Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I was on my way to the grocery store this afternoon, driving down a winding country road on a sunny afternoon. In front of me was a big old 50's car - red convertible as big as a boat with a white leather interior. The antique registered license plate read 'ABBY'. Being a romantic I thought what fun that would be, going for a ride with my hubby & dog with the top down.

I noticed the driver was an older gent with balding head and cigar in hand. I saw something fuzzy poking above the top of the passenger's seat. I thought it was a little old lady, his wife Abby, sitting next to him. Then realized it wasn't human. It was a teddy bear! A big golden tan teddy riding along with this man in his antique convertible. I spent the next 8 miles finding this rather curious while the man puffed on his cigar and breezed along the winding road past the lake, woods and old farm houses, waving at a a few folks along the way.

As we approached the store we both turned our signals on to pull into the parking lot. We parked a row apart. As he walked past my SUV he looked at my license plate which reads 'BEARHUG', smiled at me and said "I've been trying to read that in my rear view mirror." I told him how bear hugs were something my grandpa always gave me and that I love teddy bears. I then asked about the bear riding along with him.

"That's my wife's bear", he said. "Won it for her at the county fair many years ago. She loved that thing! We used to go for rides in that car on Sundays with the bear strapped in the back seat! Never did have any kids. She's gone now but the bear still rides with me. Makes it like she's right there enjoyin' the ride."

I told him what a wonderful husband he was and that I was sorry his wife is gone. He said he never thought he'd talk to a teddy bear but that bear and he had many conversations and it made him feel close to Abby having that bear around.

We chatted another moment, this sweet old man and I. Then he gave me a hug, thanked me for listening and got back in his big old 50's red convertible and drove away.

My next bear will be a big tan bear with a red bow the color of that car and named Abby.

As you all make your next bear I hope you'll consider what that bear could possibly mean to someone 50 years from now!

Bear Hugs,
Daphne

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Awwww...what a gorgeous story Daph...you made me cry!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh what a sweet story Daphne,
It is sweeter than any  romantic movie,
and sweeter than any story I have in my
real life.....!

I think ABBY is watching his hubby and
bear from above with big smile in her
face.
If I'm going to make a big bear next, I will
name her *ABBY* too, with big red bow.

Thank you for sharing sweet story :)
I have tears in my eyes now.  ;)
Hug Hug to you and ABBY's hubby and
everyone in here, Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow . . . Daphne, that is a wonderful teddy bear story - and it's TRUE!!!  Thanks SO much for sharing with us . . . what a tearjerker!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, it moved me so much I'm sharing it with my husband, Tim, who has a soft spot for sentiment and old people.  The combination will be deadly.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

What a wonderful story...I can just see that old man with  his bear breezing along, happy you meeting him , you probably will never forget that experience...Winney

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh Daph, what a wonderful touching story!!  What a lovely experience for the both of you!

Thanks for sharing it with us!
Danni

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Daphne I've just read your wonderful story and my do you paint it well with words. As I was reading I could see everything,the beautiful countryside,the old red 1950 convertible with it's leather seats, the old man and the beautiful golden tan teddy.Wow! I just loved the story and I feel that the mans wife is looking over him and I bet she has a big smile on her face.

Jane

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Thanks for sharing your special moment. Its cold and rainy here ( after some glorious weather) and I feel bear_sad down. Now I am going to think of your post, wind in the hair, smiles and so much luuuuve!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shelli - Thank God for sentimental ol' fools like Tim and my hubby and this old man!

Winney - I'll certainly never forget it!!!

An experience like that is so humbling. Simple, down to earth good souls with hearts of gold often touch us the deepest. There I was trying to rush to get errands done with my head reeling about all the things that worry me these days and here's this man who's taken the time out to be close to the one he loves and enjoy the day. God sure has His way of getting His point across!

Hugs to you all!
Daphne

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Daph! I had many tears over your story. It is wonderful. We should all appreciate what we can do and that we can share our creations with others. Beautiful story. Should be in a teddy magazine for all to enjoy!

Hugs Louise

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

OH, yes!  Do submit it to TB&F or TBR.  I'd be willing to bet they could find column space for such a wonderful tale.

And you DID paint it beautifully with words; the visuals just popped right in front of my eyes.

Let us know how this goes...

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

AHHHH.... tears falling here too!  What a lovely story-- thanks for sharing.

Kim Basta
Wild THyme Originals

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

That is about the sweetest thing.. *teary eyed*  When my grandfather passed away, my grandmother carried around a picture of my grandfather and would, on occasion talk to it... They were together many years and married over 50 years.... She missed him dearly but now they are in heaven together... oh geez, now I am really crying.....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Louise & Shelli - I had never thought of submitting it.

I was wishing I had my camera as I drove down the road behind Abby's husband... would have made a neat picture!

I'll look into submitting this... thanks for the suggestion!

Daphne

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Daphne - what a wonderful story and so well told.  How lucky you both stopped at the same place so your conversation could take place.  And how lucky for it to happen to a person so capable of telling the story in a way that could touch our hearts.  Some times I believe there are angels guiding us.

Board footer