Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pages:
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi all.  You have become such a wonderful support network that I thought maybe I'd ask for a little of it, myself, mid-bear-related-crisis.  As the 'regulars' know I've had an incredibly stressful year, capped off most recently by some weird heart problems which are probably stress-related, but will be pinpointed more precisely in a week or so when I have a stress echocardiogram to map out exactly what my heart is doing when it feels like tennis-shoes-in-the-dryer in my chest!  In the meantime I'm just continuing to work to slow down the pace of my life.

I do realize that all bearmakers have their work resold at one point or another.  It's happened to me many times and it's never before been an issue for me.

But my insecurity moment surrounding reselling comes from the fact that I've had at least three of my pieces on eBay as resells over the last few weeks; one of which isn't selling, and is being repeatedly listed, which to me, anyway, makes my work look like "unwanted stuff."  It's an early piece and the gal who's listing it is actually setting a reserve that's almost twice what she paid for it.  I'm grateful for her confidence but it's not as "evolved" as the pieces which actually fetch that pricepoint!  So I think that's part of the problem.

Anyhoos... I've been scant on eBay over the last year because it's been difficult for me to meet the needs of my retailers (with whom I will no longer work after August, purely for reasons of stress reduction) and my family and eBay -- all three.

So I'm worrying that maybe customers have lost faith in me because it might "appear" that I'm not selling bears anymore if they are only watching eBay.  And that isn't true.  Yeah, I've slowed down... but I'm still churning them out.  At a snail's pace, I mean.

:)

Why am I telling you this?  I dunno.  You can't fix it.  It happens; I get that.  I generally don't worry over it or take it personally. 

I guess I'm just hoping for some of that good ol', TEDDY TALK, gushing support you guys are all so good at giving.  I really don't want my reputation to suffer any hits or loss of standing because life and health issues have forced me to cut back productivity; it took so much hard work to develop the collector base I have and I'm so proud of it.  And I really love bearmaking and hope to keep doing it, profitably, for a long time to come.  I guess I'm worried I've lost some ground in the industry and, of course, it's adding to my stress!

Encouragement, please!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Shelli, you've already answered all of your own questions!  Have faith in yourself girl!   bear_thumb

You've pinpointed exactly why the Ebay bear is failing to hit its reserve, so just sit tight, grit your teeth and wait for the penny to drop with the seller.  Secondary market selling has become a fact of life for everyone in the bear designing business and whether we like it or not, we just have to accept it and make sure, as you most certainly do, that current designs are kept fresh and interesting, to ensure that collectors still feel we are offering them something very special when they buy from us direct.

As you know, I've been around for quite a while and have hung on through thick and thin.  I think that if you love bear making it shows in the development of your work and as long as you work hard to maintain an active profile, collectors continue to look forward to your new offerings.  Don't worry about the need to slow down your life right now, a slow but steady production of beautiful work entices collectors into understanding that something special, is always worth waiting for.  bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shelli

You work stands for itself...as you regulate your work pace, and begin showing more on e-bay, anyone who had concerns will recognize that you are 'back' even though we know you never went away.

A friend of ours in Canada didn't do any e-bay for awhile as she had too many projects gobbeling up her time....she recognized it could take time to get back...I have been watching and her stuff is selling, and she too had been mildly concerned...when people realize you are back on e-bay your stuff will sell too.

re: the health issue:  Guess who decided that he could go back on coffee? c028.gif

Guess who had the tennis balls tumbling around the chest the other night!

Guess who laughed her fool head off-when he wasn't in the room-but was sufficiently concerned are caring when he was?

Then he confesses to having found some dark chocolate and having gobbeled that up too!

Sheesh!!    Just when you think he gets it! e136.gif

It is difficult to make the changes you are making.  And change in and of itself can cause anxiety...

So be kind to yourself  a200.gif Give yourself a hug or fresh flowers or a pedicure....

Take a deep breath and do what you do best-be Shelli-and everything else?

It'll come out in the laundry!

a095.gif

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shelli,
Your reputation will not suffer at all.  Your work speaks volumes about the love and care you put into each bear.  You could take a break for a year and still come back and be a huge hit.  People never get tired of really really great bears...which yours definitely are.

I can understand what you are going through about seeing a couple your bears surface on ebay.  It has happened to me also with my earlier work and it has made me cringe...especially when the seller does nto take proper photographs..... eeek.

Right now with the price of gas being what is it , so many people are in a pinch for cash...and this can translate into the need to resell an artist  bear.  It has nothing to do with you Shelli , or your beautiful bears.  It simply has to do with economics.

Here a hug (((((( :hug:  bear_wub  :hug: )))))))  I know it is not easy with all you are going through right now.

Things will get better.  You take care of yourself! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Shel I am sure that you will get lots of encouragement here in TT. Not selling on EBay, I cannot offer any advice in this field. From a selling point, be it bears or any other commodity, down times happen, when one questions oneself and starts thinking that you are inadequate.

Frankly in your case , you are no where inadequate !!!!!!!, you have driven me mad with your excercises, oh boy did I sit here pulling my hair out trying to do my own avatar and learning abit about Adobe photoshop- all your doing. You helped me personally with my shop banner, something I could not do and you have also been nominated in bear contests !!!! This is not achieved by a person who is weak.

So Shelli, all that is happening is that you are having a speed wobble and the wheels are coming off, lots of mechanics here to put those wheels back on and you will soon be roaring down the road again,ermm maybe you might have to slow down a bit for a while,till  the batteries re charge.

Lynette

Kent
Website

By the way, what's the big thing with Ebay?  I have never seen it as an indicator of a bear maker's status in the industry.  Is that different in the US?  I see Ebay as a useful tool for selling bears that might otherwise take longer to sell, that's all.  I use it now and again, but only very sporadically.  I certainly would hate to base my reputation on it!  bear_tongue   

Nope, as far as I'm concerned, reputation is earned over time and secured by offering a practical spectrum of outlets.  Once achieved, you know it's there when it's also backed up by respectful editorial support, which is of course, invaluable!  Shelli, if I'm not mistaken, you've had some lovely coverage in the mags and so forth - those Potbelly Bears are definitely making their mark! 

Oh and don't forget, summer time is generally a quieter time for sales, as we discussed recently on another thread.  bear_original

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shelli,
     I agree with Paula - your work is fabulous, and you, yourself have stated that the bear on ebay doesn't reflect your current work (although I've just peeked and it's really adorable - I love the seahorse!).  Ignore the bear - don't even look at it.  It's hard to see your work up for re-sale, but it's happened to all of us.
     I think the decision you've made to stop supplying retailers will be good for you.   Your personal life doesn't need the stress, especially now you have medical problems that MUST take presidence. I don't know how you have managed and maybe that's part of the problem - it's too hard to manage it all!  I have only sold on ebay for five years, because it allows me to make whatever I want, at my own pace and keeps my work fresh.  In the past year, I have done a few pieces for Bearpaths seasonal shows, and I've had fun doing that, because I'm in control of how many and what I make, "if" I decide to make any at all.
     I also looked at your last listing and I liked that you told your customers that you have been busy and why.  It wouldn't even hurt to explain you have had some health issues, without going into detail.  It's my experience that ebay customers are a very loyal, caring group of people and will certainly be there for your regular return.  Maybe, if you don't want to put that in your listings, you could do an email listing privately to your customers, just saying you have had health issues but are looking forward to selling more regularly on ebay.  I have always found that my customers like to keep up with what's happening with my life (don't know why LOL!)  I truly think your customers will be there in droves, once you are listing regularly again.
    Chin up, girlie - thinks will work out.  First and foremost, get your heart problem sorted out, and then try and ease back into things at a slower but regular pace.  Your pieces will be sell themselves!

Big hugs  :hug:  :hug:

Brenda

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Shelli, your health must come first. If your bears are a little scarcer they will become even more desirable and prices for the few that turn up may go way up. Have faith in yourself, you are a great girl and your bears are top of the line!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

nettie scotland
Website

Hi Shelli,
I see a lot of resales now on ebay including loads of my own.I think collectors are a bit fearful of some of these partly due to all the fraud that goes on on ebay.I think they also prefer up to date work and not second hand.I have seen quite a few bears by pretty famous makers not selling or not reaching their reserve.I can see why you are worrying but due to all that is going on for you perhaps things are getting a bit out of perspective.I am glad you are not going to be supplying all the retailers soon as I remember how stressful and wearisome that can be.I think you will only have to make one bear and list it on ebay yourself for everything to be alright again.It can be such a dodgy business and so political at times .Please dont start to doubt yourself and keep focused on getting well.There is no need for me to tell you that your bears are absolutely wonderful beautifully made and unique and that your kindness and warmth shows in your work but I just did ha ha.
Hope you feel better soon.
Hugs and a pat on the head Diane xxxx

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Shelli

On the health front - You carry on taking it easy and we all look forward to hearing next week that all is fine and it is just stress related. bear_original

On the bear front a couple of things spring to mind:

Firstly I was flicking through a few old back issues of bear mags this weekend and out of the 5 copies I picked, I found your work in two. Something I could only dream of bear_original  This is why you have retailers knocking at your door and the customer base that any bear maker would envy.

Regarding the resales on ebay, I would agree with Judi and it's to do with economics. Last week, the husbands of two of my closest friends lost their jobs. One in the travel industry and one in Building. Financial insecurity can just hit you out of the blue and people instantly look at where they can save money.

This particular lady who is selling an early piece of yours is actually trying to sell the bear , not on its design but on your name and reputation. I think that speaks volumes but as the artist it would naturally feel disheartning when it isn't selling. You know yourself that at the time you wouldn't have sold it for that amount.

If it makes you feel better, list your next bear on ebay but don't forget to tell everyone what other projects you have been working on and how highly sought after your bears have become.  bear_original

:hug:  :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Well my dear Shelli,
I've been sitting here typing and deleting, typing and deleting.  My thoughts are disjointed and come out sounding like Miss Know-it-All and Miss Been There.  Gosh, there is so much I'd like to say to offer encouragment. 

Balance.  It's all about finding balance.  Easy for me to sit here and say that.  If only I could find the balance myself.  When you're going gung ho on one thing something else suffers.  Being a people pleaser and a perfectionist doesn't help matters either does it? 

Those tennis balls in the dryer thing.....probably high anxiety or too much caffiene.....but ALWAYS good to get checked.  You just never know.  Don't worry about the echo stress test.  Piece of cake.  Just think of it as a baseline test if you've never had one.

As for the eBay thing?  Well, that's wrapped up in the people pleasing/perfectionist thing.....in my humble opinion.  Just know that once you find the balance between family (most important), bears and eBay, your collectors will come running back. 

I'm afraid I have to run....my sister is coming tomorrow, my Mom on Friday and I still have to......oh, never mind.  Let's just say I'm keeping those tennis balls from getting away from me......again.

Warmest, most rah rah cheerleading hugs I can send without falling off the high wire,   :hug:
Aleta

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh Shelli dear,

Did my very public childish temper tantrum not tell you anything about your bears?

Going through my own personal insecurities on many levels right now I understand....more than you know...and more than I'd like to.

I offer no advice...only a huge HUG!!!

Take care of YOU, your boys and just be the Shelli that we all know and love and everything else will all come back to you twofold.

Shantell

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Shelli Dear Friend, first of all I truly hope that you start feeling better soon and can quit worrying about your health. I just know that Doctor is going to give you wonderful news and advice on how to manage this.

Secondly, I am so amazed Girl that you are feeling this way. You could never lose your customer base as they know the heart and soul that goes into your bears. Your bears are truly wonderful as I have told you in the past. Ebay Smebay! That market is and can be so unpredictable. I have noticed a huge slump in prices on Ebay for all artists. I too try never to take it personally but like you it is truly hard to do.

I find it so difficult to imagine that someone who has purchased one of your bears would ever want to resell. But I think money is the object here. I think people may very well purchase inorder to resell at a higher price. Then they can make some cash off of your hard work. Not a fair policy by any means but very human just the same.

Like I say the market on Ebay is very guarded right now and I know that is the reason for low bids. It has nothing to do with you artistry at all. I am now as we speak wrapping my fat little arms around you and giving you a great big HUG!

Hugs Louise

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Big hugs Shelli , you are awesome and so are your bears but you are human too  bear_wub   bear_wub  You know we love and support you in every way. I understand the way you feel about resales,it's hard on a bearmaker, we care so much about everything in our lives ,that's just who we are.
As for the health, you need to take care of you and remember it's family that really counts. I have been struggling with health and life issues so I understand , I am just finishing a bear after  two months of working on it when I'm able   :redface:  so keep the faith!!

:hug:   :hug:    :hug:    :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Shelli - more experienced bearmakers than I have provided what to my mind is sound advice and probably corroborates what deep down you know yourself.

Like others have said - you have given support and encouragement to all  TTrs and stretched their bearmaking and computer talents to places they didn't even know existed. You have continued to grow in your own skill and competitions - well - say no more. (Goodness - sounds like an end of term report doesn't it)

It seems to me - that you can't keep this pace up indefinitely and are entitled to some slow down time unless you have the time machine that generates more than 24/7.  Your friends and customers will know you'll be back to full steam ahead soon, and waiting for your new creations to burst forth is all part of the excitement.  Good things come to those who wait- right?

Anyway  enough of my ranting - just know your cheering section is here................. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Hope this helps just a little.........

Kent
Website

SunnieLean.jpgSUNNIEprofile.jpgMe again! 

Hey, aren't you overlooking a little something here Shelli? 

Take a look!  No, I mean, really look, don't shrug!  Take a long hard look at what you can do ... and then tell me you're still insecure!  Believe me, there are plenty of bear makers out there who would kill to be able to create bears that embody so many superb qualities!  bear_thumb

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

:hug:  :hug:  :hug: Shelli,
  I honestly don't think I can add anything to what you've so aptly stated already in your initial post, and the comments of my fellow bear artists are just what I would say!!!!!  But I can definitely offer the support and big hugs that you asked for!  Hey... if you weren't all the way in California, I'd be in my car right now headed over to take you out for a latte and a pedicure!   So.. BIG huge hugs from me...!!!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Kim Basta
Wild thyme Originals

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

That will have to be a DECAF latte, Kim, for cardiac reasons (doctor's orders!)... and Paula, I'm sending you some kind of trophy or prize or liquor or brownies or something.  Three posts, just to cheer me up?  With visual aids???  A better friend and support, a girl couldn't possibly know.  Thank you!

To the rest of you... I just can't thank you enough for the kindness of your comments about me and my bears.  Words fail me.  Your support has moved me to tears, truly.  The good kind, I mean.

Thank you so much.

Hugs and love,  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
Shelli wrote:

That will have to be a DECAF latte, Kim, for cardiac reasons (doctor's orders!)...

ABSOLUTELY.... DECAF!   bear_smile  bear_wub  :hug:
I'm so glad that you are feeling a bit better Shelli... we ALL have those down times!  Isn't it so wonderful to have a place like this where people understand EXACTLY what you are talking about!!!!!  I thank God everyday that Teddy Talk is here and that this wonderful group of people are here sharing joys and sorrows.... and Shelli.... you are an absolutely

HUGE

part of what has made TT what is today!!!!!!   :hug:

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi there Shelli!

Buyers on ebay are just more worried about fraud sales....there are so many artists who have bolded fraud paragraphs in their listings that buyers are just more hesitant with re-sales. I wouldn't at all worry about your work or your status in the collecting community based on an ebay resale here or there, not at all.  It's just one of those things in life you can't control. Take a few more minutes to think about it, feel it, and then roll it up and toss it out.  Can't let it stress you, esp if you've got other things in life going on.  I learned that last year while going through my own health crisis. (what's up with bear makers and our health issues???  Too many perfectionists stressing ourselves out or what?!  bear_wacko )

I think someone else mentioned having a complete thyroid workup done. A couple years back I wound up in the ER hooked up to monitors because my heart was doing backflips and running like a jack rabbit's.  I thought I was having a heart attack before I even hit 30.  I wound up with a monitor on my hip for a few days and the whole sha-bang and although I had been tested previously it turned out that my thyroid was severely out of whack.  Some doctors will play the "hysterical panick attacked female" card with you, so I'm glad to hear you have good doctors who are taking it all seriously. 

You're an award winning, nominated bear artist..if you're insecure I'm taking the bear head I'm working on now and punting it to the curb (kidding...I just lost blood for this one & it's staying). Whether you realize it or not, you're up there with the established names.  It'll take a little more than a re-sale on ebay to take away what you worked smartly and created smartly for yourself.   

Do something little for yourself today that's just for you and makes you feel better!!

~Off to do what makes me feel better...plop in a favorite movie and try to make a stuffed piece of mohair look less like a camel and more like bear  bear_grin
-Chrissi
ebay, ctcatherwoods
coming summer2006...www.CatherWoods

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks alot Paula... :crackup:   :crackup:

That little bear was suppose to be MINE....however, the powers that be who control the internet found it necessary to NOT let me log into Ebay at the moment I NEEDED to in order to win.

I'll shall be returning to my corner of the world with more tantrums.  HUMPF!!!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Awww, Shelli.  :hug:

First of all, it's very scary when your heart starts doing wierd things!  I hope to hear an excellent report on your upcoming stress test. As others have said, it is most likely stress and/or caffeine related.  You might consider having your thyroid tested also as it can cause your heart to bounce around in your chest like a scared rabbit. It did mine! I can drink coffee no problem, but chocolate flavored coffee makes my heart flutter and flip around. Strange, huh? I mention this only to point out that there are a lot of things that can cause heart palpitations, it's just a matter of identifying the cause and eliminating it and you are taking the first steps in doing that so good for you. Not knowing can be as difficult as the problem itself, so hang in there!!   I'm sending you healing, supportive vibes about this. bear_thumb

As for you bears, I'm still just a wanna-be so I can't offer any sage advice, only an observation and an opinion or two.

Observation: I don't know why anyone would want to let go of one of your creations but I have noticed that collectors in general seem to prefer to buy bears fresh from the artist rather than aquiring a pre-owned bear. (Unless it is an antique or super cheap of course!) On various bear boards I've seen collectors express their hesitation in buying a pre-owned bear for a variety of reasons that had nothing at all to do with the artist. Many related to whether it came from a home with smokers, pets or other allergens and odors.

Opinion: When I see an artist bear up for re-sale, I don't think it particularly reflects on the artist. I usually think the collector (1) needs the money for some reason,  (2)  has had a change of taste, (3) is trying to make a little money on the name of a bear artist who has become more prominant.
Ebay certainly isn't the only outlet and not a very consistant gauge to judge the appeal of anyone's work, as far as I can tell.

Here is a FACT, dear Shelli: You are a fabulous award winning bear artist!

More facts: Your bears are gorgeous and distinctive as well as very appealing. Because of this (along with some savvy strategies and hard work I'm sure) you have attained a high degree of success in a relatively short period of time.   Your website is up to date and if your retailers are asking for more bears than you can make right now, well it sounds like your bears are in demand! Yay! If you need to slow down and make fewer bears, do it! Your health comes first. It will only make the ones you do make more valuable.

Sometimes when certain aspects of our life are not going right it makes everything else seem gloomier that it really is. I know your a very level headed person but it can happen to the best of us. Like the reverse of wearing rose colored glasses when we are in love, ya know?

At any rate, big hugs to you and hang in there.  Any day now something really great is going to happen to balance things out!

:hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Dear Shelli,
Ditto the caring thoughts from everyone replying. First and formost your health must be your first concern and the related stress from the thought of your reputation in the bear world being damaged can only be making things harder. Your bears are wonderful, darling bears that speak with their eyes.  They will always be loved wether you make one a week or one a month. Please try not to worry... BIG HUGS :hug:
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shel, my friend . . . I can't say how talented you are any better than what's already been said, and your ablility isn't really the issue here.  Your confidence has taken a big whack because of several things, in my opinion.  Have you just recently discovered that your bears are being re-sold on ebay?  If so, it is kind of a kick in the bum to know that someone is willing to part with one of your creations . . . no matter what the reason.  Even more 'insulting' is that they might be doing it just to make a little profit off your hard-earned reputation.  But the fact is - it happens to all of us.  Man, it took the wind out of my sails when I realized my work was being re-sold.  I've seen several of my early pieces garner not one bid, but . . . oh well . . . it's not going to be the last time it happens, so you just move on to your next fresh, new, progressive, outstanding design and love taking the proceeds from its sale to the bank.  Bottom line is you're not going to be able to control much that goes on with ebay.  I've never sold there and I think there are a few collectors who still know who I am.  Your collector base WILL NOT forget who you are and will always look forward to the next fantastic creation to come out of your studio whether it be once a week, once a month, or once a year.  Of course, the ads you put in the magazines will also keep your name out there. 

The health issue could also be eroding your self esteem.  Practically none of us wants to feel less than robust, healthy, energetic, and ready for anything.  If our bodies are ailing, then we are vulnerable, and being vulnerable can make us feel weak-spirited.  So, hopefully, finding a reason for your heart upsy-daisies and then treating the cause will make you feel strong and in charge again.  Not being in control of at least some portions of our lives can cause many of us to doubt our self-worth.  I'm here to tell you that you don't need to doubt yourself.  You are a strong, talented, articulate, intelligent person and you WILL overcome!!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

sarahjane Brisbane

Dear Shelli,

I agree with everything everyone else is saying and couldn't say it any better myself. I would kill (well almost) to be able to make bears that look like yours and you along with some of the others on here are one of my greatest inspirations!!! Your bears give newcomers like me something to strive for.

That said you must look after yourself, your health is more important than anything else in your life right now, the bearmaking can wait. You are a well established bear artist and your customers won't forget you, I think that what Sabine said earlier was correct

Shelli, your health must come first. If your bears are a little scarcer they will become even more desirable and prices for the few that turn up may go way up. Have faith in yourself, you are a great girl and your bears are top of the line!

Take care of yourself and when you are ready there will be customers lined up waiting for you  :hug:

Pages:

Board footer