Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

DSC01900-2.JPGDSC01902-2.JPGDSC01898-2.JPGDSC01896-2.JPG

It isn't too bad yet, for all you down under gals, excepting i suspect that to you we are down under  :crackup:

but we will keep the piccys coming to help keep your spirits up while your spirits up whilst you keep warm under piles of mohair and happily create away

These were the wild flowers I had this year.....we get tons of wild flowers, and i don't know why.  They are so tiny.  if i could have I would have gotten down and had something in the photo so you could see how small they are. 

The lillys are about 3 inches tall from ground to top....the daisys 2-3"

We have what is called serpantine soil.  Basically what that means- the soils is rock and the minerals are not condusive to growing,chromium, nickel, selenium,  high acid content and a pine tree in our little piece of the forest which is several hundred years old looks like it isn't really older than say 50. It takes forever for things to grow to any size here.  However we do have the most bizaare and diverse plant population than any where else in the world.  It is part of the Kalmiopsis wilderness area- 

We can look like a desert even though we get 60-80 inches of rain a year.  But the rain filters through all the rock and down to the water table and doesn't really quench the thirst of many of the plants. 

On the other hand; our water table is 35 feet, and our well is 150.....makes me feel a little more secure.....

We are very lucky to live here.  Fortunetly the parcels were bought and devlepoped before the local Siskiyou Project people got here.  They would love to force us all out-but hopefully they wont be able to yet.

well except for the meth heads

Most everyone I know sees their property as a kind of a sacred trust-it isn't really ours, but we get to take care of it.  And we all try to be good stewards.....a small footprint so to speak.  Leave the trees to do what they can, clean out the under brush so that a fire doesn't have fuel that could take out the trees, that sort of thing.....

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Those are pretty, it all looks so woodsy  bear_original

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Dilu, thank you for sharing your pictures - they are wonderful!  I love watching all the new flowers pop up overnight.  I would love to know more about plant uses.  Last summer I was stung by a wasp and had nothing to treat it with, so I went on the internet and found that the weed plantain is good for stings.  It worked like a charm.  Plants are amazing!  If we had paid more attention to first nation people instead of trying to wipe them out, we wouldn't have had to wait 200 years to learn all this stuff by ourselves.

Hugs,

Brenda

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I just love flowers.  It simply amazes me what can grow and where it can grow.  We have horrid soil...I swear I could throw it on a potters wheel and make bowls.  It's terrible...I've added compost galore and it's still icky in many places.  And...we have tons of rocks ranging from pebble size to bowling ball size.

Right now I have wild poppies popping up everywhere....and alyssum from last year growing in the gravel...good grief...and I've decided to grow weeds instead of flowers this year.  It just seems fair, don't you think.  Who declared them weeds anyway?   :crackup:   :crackup:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great photos, Dilu . . . love pics from everybody's property!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Dilu,  bear_flower
Your part of Oregon looks a lot different than my part of Oregon!  You have those fluffy kind of pine trees....the kind with the fluffed out needles.  Our wildflowers consist of California Poppies, some kind of pretty daisy, lupines and a pretty pale blue flower that I have yet to identify.   

Our soil here is clay.  What a pain in the hmmm hmmm.  Like Shantell, I amend, amend, amend the soil.  The compost and soil seller loves to see me every year.....truckload after truckload.  I think this year we've added at least six truckloads just to one area of the garden!   Oiy!  Okay, so I have a larger garden than most. 

Is it ever going to stop raining?  Not until July 5th.  Like clockwork, since we've lived in the Pacific Northwest, July 5th the sun comes out and stays out until the first or second week of October.  I've learned not to plan anything outdoors until after July 5th.  Otherwise, it's rain for sure.  There are spits and spots of sun until then but it generally isn't something you can count on that's for sure.  It's the price we pay to live in such a beautiful lush green climate.....nearly year round.   :)

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Thankyou Dilu  :hug:  :hug:  You have brightened my wintery heart for sure.

This week has been dragging ever so slowly but thankfully I only have to drag my sorry self out of bed for one more day - tomorrow is Friday YAY!
Winter has pretty much arrived and I'm leaving home in the dark and coming home in the dark  bear_sad   so your pretty spring flowers are most welcome.

This weekend is a long weekend as we celebrate the Queen's birthday on Monday morning (well not that we actually think of her but it's nice to have a day off work!!)  It's the last public holiday until October  bear_sad   and I plan to hibernate inside and sew sew sew.

That little dwarf lily/iris looking thing (I'm no gardener) is sooo pretty.

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

lovely and interesting story

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

cm10.jpgpatti6.jpgpatti7.jpgI loved your photos Dilu...I have only been to Portland and I loved the ride there, going along the river.  It was just gorgeous.
May I share some flowers here too?  these are not wild flowers, here in Georgia, they have come and gone and you can tell by the front Clemantis that we have had some pretty vicious Spring weather.  Hail and the likes.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Melissa,
     The Queen must have a lot of birthdays, as Canada celebrates it on May 24th weekend or the closest weekend to that date LOL!

Hugs,

Brenda

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Beautiful pictures gals.  It is so nice to see what is in bloom on other parts of the world.  I just love flowers. 50lb.gif

Ahhh Nancy!  Lovely old roses....I bet they have the most wonderful fragrance.....mine should start soon....I hope.....I love your Hollyhocks!  WOW!

Melanie Jayne:

Just about anywhere in the US where people have carved out a little niche for themselves but it is very rural and way far away from BIG CITYS there will be enviornmentalist type people who don't want you living there.

Our environmentalists mostly come from San Fransisco....this will make many of the US gals laugh because San Fransisco has become synonymous across the states as being home to a bunch of folks who have no experience living in rural areas, freak out when they come here but are absolutely convinced that they know what is best for everybody else.

Where I grew up, just south of Yosemite in California, they came up in the 80's and 90's and tried to tell all of us who had been there forever how we should live and everything we were doing wrong.

It can be very annoying to have been doing just fine and have someone tell you you are doing everything wrong. But you see, we already knew how to adapt.  Power outage?  Read a book.  Snowed in for three weeks?  Thats what food storage is for.  Drought?
Conserve!

They mostly want no one in the forested areas.  Regardless that we bought and paid for and own outright our property. ( No mortgage for us!)

I agree with many of the enviornmental precepts.  But almost everyone who grows up in an area like this does believe in it.  Its to our advantage to take care of our property, watch out that no contamination gets into the water table. 
Clear underbrush so that the trees don't burn.  Don't feed the wild critters, but love them and watch them from afar.

But I don't agree with anyone coming into the enchanted forest and telling all the rest of us how to live life.  We have been living this life for 50 odd years.  Actually the saying is 50 some odd years......but I figure the majority were odd, so..... and doing just fine thankyou!

The only people who have their trash cans turned over are the new comers who don't know that racoons and dogs and bears like trash.

The only ones who polute their watertables are the new comers and the meth heads.....because they don't understand the concept of 35 foot watertables, super porous soil and poisons seeping down through the ground.....

That sort of thing.

Thats what I meant.  It would be like me moving to London and telling all the Londoners how to do life my way.  Wouldn't work! 

YIKES

Me?

Big City?

The closet town to us  is Cave Junction and it has about 7 thousand people-and THAT IS a big city to me!

I will try to post more piccys for you gals going into winter....and i bet everyone will also do so.....I know how long winter can feel........

hugs

dilu

[size=22]You said it WildLadyFriend!!![/size]

Board footer