Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

mouselings-21.JPGmouselings-12.JPGmouselings-4.JPGmouselings-2.JPGmouselings-1.JPGMeet my two new little sidekicks.  The darker one's name is William and the lighter I have not named yet.  They are 'hoppers', or young mice; my new little inspirations!  Mouse makers (and lovers) start your engines! :)

Kimberly W.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

OMG Kim, they are soooo cute and it's hilarious!  You'll have all the models you need, from now on LOL!

Hugs,

Brenda

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

They are simply adorable!!!!!  Are you absolutely sure that they are both boys!!!!???? bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb   bear_laugh

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Kim, that's a really good question.  I always heard that mice can reproduce every 21 days, and if you consider offspring, you could have kazillions sooner than you think!

Hugs,

Brenda

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

How cute!!!
Those are sweet models!

Ft. Bragg, NC

Kim, I have no idea! lol I guess I'll find out in a few months when they're 'old enough to get married'.....

Brenda, bear_original that's part of the reaon I got them... the other part was: I just fell in love with them! And, they WERE going to be snake food...  bear_cry

Kimberly W.

Ft. Bragg, NC
thumperantiques wrote:

Kim, that's a really good question.  I always heard that mice can reproduce every 21 days, and if you consider offspring, you could have kazillions sooner than you think!

Ruh Roh!  bear_shocked

I'd better start asking right now - does anyone want baby mice? LOL

Kimberly W.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Cute....my son had a ball python (meaner than hell he was) and I absolutely hated it when Kyle brought home mice to feed to the snake...I wanted rescue them.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Just a warning.  It will not take a few months to find out if you have a pair.  They mature early.  They also have been known to have very large litters (we had one that gave birth to 16).  If you have boys, you should be able to see little "boy parts".  Females are much better pets in my opinion.  They do not have such an odor as males tend to have.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

REAL LIVE MICE!!! And your holding them in your hand!!!!

Sorry, I just can't share everyone's enthusiasm. Living in the country where mice get into everything they can has given me a different perspective on them - not that I had any great liking for them to begin with, lol! When we first moved here they got into my car and built a big nest in the trunk using the insulation from the hood of my husband's car. They also got right down into the air conditioner and built nests in there and it cost us hundreds to have that all fixed. Turned on the barbecue one day and within minutes, 2 little half singed looking mice came crawling down the base from a nest they obviously had right under the burners. Started the clothes dryer one day and heard the most awful rattling - kept checking inside and found nothing - turned out that mice were storing seeds, etc. in the exhaust hose and the fan from the dryer blew them all out into a little pile outside the house. Fortunately they haven't managed to get into the house yet and we have put wire mesh everywhere we can think of to keep the little rascals at bay!
Well, okay, I do have to admit they look kind of cute - but I still don't like mice! At least not real ones - the stuffed toy type are adorable!
Bear hugs, Edie

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub Ohhh!  They're so cute!!  I have pet rats myself, so understand the enjoyment to be had from pet rodents.

:hug:
Tracy

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

And, they WERE going to be snake food...

DSCN2009.jpg

My new baby would just love to meet them  :crackup:  yummy yummy lol

Hugs
Vicki

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'll take the mice over the snake any day!!!   Frightening!!!

Ft. Bragg, NC

Millie,

OK, so how soon after they are 'hoppers'?  I have no idea exactly how old these ones are, but I'll check under their tail to see if I notice anything  bear_whistle .  I used to have a fat boy mouse named Chewy because he always chewed his toe nails after he scratched.  I've also had a myriad of mice as a child, both boys and girls (not at the same time).  But as far as I noticed, these little ones have not developed their doo-dads yet.  I'm sure the time is not far off, though!  If they do end up having babies, I'll just let mom raise them and separate dad out into another cage nearby.  Then I'll let all the little ones go nearby our neighbor's house that keeps parking in front of our mailbox!  lol, j/k!!!!!

Oh yeah, and also had a rat when I was younger named Cheech.  He would grab any of my clothes within paw's reach of his cage and pull a piece into his cage, chew it off, and make a nest out of it.  Darn thing!!!! lol

Kimberly W.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

this poem says it all for me!

I think mice are rather nice;
Their tails are long, their faces small;
They haven't any chins at all.
Their ears are pink, their teeth are white,
They run about the house at night;
They nibble things they shouldn't touch,
and, no one seems to like them much,
but, I think mice are rather nice.
Rose Fyleman

Actually, I muchh prefer pet ones than the ones living in my walls.  We used to have pet ones when I was little - my sister used to sell the babies back to the pet shop - and there are no snakes in New Zealand so no danger of them being sold for pet food.

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

I know ratties are old enough to breed @ 5 weeks.
if the mice are old enough to be away from Mama, they prolly
are not far off.

Mice are adorable  bear_wub
But I love that my woodgies are big enough to hug:

140681512_4c5f12caab.jpg?v=0
Hodgepodge with Bumbershoot in the background

35726319_13629dda97.jpg?v=0
Sausage (RIP) getting syringe-fed some Boost

15200866_61b47cf58c.jpg?v=0
hairless Alfie (RIP) modeling a needle-felted fez

that is a beautiful cornsnake by the way! my Ted is the same color but
yours has more of the pretty yellow  bear_wub

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

I agree with Edie on this one...ESPECIALLY since my two cats have been spending nights outside [it's summer, they're of age and neutered/spayed, what can a mother do??] and while I was fixing sandwiches for me and the baby, ONE RAN RIGHT ACROSS THE BACKSPLASH OF THE KITCHEN COUNTERTOP!!! 

And, to add insult to injury, he was one fat little bugger!!

Have frantically disinfected my kitchen within an inch of its life, put mousetraps everywhere and kept the cats in nights, but no luck on catching the mouse---unless the cats got it.  One can always hope!

Also, once we had my dollhouse in storage [moving between houses, smaller space] I was about 14, and the MICE got into my DOLLHOUSE!!!  And lived in it for QUITE some time.  There was nests all over inside of it, urine and droppings EVERYWHERE....UGH ICK UGH!!  Not nice mice!!

Amelia  *who will keep her tarantula, thank you very much, no MICE!!*

Here's my baby:

Cricket.jpg<---taken one morning whilst Cricket was crawling about

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts
fribblesltd wrote:

Also, once we had my dollhouse in storage [moving between houses, smaller space] I was about 14, and the MICE got into my DOLLHOUSE!!!  And lived in it for QUITE some time.

There's such a wonderful children's book in this idea   bear_original

fribblesltd wrote:

There was nests all over inside of it, urine and droppings EVERYWHERE....UGH ICK UGH!!

well except for this part!  bear_tongue

Lovely spider ya got there.....I don't mind those at all, but
these harmless guys

IS0281_1m.jpg

give me the screamies  bear_ermm

(I'm tellin ya, we really need the EEEEK!!! smiley!)

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Kim--

Beatrix Potter's "Two Bad Mice"?  bear_laugh  I love the bit where Huncamunca beats the plaster ham to pieces with a poker! :crackup:

I love mice--we've got them wintering over in our composter, and I have to keep an eye on the cats right now. I've rescued the MomMouse twice and a few years back took in a baby that she'd rejected. Poor little mite only lasted 3 days.

Eileen

nettie scotland
Website

Oh I want mice again.I used to have dozens all rescued for being snake bait.My daughter would not sleep as a baby with a mouse in with her.She also had many rats.I trained my dogs not to bother them and they all lived happily for years.We have a mouse problem here but our cats smell has removed them from the house.I would never put traps or poison down.Living here in the country mice and rats are just part of the package.If you have a pet rat the smell keeps the mice away so they are a  very humane mouse deterant.I think rodents are so beautiful and so clever.They make great pets.
Great wee models for your lovel felted mice!!!
Hugs Diane xxx

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

If your mice are not old enough to breed, they are not far from it.  I believe they are of age shortly after weaning and their gestation period is about 2 weeks.  I will drag out my books and check for sure.  My husband doesn't understand me.  We had a mouse build a nest in our grill and I would not let anyone light it until he was long gone.  I hear "It's just a mouse.  It'll get in the house."  My reply "I'll take my chances."

Dilu Posts: 8,574

how cute, and they can be the perfect artist models for you  :photo:  keep the pics coming of your live models and whatever you create

dilu

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Kim

(I'm tellin ya, we really need the EEEEK!!! smiley!)

I agree.....lets see if we can encourage our wonderful All-Things-Computer-Guru!

Are you there Quy?  bear_wub

dilu

Ft. Bragg, NC

lol, you all make me laugh SOOO hard!

I didn't make this thread, by the way, to egg on the other thread.  I hope that is all done with.  It was just a good way to lead into my new little dynamic duo, and well, if it weren't for felted mice and all the hoo-haa over them, I probably wouldn't have gotten that MAJOR itch to get them!

I do NOT like long, skinny legged spiders; they give me a SERIOUS case of the willies!!!!!

I do love rodents, even the little mice seem to have an intelligence beyond the average animal (although I do think animals are far more intelligent than we give them credit for).

By the way, both of their doo-dads look exactly the same, so I think (whichever they are) I have two of the same sex.  They look like girls to me, but I still named the darker one William, and the lighter one I've now named Henry.

William and Henry! They're the two boy mice from Angelina Ballerina.... I really like that kid's show.  So I might have to change thier names.....  I'll see if they grow man-parts.

kimberly W.

I have to tell my "mouse" story.  About 18 months ago, we were going to head to Disneyworld for holiday and a few days before we left, I bent down to pick up what I thought was my cats toy mouse, but it ran away!  I was really startled.  I made the mistake of telling hubby, who immediately went out and bought mouse traps.  I was so upset, but agreed I didn't want him having free reign on the house while we were away.   My cats seem to catch outside mice just fine, but I think they figured if he's inside, he's part of the family LOL!
     So, we made a deal, if I could catch him before we left, I could relocate him, but if not, we would put several traps down before we left.  Hubby works as management for a a large grocery chain and has lots of experience with rodent problems  and hinted I might try catching him with peanut butter.  I caught him on the kitchen counter one night, but he escaped down the back of the fridge.  So I hatched my plan - the night before we were leaving, I put a china bowl in the kitchen sink with a spoon in it, which was full of peanut butter.  I got out the cutting board and put it where is was accessible along with a glass jar and lid.  I turned off all the lights and went up to my studio.  About 4:00 a.m., I heard a "clink, clink, clink" and I knew he was in the bowl!.  I crept downstairs in sock feet, picked up the cutting board and slid it so he couldn't get down the back of the fridge again, and then turned on the lights.  He scrambled up and soon realized he was trapped.  He ran the other way into the corner and I completely blocked him in, then put the mason jar on it's side and opened a little space for him to escape - right into the jar!!!  I quickly put the lid on and then proceeded to take pictures of him (which I wish I still had!) so hubby would believe me.  Then I took a big scoop of peanut butter and walked him to the very back of our property, telling him what a lucky mousie he was, cuz the big, bad man would much rather he was "mort"!!  I put the peanut butter on the grass, and slowly let him go.  Don't know whether he got the peanut butter or not, but I skipped all the way back to the house and couldn't sleep a wink.  I was sooo happy that he had survived!  I just don't have it in me to kill anything, including spiders, which I always relocate.  Just call me "sucker" LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer