Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I've actually managed to master my PaintShopProX layers palette, at least well enough to make a rudimentary avatar from my few decent photos.

I was supposed to devote the day to Spring Cleaning, but whatever I was doing suddenly started working, and I couldn't very well stop., could I? bear_laugh

What do you think?

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, lovely!  I'm so glad you spent some time to master your photo editor!  It will get easier and easier as you go along, as those foundational concepts settle in.

Very well done!!!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I already commented on the other thread, but the avatars are worth lauding once more!  Eileen - well done - I almost didn't recognize you LOL.  I love your avatar.

Shelli, I love your soft colour scheme - so nice for summer.  And  you bear is adorable. 

hugs,

Brenda

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Oooo, good job, Eileen!!

I have Adobe Photoshop cs2, and STILL haven't mastered it! lol

Kimberly W.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Very good job!  Now someone please help me.  I am looking into a photo program.  Paintshop, Adobe Photoshop - which is more user friendly?  I need something easy.  Any ideas?

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

iN MY OWN HUMBLE OPINION... i USED TO USE pAINT sHOP pRO EXCLUSIVELY, BUT SINCE i LEARNED pHOT sHOP i LIKE IT A whole LOT MORE. aND THE HELP FILES REALLY HELP ME OUT WITH ANYTHING ELSE. i THINK IT IS EASIER TO FIND WHAT YOU NEED IN pHOTO sHOP THAN pAINT SHOP PRO....... Oops.. sorry for the caps, but I am not typing that all over again'
Sonya

PS.. LOVE the new avatar! great job!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Eilleen your avatar is wonderful!!!!  I would love to see more picturs od the open-mouth bear, is it on here somewhere?  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

M10web.jpgbear_original Thanks, Shelli and Brenda and Shari and Millie and Kimberly!

bear_original Shelli, I love your new avatar! I hope I can master more of this stuff--it's fun :dance:

bear_original Millie--I experimented with a number of 'free trial versions' before I decided on PaintShopProX. It seems more user-friendly to me, but I have no idea how to judge this objectively. Price was an object for me. PSPX is now selling for about $59 USD, and comes with extras, including Animation Shop.

Shari--the open-mouthed bear was my St. Patrick's Day swap bear for Duff--named Maeve, after the Irish warrior queen. She's made of mink, and about 12" tall. She's also got a pink leather tongue, but it didn't show in any of the photos!

M7web.jpg

Eileen

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh, thank-you Eileen for showing me.I think Maeve is wonderful, I missed seeing all the St.Patty's bears as it was around my surgery and recovery time. I've never tried an open-mouth from real fur , it must have been very hard. Oh and I do adore your bunny ,do you still have her?
:hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Bravo, Eileen!  Ya done good, girl!  Shelli - love your new one, too!

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Eileen your avatar is wonderfull, and gosh that open mouth bear is gorgeous  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks, Shari and Sue Ann and Chris! :hug:

I still have the bunny! I can't yet bear to sell him :redface:

Maeve is wearing her third head in the photo! The other two are waiting for bodies of the right proportion!

Her open mouth is 'applied', i.e., sewn securely onto her neck and lower muzzle with a V-shape at the bottom.  I used leather for the mouth lining and the (invisible) tongue.

I like this effect better than the slit-muzzle technique, which comes out clunky-looking for me. I've also got one bear in the works whose open mouth is formed by a lower jaw and chin gusset. If it works, you'll see piccies! :photo:

On the photo-editing programs, I think each has its own advantages. PaintShopPro isn't as good as Adobe for color correction . . . unless there's some feature I haven't discovered. Which means that I have to work on my photography!! On the avatar, I left the picture darkish, with some shadows, because the collage seemed to show more depth and dimension this way.

PSP was wonderfully easy and flexible, once I discovered features that weren't even mentioned in the manual or training videos. There's an edge-sensitive background-eraser and an edge-sensitive outline tool that do a beautiful job on fur, once you find them, and the collage elements/layers are very easy to move and resize.

Eileen

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

bear_thumb Well done its great...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Nice job Eileen. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  It must feel good to accomplish this.   That is one of my goals, to learn to make my own avatars.  For now.....bears are waiting!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

What a lovely avatar Eileen.  I bet you have a great feeling of acomplishment since you made it all by yourself! I know I did!

Gorgeous bears in your avatar also!
Danni

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks, Danni and Judi and Lannie :hug:

:dance: Absolutely one of the world's best feelings!!  :dance:

bear_sad But then then I spent part of the afternoon trying to set up a simple website, got discouraged, gave up and took a nice nap. After I've run the doggies through the park a few times, I think I'll try again.

My daughter has offered, and I should probabaly let her set up a website for me, but I really really want to learn to do it myself. She can step in and rescue me when I'm hopelessly tangled. bear_thumb

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

[size=20]FANTABULOUS[/size]
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks, DilDil :hug:

I needed that bear_cry

bear_sad Today I'm completely deflated again, struggling with one poor little webpage . . .

ACK

bear_wacko

Eileen

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Wonderful Avatar, Eileen - you are very clever.
Now I really must learn how to do one of these myself, one day!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

eileen dont give up! the avatar is wonderful! i cant get the hang of layers myself..but i kept fooling around with the website until i got it!  i wanted it to be personal and mine,,it was soo rewarding when i finished! when i have a minute id like to try the avattars but not sure what the "rules " are for them?  do you start big and then resize at the end? and do they have to be done in layers ("_"_?!) yikes!  also love the bunnies!! yours and christines!  deb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks, Carolyn and Deb :hug:

bear_original Deb, I'm a complete rookie, but the layers just give you a way to combine separate photos. On PaintshopProX you just click File, New to establish a base layer (background), or you can use one of your photos as a background (if you won't want to move the bear later!).

Once the background is up, you just open a file of the pictures you want to include, and click/drag them onto the background. You can move them around, resize them, or change the order of the layers so that one bear is behind another instead of in front. You can erase each photo's background before or after it's on the background layer.

As you can see in my avatar, some of the bears still show signs of their original backgrounds. Cupid was photographed against an intense dark pink background which still shows, reflected on his wings. There's probably a way to make the wings white, but I haven't figured it out yet!
TTAvatar1.jpg
You don't have to resize the pictures before dragging them onto the background. I resized after the collage was finished, and saved it as a jpeg file at 72dpi.

Eileen

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Eileen fantastic Avatar and bears. :clap:

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

thanks that actually was a pretty straightforward explantion! Vermont has open studio weekend every memorial day weekend and we always choose a few to scope out,,we did jericho this year and saw some marvelously talented people! there are usually about 200 so you really cant begin to see them all. we pick a "cluster" of studios so we can check out as many as possible. such fun to see what others are doing! Altho you say you make bears and they go "HUH?" 5 of  us are doing a gallery show in that area with 5 quilters also..so hopefully it wont seem so alien by next year!!  deb

Board footer