Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I know I shouldn't complain, but phew!  It's soooo hot here in Kent!  The weatherman has reported 30 degrees of humid hotness in my corner of the UK.  I'm struggling to work with alpaca this week too .... groan.  How on earth do you ladies living in hotter climes cope with your bear making?  I'm even finding it hard to stay awake!!  bear_grin

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Two words........Air Conditioning...........or three words.......Central Air Conditioning!! bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

It's hot and muggy here too.  Like a normal July in Iowa.  YUK!!  I've never liked it, and I've lived here my entire life. bear_wacko

nettie scotland
Website

We are the same here Paula.I just went upstairs to do my weights and aerobics and ended up lying down and nodding off!!!It was too hot to go outside.It felt just as I remember Greece feeling which is very odd for Scotland.Now we are having a heck of a thunder storm and it is pouring like a monsoon.What weird weather!!!

Diane xxx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

It's yucky and too flippin' hot here in Aylesbury too Paula. I've spent the day spraying myself with cool water and sat down in front of a fan. I've had so much water to drink I think they will believe people are disobeying the hose pipe ban.  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle I've managed to finish sewing a bear and have him half stuffed. The fan makes mohair fluff fly everywhere. It looks as if a good vacuuming is called for.

Hugs to all that are suffering in the heat.

Hugs Jane.  bear_grin

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I agree  - I could not live without Central Air Conditioning.  It used to be only wealthier people had it, but it is becoming a necessity now, rather than a luxury, with the weather patterns changing as they are.  I can handle the heat, just not the humidity.  I have lived next to water of some sort, my entire life and even that will help the heat.  My cats won't even go outside in the daytime, in the summer.  Like most of North America in the summer, people here go from airconditioned homes, to airconditioned cars to airconditioned jobs.  So, Paula, when it gets hot, I too retreat into a lovely air conditioned house!

hugs,

Brenda

Kent
Website

Air conditioning sounds heavenly.  We tend not to have such luxuries in our homes here in the UK, because we're not used to having such hot weather! 

Diane, this weather must be particuarly unusual for you in Scotland?  I remember last time I was there a few years ago in December, I went to Edinburgh and have never been so cold in all my life!

Jane, as you say, it certainly is 'yukky'!!  I reckon the only way to enjoy it is to don a cossie and find a beach ... not so easy when you live inland and have a heap of orders to plough through though ... bear_cry

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Paula and Diane,
     I really do feel badly for you two, with all the unusual heat in the U.K.    I think it's much worse when you are not conditioned to it.  Personally, I could skip over summer entirely - I love spring and fall and even winter, but summer is just too hot.  I think my hubby got A/C for me, as I am unbearable in humidity!! LOL.  Hope it cools off soon.

hugs,

Brenda

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

All hail central air!
Even my dogs are spoiled rotten with it; the one stretching out over the vent like it's her personal cooling device  bear_grin
I'm near Philadelphia where the humidity tends to be the heat talk topic.  When I went to Vegas people said, "oh it's not humid, it's a dry heat, you won't even notice...it's SO much nicer." Bull....heat is heat.  Dry heat just feels like a hair dryer on your face all day!!
Stay cool all..... (my doggies have their "icy-cubies" and air vents for the day!!)
~Chrissi
ebay, ctcatherwoods
coming summer2006...www.CatherWoods.com

Kent
Website

How wierd Melanie!  I live on a small hill (sounds more glamorous than it is!) so would it be terrible of me to pray for a swift downpour of refreshing, cooling rain?   bear_whistle

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Yes...Central AC.  Couldn't live with out it.  Although here is Wisconsin we have a pretty short hot weather time.  Right now it's in the 80's.  The fall is gorgeous here. bear_flower

What I'd like to know is HOW YOU FLORIDIANS COPE?  We went to Florida last summer and the humidity about did me in.  We were ringing wet with sweat.  Going from an AC building to the outside was like hitting a wall.  It is a beautiful state though and I love all the littel lizards running around.  We went to a wedding on the beach which was a stunning site.  We all had ourt shoes off and the chairs we set up in the sand.

How is Southern California this time of year?  I understand it is in the 70's and not humid?
I'll be there in August.  Maybe Erin could give me a climate report??? Anyone else from Southern Cal?

Dilu Posts: 8,574

swimming pool---wet hair---wet t-shirt---fans---air conditioning

p030.gif

o010.gif

n030.gif

n015.gif

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Phew........just come in from my workroom.....so want to carry on, this bears going really well, but its
sooooooo hot,..... there's about as much mohair on me as the bear!!! (been trimming the muzzle. with fan on not a good idea).....I live in Aylesbury too, and Jane my friend it certainly is yucky!!......just heard the
weather forecast...and its the same again tommorrow !!!!!

Diane. and Melanie, hope that rains coming our way!

Hugs
Yvonne.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

could not survive without my pool. Can you say, 110 degrees! in the shade even!
Sonya

nettie scotland
Website

We have got flood warnings now!!!It was lovely to get the rain just not that much.I dont want to go to bed as the house is soooo hot!!!The poor wee lambs have just been taken away from their mums so with the windows wide open it' going to be a noisy night.It is sometimes hard being a veggie in the country.
I hope you all get some of my rain just not quite as much.
Night night Diane xxx

sarahjane Brisbane

We don't have air conditioning and it gets pretty hot and humid here in the summer...... We go with the fans...showers etc... and if it gets too bad we pack up the kids and go to a shopping centre (they have air conditioning)
unfortunately on those really hot days half of Brisbane has the same idea.  bear_grin

clare14 Country Bears
England

I KNOW we mustn't moan, but we do!!    :crackup:  :crackup:    I have managed to sew 3 heads this weekend, in fact what with that and 'the match' disaster last night, thought I was gonna pass out at one point!!   bear_laugh   It's all too much!! 

We are so totally unprepared for weather in the UK, and boy are we known for our weather, it's what we talk about constantly!!  Out of the blue this morning, AND after I'd hung a TON of washing and got all the cushioned chairs out, popped out for 5 minutes, it POURED with rain bear_rolleyes , then was SWELTERING!!!  STRANGE!!!!   bear_wacko

Makes everything such hard going in this weather, we're not used to it over here!!   Keep cool guys!!   bear_wub  bear_wub

Celena Oxford

Yup...Air conditioning a MUST in places with hot weather most of the time.  I am living in Malaysia...either it rains like cats and dogs or hot like oven!  Meanwhile, we are having hot weather here too...a few months back was thunderstorms, heavy rains...terrible lightning...even killed a few people..

I have air conditioners in each rooms, great to cool down BUT BUT BUT...not SO happy to see the electricity bills hee hee... :crackup:

Kent
Website

The first thing I've done this morning, is fling open all the windows and doors.  I'm enjoying the shade at the back of the house while it last (only a few more hours!) and I'm padding round on the ceramic tiled floors with bare feet ... bliss!  It won't last long, so I'd better make the most of it!! 

Another hotty forecast today - even the news reports are telling us to stay out of the sun and drink plenty of water - temps should soar to around 32 degrees today.  I'm starting to wonder if it would be easier to work at night and sleep during the day!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
Paula said 

Jane, as you say, it certainly is 'yukky'!!  I reckon the only way to enjoy it is to don a cossie and find a beach 

Oh Boy I can't stop laughing Paula, me in a cossie! 
:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Now me ribs are hurting again, ouch!

Hugs Jane.  bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Personally, I could skip over summer entirely - I love spring and fall and even winter, but summer is just too hot.

Me too, Brenda!  bear_thumb

I spend 3 hours a day in the park with my dogs, walking under the trees and letting them splash in the streams and ponds.

We don't have central air, but we've got one window unit--problem is, I'd rather sit in front of an open window with the fans on! Fortunately, my basement workroom is cool and dry, so long as the dehimidifier is running!

Many showers and wet hair help, too.

Do you have fans and dehumidifiers in the UK?

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

32 degrees!!  Lovely!!  lol, its freezing here now!!!  it's getting to 3  tonight but we've had some nights of below 2 and it is way too cold!!!  The days are around 15 degrees lately, brrrrrr!!
I have to laugh at 32 being hot Paula lol, sorry and you will probably laugh at my 'freezing' weather...
we had 7 days of 42-45 degrees last summmer...now thats hot!  Our train tracks buckled lol.  YUCK!!!!!
And agree with the others...air con air con and more air con!!!  And don't turn it off till you have icicles hanging from your nose lol
xo Sarah

Kent
Website

Hi Sarah, I think I'd cope better with your 'cold' weather, than I am coping with the hot weather here!   :crackup:

By the way, 15 degrees here is considered a lovely spring day!  We Brits would be wearing t-shirts and thinking summer was just around the corner!  :lol:

Eileen, it is possible to purchase fans and dehumidifiers, but it's not the norm to have them over here.  Our summer is usually so short, we just don't need them for long enough to warrant the investment!  I think most people make do with portable fans ... mind you, they blow the mohair fluff all over the place!  bear_shocked   I've just dragged mine down from the loft, so that I will be able to at least breathe in my bedroom tonight!  bear_tongue

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

haha,  bear_laugh  We are rugged up in wooly coats and scarfs and beanies, and our heater is set to 30 lol so funny!  Okay wanna swap?   bear_happy
xo sarah

Kent
Website

Yes please!!  bear_grin  :crackup:  :crackup:

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Oh boy is it hot today bear_cool  I just can't sew or do anything bear related in this heat. I'm at work at the moment and just had to go and move my car. I nearly screamed when I held the steering wheel   oooouuuchhhh bear_sad

No sign of rain here at all ........ bear_sad

:hug:

Pages:

Board footer