Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey ladies,

Some of you might remember that I was going to teach my grandma how to make a bear. She had a drapery business her whole life and now that it's gone, she wanted to see what else she could sew.

So our bear makng began. She was a great student, even taught me a trick or two! She insisted on doing EVERYTHING by the machine, foot pads, guesset etc. She did great!

Now we are closer than ever ( lots of 5 hr sessions in my studio) and she is now hooked on bearmaking and is raiding my supplies. That I'll have to deal with later, as I find myself very possesive about my mohair!

But here is a picture, I tried to draw a nice simple pattern for her, and all I did on the face was shade a bit, and hide a few imperfections. But the whole look is hers!

Okay, I"ll stop rambling and show you the picture.

Let me know what you think, maybe I'll send her the replies.

bear1.jpg

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Heather, Your Grandmother is a natural!!! I love her bear!!! But do remember to give the teacher credit too :hug:  :hug:
Hugs,

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: Way to go, Heather's Grandma!!!  What an excellent first-time bear!!  She did a great job!! bear_thumb  bear_thumb

And lucky you Heather, to have this time teaching your grandma bear making!  That must have been so much fun, and it's a special time you will both always remember! :hug:

Now, about the raiding of your bear supplies.......you'd best get a padlock for your mohair stash!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Heather, that is just great! You obviously did a fantastic job of teaching and your Grandma is either a natural or a VERY quick learner! Fabulous bear - even if it hadn't been a first!!!
Bear hugs, Edie

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Oh Heather... What a wonderful wonderful bear she has made! I remember you told us you were going to teach her. I so wish that I had a grandmother to teach. It must have been so special. Tell grandma GREAT JOB!
Hugs
Sonya

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Your Grandma did a wonderful job.  My advice to you:  Spend as much time with your Grandma as you can.  She has a lot of life lessons that she can teach you.  I wish my Grandma was here to sew with me.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Heather thanks for showing us the bear.  It is wonderful she did a great job and of course she had a awesome teacher!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Jane

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Heather, your grandma is a natural! She made a simply lovely bear!  bear_wub  bear_thumb  How special that you two were able to spend time together creating. You're making me miss my grandma Marge...she's the one I named my bear Geneva after (her middle name). Spend as much time with your grandma as you can. What precious times!

Debora

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Your Gran did a great job Heather - now did she pick up her skills from you or did you pick up your skills from her!!!!  :crackup:

Marion

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Dear Heather,
what a great way to share precious time with your gran, she has made a beautiful bear. You must be both very proud.
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Heather,
     What an awesome job your grandmother did - you must be a natural instructor.  How lucky you are to still have her in your life to spend time with!

hugs,

Brenda

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Awe, such a cute bear! You two must have had so much fun!  you may want to tape record a session or two so you can have her voice.  We did that with my Great Nana and that tape is a treasure bear_wub

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

It looks like your Nan is a natural Heather. Pretty fabric she chose.  It wont be long before you have competition!
hahahah Regards Wendy bear_thumb

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Awesome my Love! You are one heck of a teacher! Could we make arrangements for you to come and give me a lesson or two!! Gorgeous bear!

Many Hugs Louise

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

What a wonderful Bear!!!  Like Grandmother Like Granddaughter I think -- must be in the genes!

Well done to you Heather also, I bet you made a fantastic teacher!
Danni

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You guys are great! I had never thought to take credit for teaching.

She just wrote me and thanked me. She said I was a very good teacher and was very patient with her.

I can't wait to see what else she comes up with.

So, thanks for the replies. I'm going to show them to her, so she can tell what a great job she's done

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Heather how special wonderful... bear_original
What a wonderful bear... Clever Grandma.
This bought a tear to my eye in a nice way...
I wish i could have made a bear with my Nan...
Alas she passed on years ago... bear_sad
I SAY KEEP HER CLOSE AND SPOIL HER ROTTON...
EVEN IF SHE IS PINCHING YOUR BEAR BITS bear_thumb

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

The bear looks great.   bear_wub   I think it's really nice that you can make bears together.   :hug:

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Wonderful job, what a sweet face too!

Board footer