Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi, It's 10.50 pm I am now off to buy the new Harry potter Book. Any other big fans here? I've ordered two books one for Sarah and one for me. What's a bet there's a huge queue when I get there!

Jane

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh Jane,we love Harry here too.I gave my son money for his 14th birthday on June 30 because all he wanted was the new book.I'm going to pick it up tomorrow as soon as it comes out.We can't wait.There will be at least four of us trying to read it all at once here if my oldest fella will let us:P
The movies come out around Nov.so we go for my middle guys birthday.Can't wait to read the book,now I'll get even less done around here:| bear_happy
Blessings,Shari.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Jane Jane Jane  :lol:

I had mine and my mom-in-laws pre-ordered at Amazon months ago.

I usually stop everything to read them-everything!

Well, ok I do bathe and brush my teeth, but other than that.....

I have been worried-if I don't log on I will be hopelessly lost here......hmmm

what to do what to do

dilemma!

Mom-in-lae, by the way, is 86.  And she just loves the kids and all they get up to.  She too has read every single book.

She's really just a slightly plump, slight daffy, slightly wrinkled great big kid herself.

Hmmmm  just like me.

It's a little scarry.

It's said that substantive marraiges occur when you marry your father or your mother.  I watch my guy walk across the driveway and it is as though I were watching my dad- they are so alike.  Sometimes when I am not quite all here I think he is and feel nostalgic and sad, as I miss my dad very much.

He says the same about me....which I must say makes my life so much easier....

He grew up with a mom who always had to be doing, knitting, crocheting, sewing , making.

He thinks that being addicted to bears and gols is NORMAL!!!!!

Wooohoooo.....am I lucky or what?

So yes you have company out here Miss Jane-  I will be reading fast and furiously

under the covers with the flashlight....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

really :D

Quess who......

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

We are going, as a family of five, out to dinner... then to see the premiere of CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.  Then late tonight, our local Barnes & Noble is hosting a MIDNIGHT MAGIC party to introduce the new Harry Potter book, which is available as of 12am PST to we Californians.  So even my little 9-year old will be burning the midnight oil tonight, for this special event.  We've had TWO on hold for months, since there is inevitably a battle about who gets to read the new one first; and my husband is always in the thick of the fray!

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Gals,

Can't hardly wait for the book on tape of the newest Harry Potter book.  I have to be doing more than one thing at a time, so love to listen to Jim Dale read the Harry Potter books on tape while I work on bears.  It is soooo entertaining to hear all the different characters.   I just finished listening to the Order of the Phoenix for the 3rd or 4th time  to bring me up to date for the next installment.

I'm ready for a new Dark Arts teacher, hopefully a successful season for the Gyrffindor Quidditch team and, of course, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Hugs,

Wanda

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Girlywirlies

Can't wait for the next instalment of the Harry Potter books, but..... i'm going slightly into a dreamworld here girls (indulge me, i've been up all night) would'nt it be great if George Clooney were to play the next dark arts teacher.
I love George, as you all know - but he is developing a slightly sinister look to him don't you think? He'd be perfect playing a hunchback with a gammy leg, which would mean he could'nt run and personally i find that particularly attractive - OK so forget the hunchback bit , even I would'nt stoop that low. But George is developing dark rings under his eyes and his hair is turning grey, a new Lon Cheney in the making?
Anyway off to bed now - been to an all night party, it's 5.53 am and i'm feeling really peckish, a quick snack and then bedtime methinks.

Happy Days all

Pennypoodles bear_tongue

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Yah, I got it...The book that is. I can't believe I didn't do a stitch of sewing yesterday as I wanted to re-read the last book again before getting the new one. There were huge celebrations and parties throughout the country with bookshops opening at midnight. J. K Rowling was on TV reading from chapter six, so I know that part already, not that I won't read it, of course I will! We got free Harry Potter scarfs and the press were there taking photographs. Sarah and David had the books in there hand paid for by 12.02. I felt sorry for two 18 year old guys, they had been right at the front of the cue but needed the toilet. Their places were saved for them but when they got back they had missed out on the free scarfs and photo session. Hey what am I doing...I could be reading...Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jane
P.S. WandaHere in the UK Stephen Fry reads the books on tape and DVDs. Sarah has got them also read by Jim Dale and he changes some of the words, I expect to make it understandable for American kids who may not use some of our English words. But hey, just think of the strange words that J.K comes up with and they manage with those so I don't really see the point. Enjoy the book everyone. I'm really going this time.....................................bye!

Wanda-  what a great idea!  I would love to do that.  However am  much spending way toooo much-  need tush tape for the little ones, and want to get some charms to put around everyone's necks, and on and on -this is not a cheap hobby is it?

Oh well........

Dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Dilu,

I just sent a message from your website--I hope it works.

I love your website, by the way. It's full of jazzy personality bear_laugh One day I'll get mine going   .. . . need more bears!

Eileen

Macomb, IL
Website

Dilu,

No, this is not a cheap hobby, but we could be spending more ... look at golf, boating/sailing, flying, gambling, race car driving ????

If you enjoy it, then do it.

You might check out E-Bay for Harry Potter tapes.   I bought four sets as a package deal for a very reasonable price.  And if you don't want the tapes, they have CD's too. 

Good luck,

And Jane, here I thought I was getting the unabridged version of Harry Potter.   I did discover since the recent terrorist act that there really is a King's Cross railroad station.  Since I'm not familiar with the UK, I thought it was a made up name like all her names  (which I LOVE).

Wanda

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

I have ordered the book today, from a net-bookshop. bear_original So hopefully I will get it soon! I wasnt gonna buy it, as I have read them on swedish, but Im just so corious, and will read all the pages! *puh* :P

Do you have tapes/CDs where there are alot of people talking? For each caracter?! I want!! We have CDs here in Sweden too, but its a booooring male voice talking, and it dont sound that exiting.. :(

I rather stop making bears and read the book myself! bear_laugh

Macomb, IL
Website

Jossan,

Jim Dale reads the Harry Potter books and gives each character a very distinct voice.  While listening, I am transported to Hogwarts to mingle among all the characters. 

I just ordered the new book on tape this morning from Amazon.com and it should be here in about a week.   I can wait, but it will be hard.

Hugs,

Wanda

You are right Wanda......thank you for reminding me-My husband is a 'shade tree' mechanic....actually he is ASE certified.  He bought a jeep off e-bay because he needed a project car......wellllllll it has turned into a more ' expensive' project car than the others!  Yippppeeeee......you all know the old saying:

"  Whats good for the gander is good for the goose"  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

I like to remind him that the jeep doesn't snuggle- like a bear does.....but he said he wasn't into snuggling with bears but he was into....welll......we wont go there bear_laugh

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Drat, Dilu :/

I wish my husband did things like that! I need all the handles I can grab.

Although  . . .  he did suggest that I drop the tutoring to work on bears fulltime.
I can  refuse new students, but I don't see how I can drop my current chicks.

I guess this is one of those milestones in a bear-makers life. It certainly felt that way! :D

So who's read the new Harry Potter? I'm going to start looking for Stephen Fry's reading. I love hiim to bits.

Eileen

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Dilu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you Hon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha Ha Ha !!!!!! Garnet is not into the bear snuggling either!! But he does support the ol bear making in general. He is really a big teddy bear at heart.

Eileen it is great to have the Hubby support and I think in this business with the cost of supplies it is absolutely vital!

Hugs Louise

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin That's for sure, Louise. It's very expensive. But I think hubby's impressed with my bears so far, and I've sent him a few links to succesful eBay auctions.

My tutoring income (when they pay me!) helps a lot with the bills, which is why I'm reluctant to give it up. On the other hand, I work such long hours that it doesn't leave enough time for bears.
:(:(:(

I think I need to be better organized. First step is to sort out my post-deluvian mess and clear some working space . . .

Eileen

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Impressed! And so he should be! They are delightful! Are you working to hard my Dear?

Hugs Louise

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Eileen...Me Me...I've read the new Harry Potter book....Oh boy it's good! Now I'm not going to spoil it for anyone but when you get to page..................no, no only kidding, I won't tell. Hee, hee!

Jane.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Louise, of course I'm working too hard! :(

I keep trying to be businesslike, but hubby has to remind me that "you're not their MOM". Actually, in some cases I think I am. Several of my Asian kids are here with few friends, no family, and not enough English or money. A few of them are in way over their heads. My fees are on the low side for what I offer--$25/hour or $40/week for unlimited help, but it's still a stretch for many of them. That said, I get results and I'm worth it.

Not to toot my own trumpet, but . . .My Korean sweetie couldn't pass a course 6 months ago at York U. (which stinks), and now she's getting A's and transferring to U. of Toronto. My OCD boy, once a quivering silent mess who froze up when he tried to write and thought he had no future outside a  mental institution, is now taking a summer course in English mostly on his own (92% midterm!!) , and looking forward to a math major at U. of Toronto--he'll now talk your ear off, he stands taller and I could swear his voice is deeper. Others ditto.

Jane, don't tell us anything, but tell us everything!!

Gotta get that book. :D

I usually wait until the rabid hordes of kiddies have cleared out before hitting the bookstores for the latest Potter. Our Chapters is notorious among publishers for over-buying titles and having to send them back, so I know I'll find it there.

But I haven't always been immune to the frenzy . . . [picture gets wavy and fades]

I remember when I discovered The Lord of the Rings, sometime in the late 60s. I was living in Baltimore about half a block from a disco establishment known as The Pink Pussykat. Anyway, I finished the second volume sometime past midnight and set out right away to roam the mean streets in search of the third. I was lucky  to find it in a 24-hour convenience store around the corner and even luckier to get home without being mugged! To tell the truth, those books left me in such a state of righteous valor that I think I could have fought off a dozen muggers.

Eileen

Macomb, IL
Website
Eileen wrote:

I usually wait until the rabid hordes of kiddies have cleared out before hitting the bookstores for the latest Potter.

Eileen,

We just returned from a swap meet and while there I saw a little guy around 8/9 years old with the newest Harry Potter book and asked him if it was good.  He replied, "It's my Mom's book" ... so on my return trip to the car I saw a lady sitting beside the little boy reading  and I asked her, "Is it good?" ... she looked up at me and said, "Yeah, very good.  I started reading last night and have gotten this far, it is great" ....

So there you have it, Harry Potter has a lot of grownup followers.

Wanda

Got a telephone call last night.....I pick up the phone and all I here is

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

Took a sec to realize it was mom-in-law who got her book.  She said she was so excited she was going to stay up all night reading.

She's 86, and she lives in assisted living- they will be checkingon her durring the night and wont they be surprised when she is still up reading!

Eileen,

next to motherhood- which is def. the most difficult job in the world- teaching is a close second.  Teachers/mentors are so very important to our whole culture and civilization!  And that you are assisting folks who are already having problems and assisting them to move ahead and catch up and then realize their full potential is fabulous!

Hats off to you my dear...there is something very special in what you do for others.

Gotta go- there is some wool to shrink and gollys to cut out

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Eileen, I agree with Dilu . . . teaching is one of the most difficult careers in this day and age.  You are one of the most important people in the lives of so many, and your physical reward is SO meager!!  So you are to be commended for hanging in there with the students . . . hope the emotional/intellectual reward you get is enough!  Kudos to ALL teachers!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Dilu & SueAnn

I really feel in need of some encouragement right now! You're so sweet to listen to my RANT! :rolleyes:

Ah, but my two afternoon students cancelled, pleading heavy commitments in their other courses. I'm out $50 but up by about 5 hour of unexpected bear-time!!

Eileen

PENPEN

Lon Cheney....Oh my dear, but are we dating ourselves! :lol::lol::lol:

Haven't seen him in a movie in.....well.......a coons age~!

Dilylu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I just got this book on Saturday!  I had it reserved at Wal-mart for a month or so now! I couldn't wait!  By the way, I on the way in to work this a.m. there were people that were calling in about Harry Potter and the one woman who called in said that the harry potter books should be "banned" because they "encourage devil worshiping and witchcraft" She said that she is a Christian woman and anyone who would call in and disagree with her were "speaking the words of the devil"  OH MY! it is a book!  I am sorry - I am not trying to bring religion up  but I just had to let you all know!  She said that in the books there are references to "green" and that green is "the color of the devil" - i was sooooo tempted to call in! LMAO bear_original

Board footer