Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

We had a bit of excitement over the weekend......ended up taking up almost my entire Saturday dealing with this one! bear_wacko

I woke up later than usual that morning.......for once decided I was going to sleep in, no matter what!! bear_happy This is what I got for my extra sleepy time. :doh:   I heard absolutely nothing at all in the house (still can't figure out how), and the moment I stepped outside to do chores heard a strange nickering that my girls don't usually make.  Looked around the corner of the house, and there was a strange horse in the lot next to the girls.  A beautiful, black and white paint STUD horse!! bear_shocked  bear_shocked

Unfortunately, Zu (my gray mare) is very um......'breedable' at the moment. bear_whistle She was not playing hard to get, but in fact had herself backed right up to one of the corral panels between them. bear_shocked  bear_shocked   Kip (found out late that's the visitor's name) was getting ready to come up over the corral panel, as he must have already done since it was bent down to nearly half its original height.  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  So, I go running over there, hollering at the top of my lungs to break up them up.

I got Zu's attention at least, and she moved, but Kip was still going nuts in the next pen and I'm scared he's going to just hop that corral panel and actually get in with us.  So....holler at Darren to get my short whip (he's standing in the back yard with his mouth hanging open in shock.....not a country boy and has never seen a stud horse before, especially not one 'in the mood', huffing and snorting with the neck arched, and well, um....in the mood bear_whistle ) So, Darren gets me my whip which I crack half a dozen times to get Kip off the fence and herd the girls into their stalls.  Okay, good.....got them locked in and out of sight.  Out of sight is not out of mind however.  Kip and the girls are calling back and forth to each other and he's running around like a fool, pacing the fence, and trying to find a way to them.  AND, he's in the lot next to the girls' that we aren't using right now due to dirt sinking where we had pipe put into the barn last fall.  NOT safe......I'm scared to death this horse will break a leg as he naturally keeps stepping right into one of the holes and stumbling each and every time. bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_sad Plus, the corral panel he demolished has an upright support in the middle of it that is still standing straight up with a very, very sharp edge.  Hollered at Darren again to get the duck tape to wrap it before he impales himself on it (miracle he hadn't already) or scratches out an eye.  Then I had fun keeping him off of me while I did the wrapping with the tape.  I did not trust this horse ONE BIT!!  #1: He's a stud horse, and I'm not an experienced stud handler.  #2: I don't know this horse.  #3: HE'S A STUD HORSE!!! bear_shocked  bear_shocked

Kip finally started settling down a bit, so I managed to sneak in there and get something over the worst hole.  Now I was able to start trying to locate his owners.  I thought he belonged to the people who live around the section to the south of us, so looked up their number.   No answer.  Left a message and waited a while.  No call back.  Called again, still no answer.  So hopped in the van and went over there.  Not a soul around.  Well......what to do?  I had a revelation.  My mom knows an older lady in town who's son is good friends with these people.  Called mom for Carol's phone number.  Called Carol for her son's number.  Got hold of him, and find out my neighbors are away in Ohio until the end of this week.  Oh crap!! bear_sad   The son does know who is doing chores for them though, and will try to find them for me.  They know horses he says.  Thank you Lord!!  So, wait around for him to call back.  He does 20 minutes later.  He can't find them and left messages for them to call him back.  Well, I ask him to come over and help me with getting these horses better situated......it's not safe for Kip where he is and it's rapidly getting very hot in the barn where my poor babies are locked in bear_sad .  The hubby is scared to go in much to help, and it's more than a one person job.  So, wait another 30 minutes for Carol's son, Tim, to get here.

Tim arrives, and we let my horses out of the barn, which made Kip very happy indeed.  Now he's worked up again.  Goody!! bear_wacko I herd my girls out in their pasture, which is separated from their lot by two gates and a small area in between, thinking we can hopefully get Kip into their lot by the barn.  Doesn't work as the girls are too far from the small side gate I need him to come through, and he has tunnel vision at the moment...MARES!! bear_wacko  And Zu starts making herself available again next to the fence, he's about to go over that one too.  Aack!! bear_shocked     So....break it up again, herd the girls into the small area between the gates and try again to lure Kip in the lot where I want him.  Takes a few minutes to get his attention, and I had to (*shudder*) stand on his side of the fence to get his attention at all! (I had my short whip with me just in case)  Finally, he figures it out and trots himself right through the gate.  Locked him in.......Yippee!!........then ran down, climbed the fence with the girls and herded them back through the second gate into the pasture while Tim shuts and locks the gates behind them.  Whew!!  Finally got them separated and where they need to be! :dance:   Kip in the meantime is going nuts in the lot and looking for a way out and to the girls.  Thankfully, everything holds and he's stays in there. bear_grin

Tim goes off then in physical search of the people caring for my neighbors animals while they're away.  He finds the husband, who goes over with Tim to see how Kip got out and to fix the problem.  Tim lets me know that as soon as they get Kip's pen fixed up, the caretakers will be over to collect him.  I'm thinking, "Oh boy, how are they going to get that fence where Kip will stay in it?"  I saw the fencing when I went over there earlier, and it's definitely not geared to containing a stud!  I found out later that they were half way done with redoing his fencing and had to leave for their trip to Ohio.  He pushed aside a fence section and got out that way. 

Well, the caretakers put up electric fencing around the half of his pen with the new fencing, hoping that will keep him in.  They showed up here around 5pm to get him.  The wife is going to handle him, and no problem catching him and leading him out to the front yard.  He's wound up, but cooperating fine.  Well, she says she's going to ride him back and work some of the sass out of him.  He doesn't want to stand still to be saddled and is hopping around like a fool, calling to my girls.  Then, to my horror, she pulls out a good sized stick and starts beating him on the side of his head and his nose to try to make him mind. bear_cry  bear_cry   Screaming at him the entire time.  I couldn't believe it....this woman supposedly knows horses.  Sure, he's not minding her, but he's not acting aggressive either, so I don't see why it's necessary to hit him.  Evidently she thinks pain will make him do what she wants. bear_cry  bear_cry  As she's doing this, she's saying something about wishing she could have found her chain lead.  This is a lead rope with a chain at the end that hooks to the halter that can be used over the top of a horse's nose to give the handler more control.  Well, I have one of those, so run to get it for her so she will stop hitting this horse.  She got it on him, and it did the trick.  She got him saddled and bridled, but never could get on him.  I don't think this horse has had much saddle training yet, and really he had his mind on other things so how could she expect him to just turn that off and pay attention to her working with him? bear_angry  They ended up taking him home with her sitting in the back of her husband's truck and holding the lead. 

Apparently, the electric fencing has worked since Kip hasn't shown up again yet.  I keep looking for him!  I know if he does get out again, he will be straight back over here.  He won't forget my girls are here!! :crackup:

He did manage to destroy one corral panel, which will cost close to $80 to replace, but it could have been much worse and at least no one was hurt.  I told the caretakers I didn't want Kip's owners to worry about replacing it.  They don't have much money and I would rather see them use it to finish their own fencing at home. 

I noticed later that Kip had 'tiptoed' through one of my flower beds in the back yard before finding his way through the barn and next to the girls.  Most of the mashed plants should come back, but a few have been completedly murdered. bear_sad   Kip was a busy boy, leaving his "cloven" hoof marks all over my yard and flowers! bear_sad

On a good note, I did find out Kip is not fertile.  He is what is called a 'proud cut' horse.  For any who don't know, this is a horse with one testicle that didn't drop as it should have and is still in the abdomen.  He was gelded for the other one, but the internal one is still there, so he is essentially a sterile stallion.  All the testosterone and instincts are there, but no babies will be had.  I'm happy about that because I really do not want any foals right now.  It's a lot of work and expense that I'm just not wanting at this time.  There is a very slim chance he could have gotten Zu with foal, but it's highly unlikely.  And yes, he did manage to breed her through/over the bent corral panel.  I won't give details, but the evidence was obvious. bear_wacko  Where there's a will, there's a way!! bear_grin

I sincerely pray that my neighbors will sell this horse and find another better suited for them.  They are not experienced horse people, and that is what Kip requires.  He's not for ANYONE else.  I am sure they were not told that he is a proud cut, either that or they didn't understand what it entailed.  And poor Kip would be much happier with people who understand him and can handle him without abuse.  I know his owners would never beat him, but they did put him in the care of friends who did.  Plus, this woman says she is planning to take him home later and work with him for his owners.  Poor boy!! bear_cry  My cousin's fiancee is interested in buying Kip as he wants one just like him.....says his own horse is getting too timid for his tastes! bear_wacko  Crazy man!! bear_rolleyes   Anyway, I passed that information on and am praying they take him up on the offer.

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Tracy,

A proud cut horse is much more dangerous than a stud!   He can be helped by a surgical procedure which involves putting the horse completely out so they can remove the retained testical ... a  more expensive but effect way to turn a dangerous horse into the quiet gelding he should be.   The U. of I. in Champaign here in Illinois does this.

So glad you were not hurt in  all the excitement.

Wanda

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Wow Tracy,
Just reading of your experience exhausted me!  Glad all is well now.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Well it sounds like you have had a very eventful weekend.  I think this woman who was handling (or mishandling) this horse had better watch her back.  When this horse has had enough, he may just decide to get revenge.  I've seen it happen.  Maybe she should contact a "real" horse trainer for lessons, i.e. Monty Roberts, John Lyons, Chris Cox etc.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Yet, another reason I'm afraid of horses!!!!   I'm frightened sitting here clear across the country!!!
bear_cry   bear_cry   bear_cry

Iowa
Website

Oh Shantell! :hug:  :hug:   I don't mean to reinforce your fear of horses.  This was NOT a normal situation at all.  Try to remember that sweet pea. :hug:  :hug: And if there is ever a horse I'm afraid of, it's one like this........that's self-preservation! bear_grin

Millie--I agree whole-heartedly!  I think she was really afraid of him, and tried to cover that and beat him to take control of the situation.  Not the way to go about things at ALL!  If she continues, he's going to turn on her and/or become a very confused, vicious horse.  Not cool! bear_angry

Cindy--It exhausted me too!  Mentally and physically.  I ended up sleeping late Sunday as well bear_tongue ........

Wanda--I'm curious to know how a proud cut horse is more dangerous than a stud?  I always classed them as just as dangerous as a stud.  Tell me, tell me, please! bear_wub   And here I was in the same pen as that big, beautiful, berserk animal......YIKES!  I was exceedingly careful though, and I'm not unsavvy around horses...I just don't handle studs.....EVER.  I have no desire to get hurt......especially by someone elses horse that doesn't belong here!

I have been told about the procedure to get that other testicle.  I know the family that owns him could never afford it. bear_sad I've also heard that sometimes the horse doesn't survive it in the end, due to the high risk of infection usually.  And it depends on exactly where the testicle is sitting in the abdomen.  Anyway, these people won't be able to have it done, even it they can be made to see it is necessary.  Unfortunately, they are not experienced enough to handle this, nor have they listened yet when told by other horse people they need to sell Kip or have this taken care of.  (The horse beater's husband told me this last night when I called them about my cousin's fiancee being interested in the horse) I was also told the owners have gotten used to Kip's behavior and are not scared of him at all.  Well, the no fear has probably saved their bacon as he would have picked up on that and possibly hurt one of them.  Plus, he always gets his own way with them and there hasn't been any confrontation yet.  An accident waiting to happen bear_cry  bear_cry !

I am just praying he stays home now and doesn't come visiting again.  I do have two kids that could be outside if Kip shows up again.  Not a good scenario........it worries me! bear_cry  bear_cry

Iowa
Website

Hi Renae!  No I really didn't get to enjoy the show! bear_grin  bear_tongue   Yikes!! bear_shocked   

that woman shouldn't be allowed any where near him

I totally agree.  And the owners probably think she knows her stuff.  Bad, bad, bad!!  My other mare, Amber, was abused early in life by a trainer that was supposed to help her advance in the show circuit as she had a very good start and was doing well.  By the time the couple who owned found out what was happening (she was with the trainer for 2 weeks) the damage was done.  My poor mare went through most of her life scared to death of people, therefore hard to work with for anything, and subjected to further mistreatment.  When I got her, it took me six long months of slowly and carefully building her trust to even be able to touch her without her trembling all over.  I really, really hate trainers that do that! bear_angry  bear_angry No animal should EVER be treated this way! bear_angry

It sounds like your nieghbors need an education.

I think that's most of the problem!  Unfortunately, they aren't open to listening to anyone.  Probably won't be until someone gets hurt. bear_sad

And YES.......the hubby was traumatized! bear_cry   He was scared for me and stood watching from the back yard in horror. 

I'm so sorry you were hurt in a situation with a stallion/mares. bear_cry   They can be very dangerous, although beautiful, animals, especially without proper training, etc.  That's why I don't have one or never tried to learn to handle one.  It's not worth it to me........and I'm too big a chicken for that anyway! bear_grin

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Tracy,

A proud cut horse is more dangerous as shown by your excitement this weekend.  People treat them as a "gelding" and they are not.  Someone can really get hurt and usually it the ones who do not know about the situation. 

A stallion knows that he is put on this earth for one reason only and nothing or anyone can stand in his way.  Only professionals should handle a horse like that.   I  have had horses all my life and there's no way I would attempt to handle Kip until he has had some serious surgery.

Hugs,

Wanda

Iowa
Website

Thanks Wanda! :hug:  :hug:  I thought maybe that's what you were talking about, but wasn't sure.  I'm shivering sitting here and thinking, "OMG, I was in with that horse!"  Of course, I would have done it regardless to protect my girls.  The main thing I kept thinking at the time was not to become a target in any way and not to start any confrontation with him.  It worked......that time. 

If he comes again, I wonder if I should contact our sheriff's office?  I hate to do that, but........ bear_sad

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I had something similar happen but with a bull, not a stallion, loose in our front yard. Some of his 'girls' had gotten free and of course he was staying with them. My neighbour, who owns the cows, came over to herd them and I was helping. She tells me - whack 'Fred' with the stick to get him moving along. Yeah, right!  :crackup: I know enough not to get between a bull or stallion and the object of his desire cause they'll go right thru you.

Marion

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh my . . . what a story!!  Glad no one was injured and I sincerely hope Kip will be attended to properly.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

The whole time I was reading your story I was thinking  :pray:  Please!!! Let them all be safe!  :pray:

I fully agree that a rig or proud cut is far more dangerous than a stallion because everyone thinks they are a 'gelding'....wrongo! 

Most of the stallions I was raised around were treated like terrorists....locked in their dark stalls, always kept away from any form of social contact with a  herd....horrid!!!  I've travelled to the UK over the past few years and it does my heart good to see stallions in natural herds with their girls....and its always the girls that keep the stud in his place!  They begin by putting a young stud (usually full of himself) in with some older mares.  Doesn't take long for the girls to 'explain life' to the young stallion, and before long he learns how to interact, and how to be a true gentleman with the ladies.

I do hope in this case that they will sell the horse on before something happens.  Just now Kip is in charge, so they are all happy with that arrangement...but if something should happen where they need to have control....let's just say there'll be one less standing at the end of the discussion  bear_sad   At the end of the day, someone did a disservice to them selling them this horse! bear_angry

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I had a proud cut horse, he was a beautiful show horse but I had strict rules for him and he obeyed them. I was told once that sometimes they are also cut proud (the enitre testicles aren't removed) to give this effect.  Butin the wrong hands yes it would be dangerous

My stallions have always had impeccable manners,  They get excited yes but they always listened to me.  I took no nonsense from them and they were quiet enough the one day when my young daughter escaped into a yard with one.  He walked around with her hanging off the tail.  Gave me quite a fright really not just because that it was a stallion but because she was so little and in with the horses.

I miss my horses  bear_cry

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Minis are lovely aren't they.... a whole different kettle of fish.
Not bad tempered like shetlands but you still have to make them behave otherwise they end up spoilt.

Oh well maybe one day I wil have them again.

Iowa
Website
Bambridge Bears wrote:

I had a proud cut horse, he was a beautiful show horse but I had strict rules for him and he obeyed them. I was told once that sometimes they are also cut proud (the enitre testicles aren't removed) to give this effect.  Butin the wrong hands yes it would be dangerous

My stallions have always had impeccable manners,  They get excited yes but they always listened to me.  I took no nonsense from them and they were quiet enough the one day when my young daughter escaped into a yard with one.  He walked around with her hanging off the tail.  Gave me quite a fright really not just because that it was a stallion but because she was so little and in with the horses.

I miss my horses  bear_cry

And therein lies the problem with Kip.......NO strict rules!!  bear_sad  He's the boss on his turf......a very, very dangerous situation.  I shudder to think what could happen if my neighbors don't sell him. bear_cry   I really do pray they take my cousin's fiancee up on his offer.  Francis has grown up with his parents owning studs and raising and training horses.  He would know just how to give Kip the proper training he needs (without beating him! bear_angry ) and could easily handle him the way he needs to be handled.  Kip would have a wonderful life. 

I'm so sorry you don't have your horses anymore Bronwen. bear_cry  bear_cry I can't imagine being without my girls.

And that must have been a terrible fright to see your small daughter out with the horses!  I would have died on the spot!  Aaak!!! bear_shocked  bear_shocked

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'll echo that Tracy and hope above hope that Kip lands on his feet next to your cousin's fiance!!! 

There's nothing sweeter than a horse looking after a baby...and yes, a well adjusted stallion will look after a human toddler just as soon as his own foals  bear_wub   Its always a hearttouching sight to see!!!   

I often laugh at the 'kid broke' ads to illustrate how 'broke' a horse is.....yes, a horse will sometimes go to extreme meaures to carefully look after a child, lower its towering head, being ultra cautious with where its hooves are, etc......BUT that does NOT mean it will show the same care with a beginning adult!  bear_shocked

Iowa
Website

.....yes, a horse will sometimes go to extreme meaures to carefully look after a child, lower its towering head, being ultra cautious with where its hooves are, etc......BUT that does NOT mean it will show the same care with a beginning adult!

So true Debbie!!  I have seen this so many times.......especially when I worked at the riding stable several years ago.  We had two mares that were the best babysitters with kids--my oldest son had lessons with one when he was four.  Put an adult on them and things were a bit different, although they also seemed to be capable of knowing when they had a complete novice adult on their back versus someone more experienced and would behave accordingly.  I found that particularly interesting!  I would dearly love to have one of those girls now! bear_wub

Board footer