Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I put this in General discussions because this really is not bear related, but computer related.
I downloaded MSN's (Microsoft, actually) Spysweeper.
It no only got rid of threats, put up shields...it disabled my Norton Internet Security system and removed files. that didn't need removing.  Because it disabled my security, I got a hijacker.  HP has run a full recovery on the computer (still under warranty) and the only way to remove the hacker is to completely remove all info on my hard drive.  Everything will have to be re-instlled including my ISP.  I have been burning back-up cd's like crazy as this is all scheduled to be done Thursday nite.
I just wanted to let you all know to be VERY careful when downloading spyware of any kind.  I understand this is very common with the spyware software and was told by HP that Spysubtract does not remove anything but spyware.  I do not know this personally...but I can (from experience now) warn you about Spysweeper.
Hope this helps just one keep from going thru this nightmare. :(
Nanc...........

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

What a nightmare, Nance :(

So sorry you had to go through that. I'm really surprised that Microsoft supports such a nasty thing (or am I?)

There are lots of 'free spyware!' popups on the web, but my hub insisted that I get McAfee's whole bundle, including anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti-spam and a really strict privacy protection system. He's afraid I'm going to give away the family identity and plunge us all into financial ruin. So far so good, it's certainly working, but I do find that it's in a constant state of war with Windows, even after I got advice on setting default systems.

I had a less serious experience than yours with a cute little graphics program some time ago. It more or less ate everything else, and got its little claws deep into the operating system. Apparently it's a well known Nasty, and I managed to Google lots of good advice on disabling it. Wish I could remember the name of the thing, but I seem to have repressed it.

Eileen

There are so many things out there that can mess up your computer.  I used to have McAfee but switched over to Norton ... only because of my son-in-law.  No particular reason.
I am running everything Norton has, on my computer and was virtually free of the bad stuff, but Spysweeper DISABLED it and set me out there unprotected.  I am fuming!!!
I am getting afraid to download anything anymore.
I understand that Microsofts Service Pack 2 has caused a lot of problems.  I didn't download it because of all the horrors that have happened to friends of mine who did.  I discussed that with HP yesterday and she said it is not compatible with alot of the OEM's and she sent me the info on what I have to do BEFORE I download it on this new computer...or it will mess me up too.  I wonder why they don't put warnings on these things?
This spyware was free to me thru my MSN membership and I trusted it, I mean why wouldn't I...I was certain that it would not be offered if it wasn't ok....boy was I wrong.
Nanc........

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Poor Nanc

How awful and incredably frustrating.  Thank goodness they can reconfigure and clean you up.....well not you but your computer.

I wonder about the files you are backing up- will they be safe.  We have experienced that some of these annoying things, like aol for instance, attached to files that had nothing to do with the internet and corrupted those files.  Ouch.

I am really glad you are still under warranty-

Hope it only takes the one night cleaning.  would hate to loose you for any extended time.

Take a deep breath, and remember you really saved a lot of us from the same program.  My hun had been looking into a spyware program-now he is thinking more seriously about problems.

Good luck

Dilu

Oh good Dilu...I am so glad it helped someone.
I am thinking, that I will purchase Norton's spyware.  I have been very happy with everything they have altho it USED to have some issues with Windows.  That seems to be all resolved now. 
In 1999, I had a couple of problems but then Windows only 'liked' McAffee at that time.

You know Dilu, I hadn't thought about saving corrupted files.  Hummm....I think I am going to have to ask my HP gal about that.  Wouldn't that just be the frosting...to put it all back on. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention...see, two minds are better than one. :D

In my case I think it will take 3 minds...I was on the phone with HP for over 2 hours yesterday and I got 'fuzzy'.  Too much concentration on something I didn't want to concentrate on in the first place.
If I could get my hands on the stinker that hijacked me...well, it wouldn't be pretty!!!

I'd slap a knot on his head for sure!!!

Thanks Dilu, you may have saved me from a disaster.
nanc........

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Nance,

My husband has Norton and loves it. It seems Windows has changed its mind about McAfee, but I think McAfee is winning.

Eileen

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Unfortunately, Microsoft and its products can be lousy quality at times.  I heard they had come out with anti-spyware software, and I have been avoiding it like the plague.  I also have issues with Norton products, but then I am picky bear_original  However, I know a lot of people who are happy with either Norton or McAfee packages, so they're certainly solid choices.  I am currently running the McAfee package with their firewall, and using two of the best free anti-spyware products out there.  My favorite is Ad-Aware, which can be found here (I use this regularly):

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Occasionally I will run Spybot just to make sure Ad-Aware hasn't missed anything (hasn't happened yet, but I do understand that sometimes one program will find something the other has missed). Spybot can be found here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

As with all anti-spyware programs, however, keep in mind that they may sometimes remove files that you actually use.  If you are the type of person who downloads a lot of 'free' stuff on the internet, tool bars, media players and such, you may find that anti-spyware programs will delete components of these programs so that they won't run properly again.  (Because... well... a lot of free programs aren't free... they do contain spyware so that they can spy on you and generate revenue for the person who 'gave it away' in the first place.)  Ah, well.

Hope you get everything back in working order soon, Nanc!

Cheers,
Kelly

Board footer