Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Closeup72dpi.jpgFull-body72dpi.jpgI've been absolutely stagnant in my bearmaking since my show in April (I think I've eked out about five pieces, if that) for a lot of reasons, some of them good (like the intrusion of health issues, family and feline.)

Having said that, I've finally finished a piece (for Collins Gift Shop) and for the life of me can't come up with a name.

Please don't be offended if I don't use your suggestions, but I sure would welcome some, all the same.  Sometimes a noodge or two is all it takes to get my own brain going in the right direction.

I think it's a girl; what's your take?

She has a new three-cord lid which makes the upper one darker than usual, and gives the eyes more depth.

Help! and thanks,

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Shelli, what a beautiful bear !!!!

She has gorgeous princess face :)
I love her bear_laugh She takes my breath away !!

sorry, I can't help with her name since I am no good for naming :/

Hugs/Marie

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Beautiful bear Shelli. She looks elegant and graceful. I looked into her soulful eyes for a while..and the name that came to me was "Giselle" and of course I won't be offended if you don't use it. Just my suggestion. The eyes look great!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Frankly, Marie, the name "Marie" came to mind.  "No good for naming...."  Criminies, woman.  You're a gem.

Hayley, thanks for the characterization.   I had kinda the same feeling about her.  "Giselle" is very pretty; a great contender.

Anyone else have ideas?

Looks like we're leaning in the direction of "girl."...?

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

What color are the eyes ? The bear needs something on a theme...that will get it a name ? The collar looks to dark, contrasty for me...if it is a girl then give her a girls neck frilly of some sort  that goes with her nose , just some suggestions...Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Oh, and I do want to be sure and mention this is a glorious piece of Intercal mohair:

Quality:  370 S/C   http://www.intercaltg.com/colors/finish370SC.html  S-Finish, Curly
Color:  584S          http://www.intercaltg.com/colors/584Sh.html          Beige (beautiful cool color!)

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Eyes72dpi.jpgGood point, Winney.  I didn't want to invest too much in her finishing until I knew she was being perceived as a "she." 

Here's a big closeup of the eyes.  They're handpainted starburst in beige-y tones, very cool, with some sparkle, and radiating black lines.  There is the tiniest smidge of deep purple to add a smattering of color.  It's not very apparent.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

The name that came to mind for me is Chelsea!  Just when I saw her that name was there.

She is spectacular!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Wonderful Shelli. I can see where colors of purple, teal and gold metallic may be a neat way to go...some fantasy frillys around her neck....then I'd name her something like hmmmmm, don't know but unusual like..
ooops what about the rusty red nose ?  We need a different color combination here ...off white, beige, smudgy purple...red dosn't seem to go for me...not unless she is a clown...a pretty clown . Hope I don't add to your confusion, maybe just brainstorming will help you grab onto a name...Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

The nose is more of a deep, lush burgundy color (purplish cool tones) than a brick red.  It kinda went with the royal purple thang.  I was going for a kinda sophisticated, feminine finish, to go with that dense, cool-toned beige mohair.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Full-body-ruff.jpgOkay, Winney... good suggestions.  What about now?

Still need a name.  So far we've heard:

Giselle
Marie
Chelsea

Please add your contribution!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Shelli  Shelli Shelli !!!!!
I love her bow and the pearl around her neck.
You make beautiful accessory always. :cool:

Hugs/Marie

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Shelli...the collar was a little too butchie for such a pretty bear for my liking (but hey, ya gotta try things to see what suits best right?)...but the frilly collar is just perfect...and I'm leaning towards "Marie" now too. She's a very genteel, unassuming sweetie..just like our Marie is. bear_happy Still like Giselle too...especially with ze French Accent!, but having said that...the bear looks less sophisticated with the choice of fabrics in the neck frill now..so more "sweet". I think no matter what you call her...she's a fantastic piece! And the eyes really are great...thanks for the closeup!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Golly-gee-gosh what a cutie pie Shelli, I love her and yes she is definitely a girl, too pretty to be a boy. The pretty collar is much better for her. Those eyes are to die for, great work my friend! As for the name...well let me see...Ummmm! How about Princess or beauty or ...................oh I can't think of anything that would add to this beautiful work of art.....I love her Shelli!

Jane.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I think she needs a name that just says "royalty".  However, I can't think of such a name.  So I guess I am of little or no help.  Maybe after another cup of coffee.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Victoria?

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Beautiful bear, Shelli- "Pansy" isn't very regal, but it popped into my head because I had some in a similar cream and purpley-burgundy scheme this spring. Anyway, good luck with naming her--- Suzanne

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Hi Shelli....

I think she looks like a:

Dessa Rae.

Here are a few (well, more than that) to get your mind joggled a little.  It may help 'inspire' you... to get thinking.

Madeleine
Taylor
Sidney
Babbs
Savannah (they use that name for girls here in the south quite a bit)
Sierra
Kaitlyn
Heather
Anika
Miranda ( she looks like a Miranda to me too)
Emmie

She is very elegant and just absolutely encompassing...she definitely derserves a name that suits her.
I hope these names will help inspire.  I can think up more if you need any more suggestions. 
It is just a little early for me...but I am a big 'namer'...no problem. :D

Nanc........

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

There is a five year old girl in my daughters school, very pretty with blonde hair and she is called Kezia.

Verity is a nice name, shes on the radio here.
Louisa
Lily or Lillian. Her nose and dark red accents in the eyes remind me of those in real lilies. Good luck!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

O SHelli, your new bear is beautiful ( as are all of your bears !)  Those are are just to die for .

The names that come to mind are Penelope and Amber -(because of the creamy golden coloring around her ears and feet ).   

I'm sure you will chose the perfect name.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

She is elegant and has a patrician air.  The shape of her head is slightly different than usual-for you-her muzzle looks slightly elongated.  I think this is what gives her that elegant air.

I haven't read what everyone else said- didn't want to be influenced, but I think the collar on her is the wrong colour- her fur color is more important than that thing. And just like we wear colors that look good on us I do not believe for an instant that she would have chosen that collar herself.  She is too feminine for that colLar.  Do you have any brooches?  And antique one that you could put on a lace collar?

I guess I was leaning towards Victorian-

I think she needs something in a softer pastel, and more feminine. 

Also she reminds me of Princess Grace-  her eyes a little sad, like she has seen things that the rest of the bears haven't, and she must still carry on in dignity and grace.

I DO NOT KNOW THE MEANING OF ANTHROPOMORPHIC! :D

Shell, when I burn out on gollies I make a bear, it's like eating sherbert in the middle of a 6 course elegant meal- it cleanses your palate.  So maybe you could try doing something different-  resize your patterns into a size you have never done before, or make a golly, or make a different critter, or sew all your mohair scraps together and make a patchwork bear just to cuddle with or..boy is it ever easy to tell others what to do :lol::lol::lol:...

When my dad would get in a funk he would do stuff like that.  Instead of paint he would fool around with clay- or go someplace he had never sketched before- or try a subject he didn't usually do.  (like portraits)

Whenever we get stagnant it helps us to give our poor little peabrains, ( ok my poor little peabrain ::P ) new info to process and before you know it you have a gazillion new ideas.

I really like your bear, I think she is quite beautiful. And any collector would be incredably luck to be her new owner. 

I know you will get it all pulled together.

Dilu

Just read everyones posts.....it is a little scarry how much alike we all think- but it also indicates that we are al increably intelligent and creative :lol:

(I made that up)

but it sounds good

by the way :

SIERRA  is beautiful---but did you guys know it means SAWTOOTH

It kind of changes things looked at from that viewpoint.....

you are getting great ideas-are the creativities flowing in you yet.....now that we all have a vested interest I think we are all excited to see what you do!!!

Hugs

D

Nanc.....where are you?

Dilu

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Shelli I just love her. Names.........Hm........She is so pretty! Let me think.....Hmm.......

1) Precious
2) Antoinette
3) Anastashia
4) Gillian
4) Aggie
5) Ariel
6) Callie
7) Chandra
8) Damitra
9) Desta

I dont know Shelli, she is so pretty it has to be a pretty name.

Hugs Louise

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I liked it better when she was a "he"  I thought Collin... but if you are going with female...

Board footer