the bear for two weeks until she finally gets it.   She does that if I'm not willing to she understands and will just wait for another bear to come available.  Now, I know from personal stupidity that can happen. 

My question is how to respond to her.  I really don't mind holding the bear but what if someone else wants to buy it right now and pay right now.  I prefer to not wait if I don't have to but I don't want to turn her off either by not being accomodating.  I also hate to mark it sold and then have her not buy it after all and lose someone else who might have bought it.  I'm rambling...

Any advice?

Shantell

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Shantell, I am wondering that as well.  I'm not to the point where I am selling mine yet though.  As one of your custumers we went through a similar situation Do you remember? :hug:

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Hmm a hard one... does it have to be this particular bear she is after or just one of your bears?
How often has she purchased from you?
Can you get her to use something like paypal or similar even to just get a deposit?

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Shantell, I think getting a deposit is a good idea.  At least she may feel more comitted to pay as soon as possible.   I would also get a firm date from her that she is planning to pay and state that you can only hold it until that time. 

I have marked  bears as "On hold until ....." or "adoption Pending".  That way it is still potentially available if someone sees it on your site .   I guess it all depends on how desperately she wants that bear and if she was reliable with the last sale.   And, howe long you can wait for the $.

Good luck with your decision.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

A difficult question to answer Shantell.
Going by the fact that you have posed this question to the forum means that you must have doubts about the truthfullness of this person.
I suppose it really gets down to how desperate are you for a quick sale.
You could tell her that another collector wish's to purchase this bear now. At least this way you let her down without there being any misunderstanding. Other than of course you have lied.
She is obviously stalling for time. She will buy the bear. How long do you wish to wait for your sale.?
Sorry! I didnt answer your question did I?
Now if this was happening to me. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and wait. But that is me. I'm not in a hurry anymore.  :doh:  :redface:
Wendy :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Shantell,
I've been asked to hold bears for a couple of weeks....until payday.  I mark the bear Adoption Pending.  I do this when one of my collectors sends a check as well.   I've only had to repost a bear a couple of times as "Available" again.  They're usually snapped right up by another collector. 

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shantell, this is a tough question.  I'm curious as to why it is taking two weeks to get another bank card.  If I lose mine, I can get it replaced at the bank immediately.  Maybe she is talking about  a credit card.  I'd say yes, but give her a firm date for the sale to be completed and mark it as Aleta says "adoption pending".   You don't want to put her off, especially if she has already purchased from you so I would definitely give her the benefit of the doubt.  It's been my experience that customers really do appreciate it when you extend a courtesy like this.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

hugs,

Brenda

Willamette Valley Oregon

I can't really get a deposit because she's in France and I'm in the US.  She's paying me via Paypal...the only option I gave her. I have had a replacement card take two weeks so that doesn't surprise me.  I believe her.

I think I'll tell her that I'm happy to hold the bear until the date she gave me and leave it as adoption pending as recommended.  I was just curious what others thought.  I had already kind of decided how I was going to respond. 

I have very good communication with this customer and I tend to be very flexible and accomodating....maybe to a fault.  I just seem to try and find the good in everyone.

Thanks!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I agree with the majority Shantell. I do that all the time. I figure if a customer likes my bears well enough to buy a second one, there WILL be a 3rd and 4th etc. So I am very accomidateing to them.I have some customers that I send them the bear even before thier payment has been made. They are THAT loyal.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Yeah Shantell, I'm with everyone else.  I would hold it for her.  My past customers have all been honest.  You're only waiting two weeks.  Still have the bear up available, but say that sale is pending.  That gives another interested party the option to contact you and say if the sale falls through, they'd like the bear.

I think 2 weeks isn't very long to wait, and then you get a sale at the end if all works out.  I think you could offend her by saying no also -which you don't want to happen if she loves your bears.  Who knows how many bears she may end up owning of yours?

Anyhoo - good luck and let us know how it all turns out in the end!
Danni

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hold it for her!
You don't want to lose a good customer, mark the bear as sale pending!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I try to accommodate customers too. I would say you'll hold the bear for exactly 14 days....starting on whatever day you decide...then mark the bear....'Reserved pending confirmation'  on your website ....that way ...if someone else is interested,.... they'll know that they may have to wait to see if it may still be available...but you are not precluding other buyers.

New customers are great.....but repeat business is worth more....Why? Because they liked what you did the first time and came back for more...that means they are a good advocate of your work and very probably will bring new customers to your door. It's been my maxim for 32 years in my hairdressing business so, yes..I look after my regulars!!!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Just wanted to thank you for all your great advice and let you know that my customer came through today and thanked me several times for holding TRUFFLE for her.

bear_original bear_original

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Glad you've got such a happy customer, Shantell. I was going to say the same as everyone else (hold the bear for a specified time)...hopefully it will lead to repeat purchases, and at the very least will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside!  bear_tongue  bear_grin

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shantell,
     I'm really happy that the sale worked out for you!  I think the huge majority of people are very honest, and it's definitely a feather in your cap in her eyes for trusting her.  I'm sure she will be back for more!

Hugs,

Brenda

Board footer