Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

nettie scotland
Website

garden-1.jpgI was working in the garden this afternoon planting peas and courgettes and suddenly thought how lucky I am to have a garden.It is the best place to be if you are down.The fresh air manual labour and the smells and sounds just perk me right up.I wish I had more time out there.This is one of my favourite corners.I love the lilac and peony roses.
Diane xxx

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I love the garden...though I own up to not being much of a gardener...my other half loves gardening and I reap the benefits of his devotion to it in all weathers. Nothing tastes as nice as home grown veggies...better than all that supermarket stuff.

Your garden is a riot of colour, Diane...the weather must have been nicer north of the border...our garden is still very green and waiting to burst into colour...I can't wait.

You're right....we are all so lucky to have a garden...

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Just beautiful, Diane!   bear_flower We are very lucky to have gardens, aren't we?

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

P.S.  What are courgettes?

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

What a beautiful garden.
Lucky you to have a nice peaceful place!

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Aleta - I believe they are marrow/squash/zucchini - that type of thing.

Really pretty garden Diane.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_wub Oooh, that's lovely!!!  I'll just plop down on the grass and enjoy the lilacs with you  bear_happy  :hug:

nettie scotland
Website

Thanks everyone that liked my garden.Yes Jane you are right courgettes are what you can zuccini.I wonder how the name differs so much.
When I bought this house the garden had not one plant in it.It was rubble couch grass and even had an asbestos roof lying in it.I got hooked after the first year and was known for gardening by torchlight.I am almost finished it seven years later which is a bit sad.Just as I have a lovley garden I am set to move???I will have one more summer and winter with it.Moving my fish will be a hoot!!!
Diane xxx

Portland, Oregon
Website

Silly you, Diane.   bear_flower
One is never finished with a garden!  I've moved plants this year that I just planted last year.  Everything seems to grow much bigger than the little tags say they will.  Maybe it's the Dr. Earth fertilizer I use.   ;)

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Diane,
    Your garden is gorgeous.  We have a small patch for tomatoes and asperagus - hubby loooove his asperagus.  We're like  you though - it's finally growing properly after four years, and we're ready to move LOL!  I looove lilacs - ours are just beginning to come out.  They are a later variety, as most have already bloomed
     We've had three days of over 30 degree heat and humidity and I can't believe how much things can grow in a couple of days.  My delpinium has grown over a foot in three days, my lupins have gone from buds to actually blooming and my patches of bee balm are growing like weeds.   We have a huge hanging basked of fuchia coloured petunias and there are two hummingbirds that visit daily and push each other out of the way.  I don't know if they are rivals of if they are an "old married pair", but they bicker constanly!    I was out watering this morning and almost stepped on a big toad - he jumped and scared me and  then made me laugh.  If I saw a huge foot coming at me, I'd jump too!  Yep, I agree - gardens are good for the soul.  Thanks for sharing yours, Diane.

Hugs.

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Absolutely lovely!

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Gosh, I wish I had time to get out into my yard...and a little bit of money to plant things with. We live in high (over a mile high) and dry Colorado, and our growing season is fairly short. We've only been in this house a year (new construction), so it's up to us to put in everything in the back yard. I suppose if we had a wetter climate and some more money (and I could find the time!), our yard would be looking pretty good by now, but alas, it's not to be. Maybe next year?

And you say you're moving, Diane? Where are you going?

Debora

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Very pretty garden Diane and thanks for sharing the photo.
Yes, it is lovely to be able to get out in your own little piece of paradise, to escape.

Hugs
carolyn
bear_flower

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Your garden is so pretty, Diane.   bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Absolutely gorgeous, Diane . . . you must have the greenest of thumbs!  Even better would be to see it in person!

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Thank you Diane. You are for sure talented, even about gardening bear_wub

nettie scotland
Website
New Avenue Crew wrote:

Gosh, I wish I had time to get out into my yard...and a little bit of money to plant things with. We live in high (over a mile high) and dry Colorado, and our growing season is fairly short. We've only been in this house a year (new construction), so it's up to us to put in everything in the back yard. I suppose if we had a wetter climate and some more money (and I could find the time!), our yard would be looking pretty good by now, but alas, it's not to be. Maybe next year?

And you say you're moving, Diane? Where are you going?

Debora

I used to get called Skippy in the village Deborah as I took plants for the village skip (portable dump in case you don't have that word).I also get lots of plants from neighbours.I grew loads from seed and my friends have given me plants for birthday for years now.I have a lovley rose bush which my friend bpought to mark my daughter being gala queen here and a witch hazel bush "Diane".I will have quite a few too sentimental to leave.I forsee lots of huge posts in my removal van.
I plan to look for a more isolated cottage in the same general area .Hopefully next year or sooner.I will cry buckets leaving my garden as it is the first one I ever had and I have worked so hard on it..I don't have the time to keep it perfect but I like the wildness too.I like the way you call your backies yards.I rememeber when my friend Mary Dowd came to stay she  called it my back yard .
Diane xxx

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Diane,
     What do you call your "back yards" in Scotland?  Just curious.

hugs,

Brenda

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Oh Diane,
Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful garden!! I love it!!!!!!
Hugs,

nettie scotland
Website
thumperantiques wrote:

Diane,
     What do you call your "back yards" in Scotland?  Just curious.

hugs,

Brenda

Hi Brenda,
If you have only grass and poles for washing it is a back green,if it has no plants at all and slabs or concrete it is a back yard.If cultivated it is a back garden.In scotland a back garden normally has beds and lawn etc but also a place for hanging washing and a veggie plot.The front garden is usually just beds.Washing lines are not permitted in front gardens.I am in a conservation area so I even have to get permission to change the fencing???
There you are a complete break down of scottish gardens ha ha.
Hugs Diane xxx

Portland, Oregon
Website

So when I said my daughter was getting married in our back yard, everyone from your area of the world thinks she's getting married on slab concrete with no plants?  Zoinks!!   bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

I'll have to take a picture of our "back yard" or rather, "back garden."

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Thanks for sharing about Scottish gardens, Skippy.  bear_happy I love how there are different English words for things in different countries. I am fascinated by language, and I'm a proofreader and editor. How's that for being immersed in words?  bear_grin I know you won't want to leave your garden (it is quite lovely), but I also understand when the the urge to move hits. That's a toughie.

Bear hugs,
Debora

Board footer