Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Usually I wouldn't bogart an entire thread to address my personal life but I just wanted to offer this as a gossip ender.  It's come to my attention that some talk is going round that I might be nearing the end of my bearmaking career, and that I have plans to step out of the industry and stop bearmaking. 

I just wanted to very publicly state that nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes, bearmaking has been very slow for me, for a variety of reasons having to do with school ending, and kids home and really sucking up my time, and some other less pleasant personal stuff that has been extraordinarily overwhelming.  It would not be inaccurate to say that in personal (not bear-related; that's been great!) ways, late-2005 through NOW has been kinda a crap time for me.  Don't really want to go into it more than that, and I'm a tough cookie and don't need handholding or well wishes or anything like that; that's not my purpose in writing.

Rather, I just wanted to put worried minds to rest, and to make sure that people know I have absolutely no plans whatsoever to disappear off the teddy map but rather, have been trying to find ways to stay afloat in my personal life while increasing, not decreasing, my bearmaking productivity level.  It's just all been a real juggling act for almost a year now, in which the juggling balls keep changing on me, mid-toss.... so meeting deadlines and making bears, while holding everything else together in my life, making big changes that take big adjustments, has been kinda difficult.

Thanks for letting me share, and for your many notes of concern!

Sticking around for the long haul, even if I do make only 2.4 bears per month, bear_original

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Dear Shelli,
What a sad day it would be if you were to stop making your beautiful bears, you just have to do what you are comfortable with and are able to fit in.
bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower
Cheers Susan

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shelli,
     Must have my head in the sand cuz I ddn't hear any rumours - I just figured you were busy with "life" like the rest of us are.  I do want to say 'YIPPPEE' that you will be making lots more bears because they are wonderful!  By the way, 2.4 bears a month is about the most I ever get made and I don't have kids to look after - you are way ahead of me LOL!  Take care of yourself and things will come together for you.

Lots of hugs  :hug:  :hug:

Brenda

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

I didn't hear any rumors either...but Shelli...Hang in there!!! You are a strong woman!!! Always remember that! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Hugs,

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Awe Sheli! I never heard any rumors either and I just thought you were caught up with life as we all tend to be. I am so every grateful however that if there were a rumor of such, that it is simply not true becuase you have too great a gift to stop! I am truly hoping however that life soon becomes normal for you and your family and that we will see more of those wonderful Potbelly Bears on the teddy scene!! We do miss you however as we do not see or hear from you as often as we used to so we look forward to when things are on the up swing!

Many Hugs Louise

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm a tough cookie and don't need handholding or well wishes or anything like that

Well...Tough Cookie, you're getting a hug from me anyway!!!

:hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Ha...three hugs in fact!!!

Shantell

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

bear_original 

Thanks, all.  Truly, and deeply.  It means the world.

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Shelli, it's good to hear that your keeping up with those beautiful bears of yours.   bear_wub bear_thumb Not that I have heard any diferently.  bear_wacko I think we all at some stage have a bit of a slow down for one reason or another. Though sometimes it might look like we are havening a slow down when infoact we are working like mad behind the scenes  bear_grin

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

oh Shelli - that is good news.  I've been a bit worried about you lately, but like everyone else am happy to hear that you are not planning to hang up the mohair so to speak!!!   

Hope what ever it is that you are going through sorts itself out and you are completly content with the wayt hings are!

We all love yah!
Danni

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I want to say that I had heard nothing of this either..and, I have to add, suspected nothing...since bearmaking, in any serious and committed sense is, by it's very nature, one of those things that happens in waves anyway. I can appear to have nothing doing for ages and suddenly I'll release a rash of new bears that I have been quietly working on..and I think there are quite a few of us like that.

I know how it feels for people to start concluding things, too. I slowed up considerably last year after 3 years of producing a ridiculous 4 bears plus per week. I'd had 2 new grand-children...developed a type of vertigo which knocked me for six...had a full dose of 'life' and generally realised that I was suposed to be enjoying bear-making and it that was becoming a production line..which I hated. So when a woman at a fair said she heard I'd given up I was shocked that in a few months of me being 'less visible' I was suddenly the subject of  a totally fictitious rumour...which I am now used to, by the way, after 32 years in a business that wouldn't exist without gossip.....and ,therefore, business increasing word of mouth.

But here I am Shelli...and there you are...and if you are anything like me it'll make you come through even more determined to make even nicer bears....

As someone famously said...don't ask me who at this time in the morning...you only have to worry when people aren't talking about you.......

I am sure you will be talked about (in the nicest way) for a long time to come!!!!!

PS: It was Oscar Wilde..and he actually said: 'There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about'......How true!!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:hug: :hug: Shelli, I wouldn't have believed it anyway! :hug:  :hug:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

To the greatest POTBELLY BEAR Maker in the world we loves yer Shelli!  bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub

Nothing heard her either. boy us bear makers must be crossed with Emus!

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

It's tough weaving self-employ through personal life Shelli.  I've found there have been times during the past six years when I've struggled and failed to achieve the balance needed for things to work efficiently.  There are always going to be times when personal life swamps professional life, the best way to deal with it is to accept it and allow yourself to focus on what's most important, until you can get those scales balancing again.

As for the gossipers, they should know better.  Bear artists do their utmost in all kinds of difficult cirucmstances, for their supporters and occasionally need a little patience in return.  Gossiping is of no value to anyone.  Sorry to hear you've been targeted.  Shame on them.

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

don't need handholding or well wishes or anything like that;

How about just a set of clapping hands.
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
hugs kassie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Honestly, you guys (gals!) are the absolute greatest.  Thank you so much for your care and concern!  It really does make a difference.

:hug:

Stellajella Wien

Duh! As if anybody who is so gifted in bear making and produces such adorable bears bear_wub  would ever stop making bears! bear_grin
Shelli, I´ve been out there couting the bums sticking out of the sand  :crackup: - I guess you don´t need to worry about this rumour!

I wish you, that you´ll soon forget these nasty words rumouring aroud and that you find more time to make more of your wonderful bears . :hug:

Gaby bear_flower

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I hadn't heard anything either.... and I certainly wouldn't have belived it if I had!  bear_smile  I'm right there with you at the 2 and 1/2 bears per month mark as well! It's not a bad place to be at all!
Hope that things settle down for you soon!  Until then...   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I haven't heard this at all... I knew that you would be not creating as many with the kiddies being home and it being sunny and warm out bear_original  I haven't been creating quite as much either... I agree though, bearmaking goes in spurts... I have made 4 bears a week at one point and now I am lucky to do 4 a month sometimes... Since bearmaking is a hobby for me, it kind of fits in after work, after housework, after caring for the dogs and hubster. 

The bear world would be missing something without ya, Shel!  you are fabulous artist and glad to hear that you are still chugging along!!!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Shelli

What a shame you've had to come on here and explain this just because of some mindless gossip - Aren't you allowed a life outside of bearmaking that you can't keep private???

Keep your chin up, you know you have the support of everyone here bear_original

Hugs :hug:  :hug:

nettie scotland
Website

Shelli you sound Scottish dearie.We were brought up with "don't tell other  people your troubles as they have plenty of their own!!!".Right in some instances I think ,depends on the person. I hope life gets better .I am sure you will be fine as you sound pretty solid to me.It would be a sad day in the bear world if you ever did stop!!!Be nice to yourself honey bunny.
Diane xxx

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Hey Shelli,
I hadn't heard any rumors either.  I also thought you were just busy creating more of your wonderful bears.

I have been "juggling" for over a year so I totally understand where you are coming from.  Hugs to you and we are all here for you!
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Dear Dear Shelli  bear_flower

It hurts me to hear, that you are a target of gossip.
Is it from TT?
I haven't heard a thing - thank God.
But I ask myself - why - you are such a sweet and carrying
person, and you share everything you can.
I am pleased to know you.
It was only yesterday, I was wondering, where you were.
For me you are Teddy Talk.

Hugs Birgitte  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

PS. Take good care of yourself.  bear_original

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I'm not as 'bear active' as I'd like to be but then there is other stuff going on, not bad, just other things. So hang in there and don't tie yourself in knots trying to do a million and one things. :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Well said, Shel.

bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Again, I'm just overwhelmed with your kindnesses.  Thank you so much!

I do want to clarify that I don't feel targeted or that the talk on this subject has been mean-spirited or nasty in any way.  It's just inaccurate, and because it has the potential to mislead fellow artists and collectors and other people whose opinions matter to me, I just wanted to correct that inaccuracy.

You're all so appreciated!

PS  Diane, I WISH I were Scottish.  I would pay good money to hear you or Rita (can't recall any other Scot TTers off the top of my head) speak, even for just one minute!

Pages:

Board footer