Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

What type of bear could seduce you?  What style of ted really tugs at your heartstrings?  bear_wub

I ask because what I design and what I fall in love with can be two very different styles.  My own designs are usually big bold boys, either traditional in style, or more often than not, with a twinkle in their eye and a chuckle to share ... from time to time a girlie creeps in, but usually she's a bit of a tomboy!  bear_tongue

Recently I've noticed that when I fall head over heels in love, it is nearly always with a completely feminine, elegant, traditional bear.  I love to see cleverly 'antiqued' lady bears.  I admire anyone who can create a realistic looking vintage style bear AND make her feminine too!  That's such an art!  :clap:

I also have enormous respect for those amazing designers who succeed in creating totally contemporary bears too.  Anyone who incorporates stunning detailing, alongside fabulous new techniques and yet manages to retain the inherent charm of a teddy bear, is guaranteed to make me sit up and take notice!  :clap:

So, how about the rest of you?  Do you fall in love with bears similar in style to your own designs, or do you yearn for a particular style of bear which is very different from your own designs?  bear_smile

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

I fall for bears that look really really sad and look really old and worn with lose joints. I also like the big traditional bears but sad bears are my favourite.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

HMMM  I think I prefer female bears now that I look at my collection... most of my collection is soft colors too (as well all know by now, pink is a favorite so whether it is an entirely pink bear or just an accessory, it is top on my list).

I would say that I also go for cutesie bears or creative bears and not realistic ones.  I also like bears with humungo feet bear_original

nettie scotland
Website

For me it has to be vintage bears.I like baldy threadbare ones with wonky faces.I can admire artist bears and see why people collect them but something with a bit of history does it for me.I suppose I do like the originals of the bears I try to make.One day I would love a vintage steiff bear but that may never happen.
Diane xxx

bhbears Bearhaven Bears
Merrickville, Ontario

Well first off he has to be tall I'm about 5 "8"  dark brooding eyes....... Oh you mean bears :crackup:
I'm with Diane, Old and warn and the more traditional the better.  I have a few genuine antiques and I love them sooo much.   Any one who can capture that history and knowing look in a bear I'm a big fan.  Oh and for the man I'm a  hand gal gotta have nice hands bear_grin  bear_grin
Hugs Deborah

Kent
Website
bhbears wrote:

Well first off he has to be tall I'm about 5 "8"  dark brooding eyes....... Oh you mean bears :crackup:
I'm with Diane, Old and warn and the more traditional the better.  I have a few genuine antiques and I love them sooo much.   Any one who can capture that history and knowing look in a bear and I'm a big fan.  Oh and for the man I'm a  hand gal gotta have nice hands bear_grin  bear_grin
Hugs Deborah

Deborah, guess what, I like my men the same as I make my bears ... chunky, with a chuckle and a twinkle in their eye!  bear_grin

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Paula...I hope you're enjoying a sunny day. It's certainly VERY hot here on the South Coast..much too hot to even contemplate picking up a needle pheeeew bear_cool

I know what you mean about falling in love with a design that's a million miles from your own. If I said Gertie Wiggins style you'd know what I mean. Long snouts, kind of a vintage look and the odd piece of clothing. I'm also finding that the anime style is really growing on me too  bear_original

:hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
All Bear wrote:

I ask because what I design and what I fall in love with can be two very different styles.

Same here Paula!  I tend to go for bear very different than what I make.  I love the well-loved look, kind of floppy, wearing old knitted clothes or something like this.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Hi Paula,
There are many bears that I like but I suppose my favourites are older style bears although I do like a lot of artist bears of different styles-sometimes it is hard to pin point what you like but as soon as you see the bear you know whether it's for you.The only bears that I am not too bothered about even though they are lovely are manufacturers bears as they just don't have the personality that artist bears have.
Laurie :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Paula,  bear_flower
I go for the same types of bears I create as well as antique bears.  Though I love the artistry that goes into contemporary bears they just don't wave and wink at me the way traditional bears do. 

Warmest bear hugs, :hug:
Aleta

Kent
Website
Meri Bears (UK) wrote:

Hi Paula...I hope you're enjoying a sunny day. It's certainly VERY hot here on the South Coast..much too hot to even contemplate picking up a needle pheeeew bear_cool

I know what you mean about falling in love with a design that's a million miles from your own. If I said Gertie Wiggins style you'd know what I mean. Long snouts, kind of a vintage look and the odd piece of clothing. I'm also finding that the anime style is really growing on me too  bear_original

:hug:

Hi Kate,  it sure is hot here in Kent today!  I've been trying to work with alpaca ... groan!  I'm about to sew a nose and then I'm giving up putting my feet up for an hour - I'm struggling against the heat today!  bear_cry

Judi, it's good to hear I'm not the only one who is drawn to bears completely different from my own designs! 

Diane, like you I love a bit of history ... there's something very special about owning an elderly bear.  I have a small hug of Chilterns and absolutely love them.  I like that they are British through and through and I love their simple style ... there's something very 'knowing' about them!

Like Laurie, I can't get excited about manufactured bears.  Kim, I love to make pink bears!  It's such an appealing colour.  Sam, sad bears eh?  I think they bring out the maternal instinct in us all!

Aleta, if you love the same type of bears as you create, does that mean you tend to try to keep hold of your own designs?  If I made bears like yours, I'm sure I'd never be able to let them go!

I think the best thing about the variety of teddy bears available these days, is that there really is something for everyone!  bear_original

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Hi Paula,

Interesting question....... This has puzzled me for a while, because the bears I'm always drawn to personally
are completely different from what I make.....strange!!!!..... maybe it stems back to childhood......when
our teddy bears where always traditional, and a little battered and well loved!.

I just love sad, vintage looking artist bears, with antique accessories........even better if they happen to be really tiny miniatures!! .....Having said this,..... I also really admire a maker with true artistry, who can create a bear thats very different, and modern.....with lots of fine detail!!!

Yvonne.  :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Paula,
     I looooove old, battered, antique bears - it's my goal to own just one really nice, old Steiff, but a Bing would do LOL!   I love looking into the face of a realloy old bear and wondering about all the stories is could tell.   I have one Forget-me-not bear  - they do a fabulous job of antiquing their bears.   Funny, though, having said that, sometimes a completely different style will grab me.  I've see a few anime's that I think were brilliant. 

I have always made traditional looking bears, but in the past few months, I've really tried to do more and more antiquing.  It's very challenging, but fun - I also love dyeing my mohair now.

Hugs,

Brenda

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I suppose I go for cute faces ...even though I make cute faced bears myself. I go for forlorn , lost looking souls too...and don't mind if they are old or made to look old...but they just have to have nice faces.

I like Karin de Lorenzos work and would love to own one of her bears some day!!

I don't tend to go for wild and whacky....not my cup of char...and I only go for neutral colours...I wouldn't feel drawn to a brightly coloured bear. I like some of the more subtle colours but on the whole they have to be 'teddy' colours.

clare14 Country Bears
England

I love old bears, the tales they could tell.......   bear_original    I do have a few old bears and draw great inspiration from them, they've such character.

I guess that's why I like making old looking bears, lovely to see so many artists like the old timers too!!   bear_wub

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm with Yvonne....... The style I make and the style I collect are very different.

And like Jenny..... It's that forlorn, lost, I need a hug and a home kind of look that I go for. I love bears with a wobbly head as it makes that forlorn look even more dramatic. But do you think I've ever MADE a wobble necked bear? Nope!

Now, a contemporary big-nosed, big-footed bear can have that sad look and so can an old fashioned, tattered ted. So can my husband!!!  bear_rolleyes

Daphne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

A sad, winsome, baby looking bear gets me every time.  Especially if the artist takes the extra time to have a nice neat nose, a little shading and a something special....

OR

something goofy and totally off the wall...wild color, humongous nose, big feet...and a goofy expression.....I'm a sucker for a goofy expression....

So from the sound of it we all love expression-any expression as long as there is some...the high end manufactured bears still can't quite seem to do that...but the artists?

Well the artists can.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I'm a tart!!!!!!  I orginally started wanted to collect charactery, cotempory styled bears.  Now I LOVE antique type bears, they are so sad looking, and I also love love love real fur bear with chubby cheeks!

See, told you all I'm a tart LOL
Danni

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I am a sucker for expression..... One that wants a hug.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Interesting question Paula!  The bears I buy are almost always completely different to the style I make.  Hmmm not sure that I have a style - I don't make traditional and I don't make ultra modern - just some vague thing in between...so the bears I buy tend to fall at either end of the spectrum.  Usually they are small, as that is what space i have in my house. 

The things that sucker me in are often the meticulous little accessories that the artist has created. I also like ott  girlie girl bears -  the most precious one in my collection is by aussie artist kim mcdonald (www.starickbears.com). Although only about 3 inches high she's equisitely dressed in a silk and tulle ensemble and has the teeny tiniest handmade leather maryjanes in her hand.  I just had to have her! 

On the other side of the equation I also love the european style bears with big schnozzs and big feet.  I have one made by a friend of mine and although I love that style I've never been tempted to make it myself.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I have to say that I tend to make two styles of bears. Undressed rather traditional style bears and big bold bears in very vintage military clothing and accesories. And I am such a softie for a really cute slightly sad face. But to me nothing beats a bear in uniform. It's really funny, but even though I make the same types of bears I love, I rarely keep one of my own.
Sonya

Kent
Website

Seems like those sad eyed, vintage type bears are coming out tops so far!  It's good to hear that some of you are falling for the more contemporary styled bears ... I was beginning to wonder if those of us making more modern bears should be thinking about altering course!  :crackup:

Sonya, I love the idea of bears in uniform!  There's a clever lady here in the UK called Jennie Sharman Cox and she makes wonderful uniformed bears in antique style - I found a few for you to take a peek at:

http://www.bearshops.co.uk/artist14.html#misterbear

nettie scotland
Website

Its funny you should call yours modern Paula, somehow I think of them as proper teddies!!!I know they are not vintage styled but they seem to be the essence of what a teddy was first for,cuddling and taking to bed.It must be their chunky fluffy furryness!!!!.I doubt they will ever be out of favour.
Diane xxx
I see a few have talked about never keeping their own bears.I have decided to take a couple of days off one day soon and make a stick bear big enough to wear an old baby outfit that I wore!!!It was knitted by my mum in pure wool so has yellowed and aged and is just perfect for a bear.I was only five pounds when I was born so it will not have to be that big.Maybe one day I will make one big enough for my daughters baby clothes that I knitted.She was double me!!!!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

My tastes change all the time....one minute I think I really like all the cute, sweet, steal your heart away faces and then I'll see some vintagey, antiquish looking bear and think THAT's what I like.  So I guess for me the whole bear has to just jump out and grab me.  I don't have any one particular style I like.

Today...this moment...I'm drawn to older looking bears...but that will change.

As far as what I like to make...well that's a current struggle for me as well.  I'm actually considering taking a bear-making sabbatical as you will...and just work on techniques, style, etc. and try to find my Apple Dumpling among the bears and not share again until I'm ready to make a new debut...but then I'll probably change my mind on that too.

:crackup:   :crackup:   :crackup:

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Thanks Paula. They certainly are wonderful bears. I have been making a bunch of mid sized bears to get ready for a show, but I sure have an inkling to make a military bear. So I think that is whats next
Sonya

Board footer