Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Posted Jan. 14 Meet Stinkie or sweetie -

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share with you a little friend I have who is visiting my front pouch. The night before last, this is what happen. I went to go outside and on my front doorstep and behold stood this little skunk. We kinda scare each other. That goodness he decided to keep that perfume to himself -  sweet or other wise.
Needles to say, I did not move a mussel. I got a really good look at him or her. We were only about a foot or so away from each other.  I think they are so cute with their tiny little faces. I have been close before but it has been a long time. I almost forgot how really cute they are. I had the door half opened and my hubby wanted to know what was wrong why I was stand there. It is one of those times you just don't want to talk. So very tiny soft voice I said "skunk", he said what, I said "skunk" in a higher tiny voice. So, he comes over cause he can't hear me and I am holding the door so he does not pull it opened and scare the little guy again. He sees him and goes for the camera. By the time he gets back the little one starts to walk away down the stairs and he is gone. So, I had the camera ready for last night. And here the little wee one is. The funny thing is he/she would not take it's head out of the dish long enough for me to get a good picture. I am sitting on the step talking to this skunk trying to get it to put it head up. (My hubby was going nuts in the background behind the closed door)   
I will have camera ready again tonight. Oh, and the cats I feed outside, just walk around this little guy - no fear at all. Maybe this one was raised by a cat mommy. I have heard that can happen. Would that be cool or what!
A cat skunk. Oh and that dish is not very big, so it makes him/her look big, but really the skunk is not very big at all. Maybe the size of a kitten about two months old.

hugs everyone.
kassie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Stinkie or Sweetie and I had a photo shoot tonight and we had a wonderful time.

skunkcata.jpg

He/she was a little shy at first - "We really need to get these gritters to do their paper work we never know whether to get pink or blue props for the photos shoots."  bear_rolleyes LOL
Anyway, it was amazing. I was sitting outside with my girls "the cats" and they were all looking in the same direction. So I watched and then out of the dark came waddling little stinkie or sweetie. She/he walk across my lawn right at me. So, I got up and slowly went into the house to get the camera. I had it handy right at the door. I could not believe it when stinky or sweetie didn't even seem to mind that I was standing in the door. So, I sat back down and waiting to see what she/he would do. Well, the photos speak for themselves. She/he was right at my feet and I got some good ones, but she/he moves around a lot. LOL Very hard to photo. I have put some silly comments at some pictures because there were moments that made me laugh. I could not get this on picture. It has rained here so everything is wet and she/he too and would just start to shake like a dog and it was so funny. I thought I would get sprayed, because I laughed so loud. All that fur would shake first from the top of his/her head to the tip of his/her tail. It was so funny.  :crackup: Then he/she would scratch it's self like a dog and it was so funny too. Stinkie or Sweetie just wiggled everywhere when he/she did that. I am going to try and get it on video at his/her next visit. It is just too funny not to try. enjoy the pictures.
hugs kassie

"Oh don't be shy"

skunk24.jpg   :photo:

skunk25.jpg   :photo:

"Oh there you are Little Stinkie or Sweetie" "It is ok don't be shy"

skunk21b.jpg   :photo:

"I see you peeking at me", "Come on now sweetie"

skunk12b.jpg   :photo:

"Oh there see." "You are so pretty."

skunk10b.jpg   :photo:

skunk9c.jpg   :photo:

After Little Stinkie or Sweetie got over his/her shyness the shoot was a hit.

skunk8c.jpg  :photo:

skunk13a.jpg  :photo:

skunk15c.jpg  :photo:

"Oh - Hold it - we have a problem" "There something wrong with Little Stinkie or Sweetie"  bear_shocked

skunk17c.jpg 

"Oh she/he has a prop on his/her foot"    bear_ermm

skunk16a.jpg   bear_shocked

skunkhead1.jpg   bear_shocked   bear_shocked 

"She/he does not seem too upset - oh let's see what happens"

skunk18e.jpg

This was funny. She/he just stood there looking at the cat food, not really knowing what to do. Or at lest I thought that was what was happening. I  :crackup: . But he/she got it and went back to eating.
"There - back to the shoot"

skunk14a.jpg  :photo:

skunk15d.jpg   :photo:

skunk20c.jpg   :photo:

skunk19c.jpg   :photo:

skunkhead2a.jpg  :photo:

skunkhead3b.jpg  :photo:

and she/he goes home - shoot over!

skunklast.jpg

"Thank goodness we are getting hungry ...... I am getting very cranky"

cats2.jpg

"Well lets go and eat"

cats1.jpg

"Are you sure he/she is gone" I don't want to be interrupted again"

cats3.jpg

cats4.jpg

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Great photo shoot Kassie. bear_thumb

Oregon

Thank you hon, I had a lot of fun with this little guy.

I had some loading problems, so you may want to go threw on more time.
hugs kassie

Oregon

P.s if any ones wants some pictures for modeling a Stinkie or Sweetie. Just email me. I have some very good close ups that I can not load on tt. The claws and eyes etc. are really clear.

hugs kassie

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Wonderful pictures......who would even think of getting that close to get pictures? I'd run the other way........ bear_original
pandamac

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

awwww! darlin looks a little skinny & bedraggled! But then again I am used to
looking at pictures of the plump & spoiled pet skunks  bear_grin Wish they were legal
pets in New England...

Thank you for sharing your neighbor with us!

K Pawz Guest

Awesome pictures Kassie.....what a sweetie.....and did you all see the size of those claws and teeth??? Thank god this little one is friendly....

Hugs,
Krista

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

LOL....just be careful Kassie, as these guys can spray with accuracy if they get startled, or feel like you're infringing..  bear_shocked   

...so are we going to see a new skunk pattern from you soon?  bear_happy   Enjoy your 'visitor' they are fun to watch  :photo:

Oregon

Hi Ellen -

who would even think of getting that close to get pictures?

silly me of course!!!  :crackup:  :crackup: *wink*

Hi Kim

awwww! darlin looks a little skinny & bedraggled!

Ya I know. I will fatten he/her up. The way he/she is eating all the cat food up it should not take too long.  bear_grin The skunk also was very wet from the wet grass in our fields. It is so little that it was just wet to the bone. Poor little Stinkie or Sweetie.

Hi Krista

and did you all see the size of those claws and teeth???

I know! Is that not amazing! Being so young - they are really sharp.

Thank god this little one is friendly....

For sure - you can say that again!!!!!

Thank god this little one is friendly....

Hi DebbieD

LOL....just be careful Kassie, as these guys can spray with accuracy if they get startled, or feel like you're infringing..

I know what you mean. When I laughed last night I really thought I was in trouble.  :crackup: I thought "Ooohhh crap"  bear_shocked But he/she did not even mind the sound of me laughing. Thank goodness! I have done some pretty crazy things trying to get photos of animals in my life. I could tell you some stories. But, I think this is the most "Silly" ever.  :crackup:  :crackup: Only because I can not ran fast enough if this little guys decides to share himself with me.
My husband knows me really well and he just shakes his head and walks away.  :lola:
Well, not to worrie sweet Deb - I will be careful.  bear_whistle Skunk pattern. Hmmm? you just never know. *wink*

hugs all - I am glad you enjoyed the visit with Skinkie or Sweetie
kassie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

AAWWWEEE. I am glad your kitties did not get "perfumed" by the lovely little critter.

Great pictures!

We recently had a skunk visit our calves outisde...I could smell it from inside the house.  I'm just glad hubster wasn't in the line of fire!...or he'd be sleeping in the barn!!! bear_shocked  bear_grin

chris009av Real Deal Bears

That was wonderfull Kassie.
I loved seeing those photos, and the story to go with it made it very interesting.
I have parrots that eat my dogs food.
I never thought that a skunk would come so close to civilisation.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Great pictures, Kassie!

Thank you so much for the laugh!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Great photoshoot - thanks for sharing. I have never seen a skunk before, only in the cartoons.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Ooh Kassie...be very careful with the skunk.  We have two here that think they belong and the catfood and compost are a regular buffet for their taking.  One is very skittish and can be easily deterred; however, the second one  which is actually alot smaller is not very nice at all.  It (since I don't know if it's a boy/girl) actually charges at our cats (and us for that matter) and has twice attacked one of them.  It can not be scared away and if you try will just spray...and let me tell you....PEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUU!!!  The little brat has gotten more and more aggressive and comes at all times of the day...they are suppose to be nocturnal. 

Just be very careful...they really aren't that friendly and unfortunately carry disease and such.  I would hate for you or your beautiful cat to either be sprayed or attacked.

Hugs to you...

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Kassie ~! you are great photographer !!   
I've never saw real skunk before...   

Your cats are must be so brave to stay there
right behind skunk guy.(or lady ?)

Hugs/Marie

Oregon

Hiya Judi girl. ya I am too glad the cats did not get "perfumed" . I really think this little skunk may have been around the cats for some time. He/she just walks around them like they know each other. The cats don't even care that the skunk is there. It is cool to watch.

I'm just glad hubster wasn't in the line of fire!...or he'd be sleeping in the barn!!!

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: That is just what my hubby said to me. "Kassie doll - if you keep playing around with that skunk you may find yourself sleeping in the barn." Well, I would not mind so much, I love being with my horses anyway.  bear_original They may not find me all that appealing.  :crackup: It is interesting, we have not smelled skunk here once. I think this little guy is figgering on this is home.

You are all welcome. I enjoy sharing my animal advertures. I tend to have a lot of them. Mainly the wild kind.

Christine-

I never thought that a skunk would come so close to civilisation.

As a rule they don't usually show themself like this little guys has. They are generally very shy. Hense - surprise the skunk and you get sprayed. But, this little guy does not surprise easily. He/she just walks around and walks right up to me. Yes, it is kinda scary - but I have learnt to trust when these things happen, because I can get some cool pictures.

Renae hon - anytime!!!! You are welcome anything.  :hug:

Carolyn

I have never seen a skunk before, only in the cartoons.

I am so glad you enjoyed that. I would never have thought that many people have not really seen a skunk or other animals for that matter. I guess I take my wild animal advertures for granted. I am glad you got to see a skunk, besides in the cartoons.

shantell dear - not to worrie. :hug:  Renae is right you need to try and use moth balls or ammonia to get that skunk to leave. I think that skunk may be sick or hurt. They are not usually aggressive like that. Not like that anyway. That is bad! Try moth balls or ammonia and if that does not work you may not to think about other means.

Marie -

you are great photographer !!

Thank you Marie. I am just glad some turned out. My hand was shaking pretty bad for the first 10 picture or so.  bear_grin I was a little nervous being that close. But, I got use to it and was able to get my hands steady.

ok update on skunk-
We did have another one show up last night, a grown one. I heard this "screaming" sound outside and went to look and sure enough a big skunk was there and the little one was "screaming" I have never heard a skunk scream before. It was so sad to listen too. I don't think I much like it either. It is funny, I wanted to go out and pertect the little guy. But no - I have more sence than to get in between two skunks.  :crackup:  :crackup:
It did not last long, the big one walked away and the little one went back to his/her business. All the cats were gone when the big skunks was there, but came back when the big skunk was gone.
I think that this little skunk has been around the cats for some time now.
well I hope you enjoy the new pictures. He/she is not wet tonight, so he/she looks a lot prettier.

hugs all kassie

catskunk7a2.jpg

skunk5a.jpg

skunk10a.jpg

skunk12a.jpg

skunk13b.jpg

skunk17a.jpg

skunk11a.jpg

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I actually did some reading and asking around and they ARE VERY AGRESSIVE.  They will attack another animal if it gets the way of their FOOD.   He's actually gotten quite chubby since he first started coming around.  This one didn't start out being agressive at all but rather easily startled and would scurry away.  It's just slowly gotten more and more aggressive.  They are definitely cute and I can see why someone would go..."here kitty kitty kitty" if they didn't know better.  I keep waiting for babies to show up...EEGADS!! 

Gonna try the moth bolls or ammonia...although I've read mixed reviews on that.  They say the only way to really get rid of them is to use fox urine which you can buy...can you imagine.  ICK!!!

The cats are smart...they know to stay away from them.  Our cat was a city slicker when we brought him here and he figured it out the first night to stay clear.   Even the raccoons steer clear of them.

Hugs,
Have fun...call me if you need tomato juice in a hurry bear_original bear_original

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

awwwww! Skoonk looks much better dry & fluffed!
I'm impressed s/he managed to drive off the bigger one!

Kassie.
Your skunk has food on its head. roflmao

Oregon

shantell - thank you - I have been around different wild animals all my life. I know my limitations and respect their's.  Really no need to be concerned.  bear_original 

Renae - stomp those little hind feet -  :crackup:  :crackup: that is funny!   :crackup:  :crackup:

kim -

Your skunk has food on its head.

too fuuny! I saw that. It cracked me up. I kept calling him/her "little Stinky Sweety Piggy" He/she had a really good dinner that night.

I had another photo shoot last night between horse sitting and "Douple Douple mint Skunk" LOL
Sorry about the view on the one little guy but he/she would not turn arounded.

skunktwo.jpg

hugs kassie

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Thanks for sharing your pics.  I've never seen a skunk that close before and am surprised at their claws and teeth.  I hope the skunks don't spray you because then we'll have to call you Stinkie!   :crackup:

Board footer