Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Are bear sales just down in general?  I avoid Ebay like the plague because well...I don't want to be tempted.  bear_original bear_original So, I really don't know what's going on there.  It seems from our own Bears & Friends section that sales are  happening with all the little red SOLD's.   :clap:   :clap:

I was doing fairly consistent for a couple months and now I can't even give them away.  I'm beginning to take it personal although I'm trying hard not to.

Hugs,

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Hi Shantell!  I have noticed this too.  Sales have been a bit slow for me the last couple of weeks as well.  I know we both use BearPile......I don't use eBay anymore either.  Maybe visits to BearPile are down right now?  Maybe our regular collectors have spent all their $$$ on our bears and we need to give them time to save up again? bear_grin  :crackup:   I'm not too worried at this point.  I bet it will pick up again soon! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Sorry girls - I'm the complete opposite.  I am completly snowed under with orders.  I'm the busiest that I have ever been!  My bears are starting to pick up again on eBay also.

I have a feeling my article could have something to do with it - but I'm not entirely sure!

It'll pick up for you both again, my orders and sales seem to be slow for awhile then pick up - just at the moment I'm the busiest I have ever been and I'm starting to pull my hair out with stress LOL!!!

Danni

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Good for you Danni!! :clap:  :clap: That's wonderful!! :hug:  :hug:

Don't most artists have a slower period every so often?  In the short time I've been selling my bears, I've noticed there are times I can barely keep up, and then times when it slows down quite a bit.  I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. bear_grin   (like I said, maybe my collectors have spent all their $$ and need time to recoup!! :crackup: )

:hug:
Tracy

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Danni, so glad to hear that you are snowed under with orders. It was a great article so there is no wonder.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Shantell & Tracey, maybe it's just where your selling. I use ebay as well, and bussiness is booming.
Maybe it's worth your while giving ebay a shot now and see what happens.

sarahjane Brisbane

I have been watching ebay for a while now trying to get up the courage to have another try at selling again, and I had noticed that it seems to be getting busier again.....is this right or is it busy for only a few of you?

Shantelle and Tracy I'm sure it will pick up again soon just keep doing what you are doing  :hug:

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Comon girls... it's always been this way...up one day, down the next...that's life! If you're enjoying making bears, what the heck.
Be happy and enjoy what you're doing and it will show in your work...and you'll find that sales will soon pick up again.
Keep smilin'
Bear_with_b.gif
Big beary hugs,
Sandi

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Tracy wrote:

(like I said, maybe my collectors have spent all their $$ and need time to recoup!! :crackup: )
Tracy

Tracy.... I think that's probably exactly what it is.... that happens with me sometimes too.  It is an up and down rollercoaster sometimes!  Hang in there!   :hug:  bear_wub

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I would highly recommend listing on ebay.(even though I havent done this my self yet)
It is the end of the financial year here in Australia. So bear makers!!!!!! give aussies something to spend their tax refund on!!!!!!!!! bear_grin
Wendy bear_thumb

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Awe Shantell Don't Take it personal.  Its not you or your bears.  I haven't bought a bear in ages and I wont insult you by asking for a cheaper price. bear_wub  :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Well, I've had my last THREE bears not sell on ebay and have been feeling a bit discouraged again - felt that things were looking up until this, with a number of new bidders on  my bears and the last one before these three did very well. I thought I had developed quite a good following on ebay in the  4 years that I have been selling there, but suddenly it seems I'm getting very few bids from my previous customers. The one thing I find with ebay is that you just never know what is going to happen - just when you think you have it figured out you get thrown for a loop! I keep experimenting with different methods  - low starts/ no reserve, high starts/no reserve, low starts/reserve, high starts/reserve, BIN, and have yet to figure what is best! Sometimes I think I should just start them all at $1 with no reserve and then at least they would sell - LOL! - and likely I'd be making someone pretty happy!  bear_grin
I guess about all we can do is just keep plugging away and keep our chins up through all the ups and downs!
Bear hugs, Edie
P.S. - I've been selling bears for almost 20 years now so maybe my problem is every one and his dog already has enough of my bears!  bear_grin

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Well..for what it's worth I think that it comes in waves....sometimes up, sometimes down..sometimes you're flavour of the month....sometimes it feels like you're invisible. I take it personally too...because the bears are little bits of me...and when no-one wants them I feel unwanted...It's rather like being in the music business...sometimes you're in the charts...sometimes not!!!

I am fortunate, Shantell, and I pinch myself every day that people do seem to want my bears...but, people are fickle as anything..and I never, ever believe it's real...because it's turbulent in business...any business.

I have been diappointed on ebay..and Edie I think that people just chop and change...they start collecting someone elses work...I have had highs too when bears have done well...when I had a write up a few years ago I got alot of attention and orders....and 3 years on I still worry that it could all vaporize....so easily.

I think generally trade is down all over..the salon is busy....but I could be busier..and we are probably one of the busiest salons in the city....My husband who is a builder is busy...but could be busier...

There are folks who are doing well....but ebay is a complete enigma to me...the trick..I think through watching other auctions is getting a following of regular bidders...and I am inconsistent posting on ebay...so I can't expect more than I get.

I do think generally we are in a slump..and it's a case of bobbing along until the next wave comes along...and while I can say I am busy with my bears I know in my heart of hearts that it's a case of 'could do better' at the moment..

Hudson, Ohio
edie wrote:

P.S. - I've been selling bears for almost 20 years now so maybe my problem is every one and his dog already has enough of my bears!  :lol:

Edie... the DOG part makes me just laugh when taken literally.... I can imagine some pampered pooch being tucked into a nice little bed gently holding one of your wee ones in his paws....   bear_wub  bear_smile  bear_wub   Seriously though.... I'm SURE that is not the case! When I talk bears with newer mini collectors, and they ask me if I was a collector, whose minis I would personally want in my collection.... I ALWAYS mention your name!  I hope that I am still sewing away 20 years from now!  :pray:  :pray:  :pray:

Kim Basta
Widl Thyme Originals

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK
whiteforestbears wrote:

I think that ebay has picked up lately, after the tax time slowdown maybe?  I am not listing this week (usually I have a new up on every Sunday) as next weekend is the 4th of July holiday weekend, and the last time I had a bear end on a holiday weekend it didn't do as well

Thanks for the reminder, Erin! I've found the same kind of thing - holiday weekends tend to be a bit quieter on eBay. And although I try to end my auctions on a Sunday evening, I think I'll do something different this week.... :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Comon girls... it's always been this way...up one day, down the next...that's life! If you're enjoying making bears, what the heck.
Be happy and enjoy what you're doing and it will show in your work...and you'll find that sales will soon pick up again.
Keep smilin'

Big beary hugs,
Sandi

Well said Sandi!

My hubby spend time on e-bay last night....he said it did seem to him that overall things are sluggish-in both artist bears as well as the car parts area where he tends to hover.

but i had a thought about recessions and inflation and sluggish sales....it is an opportunity to try new things, get more innovative, develope a new technique, that sort of thing.

Except for our Love Dani!  Honey I am tickeled pink you are snowed under!

But like Sandi said, up and down!!!!  Life is kind of like a rollercoaster.....its the tough turns that get me....

P.S. - I've been selling bears for almost 20 years now so maybe my problem is every one and his dog already has enough of my bears!

How wonderful a word picture this statement made Edie....I love the idea.  I have seen my cats curled up around a teddy on the bed before....fortunetly it was my CRAZY Vermont Teddy bear and not one of the specail and precious Artist bears!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks all for your insight.  I was just curious how the general market appeared to be.  As I mentioned I really do try to avoid Ebay in terms of looking because well....my will power would be dangerously compromised.

I'm not worried about selling my little ones...if nothing else I'll have a nice little collection of Apple Dumpling Bears...someone out there will be green with envy bear_original bear_original

HA

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Shantell.
     I only sell on Ebay, except for the occasional show I participate in for Bearpaths.  Ebay is definitely like a yo yo - up and down depending on the time of year.  The one thing I noticed is that my bears do better during the week and I now try not to have them run on the weekend, if I can help it.  I know some of my bidders only have the intenet at work and maybe some others can only bid while hubby isn't around? LOL!

Jenny mentioned having a following of regular bidders, and that does help, but sometimes it can put other bidders off, if they see someone bidding that they know will go high.  I guess what I'm saying, is that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to Ebay or at least none that I've been able to figure out LOL!. 

I do think the summer months are slower - people are on holiday and have kids home and have to pay for activities etc.  Don't get too discouraged, Shantell - it will pick up again.

hugs,

Brenda

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

This time of year in the UK, familie are thinking about paying for their annual holidays, so cash is tighter and doesn't get spent so readily on personal luxuries ...

Edie I love your bears and I don't own any yet so I am looking forward to your bears in the future :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Thanks Dilu and Kim - you really made me laugh with your literal interpretation and visual image of "everyone and his dog having enough of my bears"!!! My daughter's cat used to run off with the wee bears I was working on whenever my back was turned so I can sure relate, Dilu!

Dilu said

it is an opportunity to try new things, get more innovative, develope a new technique, that sort of thing.

Great advice Dilu - I've just been thinking the same thing - I'm not a quitter so maybe I just need to go in a new direction and try some more creative things that I think about from time to time and then just never get around to doing. I can't imagine not making bears so maybe rather than trying to get lots done to keep a steady inventory on ebay I'll spend some time trying new ideas. Besides it'll take me another 20 years of sewing to get through all my fabric - so I can't quit - although I imagine I could find someone to take it off my hands - right, Kim???

Shantell said

I was doing fairly consistent for a couple months and now I can't even give them away.  I'm beginning to take it personal although I'm trying hard not to.

Hopefully everyone is right, Shantelle, that it is just the summer season and things will pick up again for you soon. Great idea to build up a nice collection - then when things start to pick up again you'll be all ready for it!  :lol:

Thanks Jenn - that brightens my day - and is a good reminder for us too that there are new collectors coming along all the time who might want one of our bears someday! I am also very greatful to several collectors who buy from me regularily (even though they have a lot of my bears now!) - so I really have no reason to let a slump on ebay get to me!
Bear hugs, Edie

Hudson, Ohio
edie wrote:

Besides it'll take me another 20 years of sewing to get through all my fabric - so I can't quit - although I imagine I could find someone to take it off my hands - right, Kim???
Bear hugs, Edie

Edie... if you are anything like me... you'll just keep on buying MORE fabric for the next 20 years anyway!   bear_wub  bear_smile
For those who might not know... I think I did "threaten" to come over to Edie's and rifle through her stash!   bear_innocent  bear_innocent  bear_innocent

Please, please, please NO ONE needs to worry about the occassional eBay slump... it happens, and it is never an indication of the quality or value of one's teddies!

Kim Basta
Widl Thyme Originals

Edie, I am a collector but I have also been trying My hand as an artist so we will see where that goes.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Kim wrote

When I talk bears with newer mini collectors, and they ask me if I was a collector, whose minis I would personally want in my collection.... I ALWAYS mention your name!

Kim, I can't believe I forgot to say how nice you are to do this!!! I appreciate that so much and am honoured that you like my bears! Forgive me for not saying so in the last post!
Bear hugs, Edie

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Kim wrote

Edie... if you are anything like me... you'll just keep on buying MORE fabric for the next 20 years anyway!

I don't doubt you are right, Kim! bear_grin In fact I just bought some really neat vintage fabric last week when I was in town at a second hand shop - really nice stuff and not previously used, but fabric lengths. It is kind of like the vintage long pile with the grid backing but softer and not as "hairy" looking. It is off white so am going to experiment and see if it will take dye and then I can really have fun with it.
Sometimes all it takes is a new piece of fabric to get me all excited about bear making again and full of new ideas!
Bear hugs, Edie

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Jenn wrote

Edie, I am a collector but I have also been trying My hand as an artist so we will see where that goes.

Oh good for you Jenn! I am also a collector as well as a maker (although I mostly collect vintage bears now) and both are equally fun! You will certainly be able to find any help you need with your bear making here on TT - sure wish I had access to something like this with all the information and supportive people when I first started - and really appreciate having it now!
Bear hugs, Edie

Pages:

Board footer