Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

TTtree.jpgAfter supper, I was watering the flower in the back yard and the sky was blue in one direction, but when I turned around it was green/yellow and VERY black.  I quickly put things away and ran to the front, just as everything went crazy! I realized the wind had blown the garage door shut and I was locked out with one of my cats (who was shaking!).  The wind was horrendous and the rain was so heavy I couldn't see the house across the street.  I knew the lock box code on the door, but it took me a few tries as I was shaking and the cat was biting me (he was frantic), when I heard an enormous crack and I knew lightning had hit our poor tree.  By the time, I got the door open, everything had stopped and the temperature had dropped over 10 degrees.  Our poor tree is now "half" a tree and my husband is going to be so upset - it has always been his baby.  My cat still won't go outside! I've heard three sets of sirens, so I hope nothing serious has happened to anyone.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Oh my gosh! You were so close to that lightening strike!  So glad you're ok Brenda, that's really scary! 
I have a freak-out fear of lightening and storms. I'd be medicated at this point if I was the one near that poor tree when it got hit. Happy you and you're little cat are ok, sad for your lovely tree.
~Chrissi
ebay, ctcathewoods
coming summer2006...www.CatherWoods.com

Well Chrissi,
     I'm not medicated, but the evening is completely shot.  I can't concentrate on anything!  I don't want to be that close to anything like that again - ever.  I just caught a blurb on the local news about the "severe" storm, so I'm wondering if it might have been a mini tornado.  The winds were definitely stronger than anything I've seen and  the temperature dropped soooo fast.  I really do prefer winter - I can prepare for a storm coming up.  Much easier to deal with.  My poor kitty is still rattled and sticking pretty close to me. 

hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

How awful for you, Brenda - I'm so glad you and your kitty weren't hurt.  But just the thought of what could have happened would scare the daylights out of me, too.  Sorry about your tree, but it's still beautiful.

Sue Ann,
     Yes, the tree is still beautiful and now that I have calmed down and stopped shaking, I realize how much worse it could have been.  It could have fallen onto the garage or the neighbours car etc.  I was really scared for the cat, as he was quite frantic and I've never seen him like that.  Poor thing still doesn't want to go outside - I'm keeping him in the house until the morning.   I've had two very generous neighbours offer to clean up the mess for me, first thing tomorrow, so that is really sweet since hubby is only home on weekends.   Good neighbours are really a blessing.

hugs,

Brenda

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Animals do tend to pick up signs faster than we do. We had a bad storm and had the neighbours tree struck by lightning and half of it tumbled over the wall bashing into my husband's canoe. Fortunately the tree is still standing and has recovered and the canoe was repaired.
Brenda pleased that you and your cat were not injured although shaken up- funny how these things happen in a flash of a moment.

Lynette

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Oh my God Brenda!! That was too close!! I am glad that you and kitty are fine. We ( I am in S.California ) sometimes gets this wind call Santa Ana wind and it is bad!. This Summer, that just begun, we have had a couple of weeks of over 100 , is not unusually hot but, it is so humid and here it has always be dry heat. I am telling you there are weird thing with weather everywhere!! Mother Nature for sure has PMS or something lately!!
Sorry for the tree.
Bear hugs,
Gladys.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Glad to hear that you and the cat are OK. Sounds like a Micro-Burst that hit. I'm not too far south of you.....a friend of mine had some trees blow over at her house, nothing too serious. We were at camp and had strong winds, but nothing like what you described (at least this time, we were at camp when the Micro-Burst came through about 10 years ago) Good neighbors are the best! Hope everything gets cleaned up soon.
Ellen

bhbears Bearhaven Bears
Merrickville, Ontario

Hey Brenda,
That is so scarry I'm glad it was only the tree and not you.  Strang thing is we got nothing here, and I'm about 15-20 minutes form you depends on how fast I drive bear_grin .  There was a tornado warning for our area yesterday maybe you got the tail end of one.  It got a bit dark and I heard thunder of in the distance but not a drop of rain.  We have been having some wicked stroms though haven't we, freaky kind of summer so far.
Glad your okay
Hugs Deb

Gladys, I think you're right - mother nature has PMS or something!  LOL!
Ellen, it could have been a micro-burst - I've not heard of that term.  Where do you live in New York State.  We are about 20 minutes from the border at Ogensburg, N.Y.
Lynette, I know animals have sharp senses about weather, and I think that's what really rattled me. 

Deb, it was freaky, it happened so fast.  I had just gone downtown on my bike and the sky was all blue.  It was blue when I started to water the flowers - it just came up the river really fast.  I heard a bit of thunder and turned around to see this really weird sky and I knew it was bad.  Next time I'll make sure the main door is unlocked, and not rely on the garage to stay open LOL!  I'm not surprised you didn't get it - I think it was really localized.  It's the side of the tree, closest to the house so at least it still looks reasonable from the street.  I was going to try and squeeze in a tea, but I have Corson for three days next week - I'll have to see what I can do.  I'll let you know.  Bye for now.

hugs,

Brenda

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Oh Brenda, that's aweful! I am so glad that you weren't hurt. It is amazing just how fast that happens. A couple of years ago, I was putting my garden tools away in the shed and before I even made it to the house ( just a few yards away) a wind of some kind came through and picked up the shed, which was secured on a foundation, and smashed it to bits. I shook for a couple of days after that.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Brenda, I live just south of Potsdam....about 45 minutes from O'gburg. This coming weekend is the Potsdam Summer Fest, if you are interested in traveling, I will have my bears there, some will even be picnicing in the bed of my hubby's '49 Chevy pick up.....
To define the term Micro-Burst (as I understand it) it is strong wind gusts very similar to tornados, but there is a difference. I don't think micro-burst winds are circular like a tornado.  They are not fun to be in and neither is a tornado..........
pandamac

Hi Ellen,
     Going to Potsdam would have been lovely, unfortunately, hubby is only home every other weekend, and I don't drive.  We love your area and Lake Placid as well.  We were just talking about how we miss taking our day trips this summer.  Hopeffully, the market will pick up and we can finally sell the house.   I think the gas prices have really affected our area, as people don't want to commute now.

P.S.  I heard on the noon news that we did have a "micro-burst", so you were right.  The cold air front that came through so fast, was a major factor.  They can have winds over 150 mph but not in a funnel, like tornados.  Again, I've learned something new from Teddy Talk LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

OOOOhhhhh, Brenda. Sounds like you had such a close call! I'm glad you and yours are all okay. Better the tree than you or your house! Whew!

Renae, bravery had nothing to do with it - stupidity did!  I'll make sure all my doors are unlocked from now on, when I'm outside! We have a covered front porch, and luckily, the garage blocked most of the wind.  I had the poor cat squished between the sceen door, cuz I didn't want him to run away on me!  It was just the sound of the lightning hitting the tree, and the crack of it splitting that freaked me out!

hugs,

Brenda

Dilu Posts: 8,574

The little critters always know ahead of time....where I grew up..(I grew up?hmmmm)

If the crickets stop chirping at night and didn't start up again within 1 minute or two, then you knew there was going to be an earthquake!  They were always right....much better prognosticators than the experts

We use to play "earthquake drills", and run and jump on the waterbed....

it's a kick in the pants to be on a water bed during an earthquake....close your eyes and think Jello....

I am super glad you weren't hurt Brenda-  its seems the weather has been odd all around the world.....

.....maybe former Vice President Gore is right?

a102.gif

a108.gif

c024.gif

Renae,
     I've only been through one minor earthquake and like you, I was yelling at our daughter to stop whatever she was doing, because the piano was shaking and she wasn't "doing" anything.  It was an earthquake and it felt really, really odd.  I can live without that experience again LOL! 
     I just found out tonight, that two neighbours lost their patio furniture last night, off their upper decks.  Ours was fine, which surprised me because it's quite light-weight, but I think it was because we didn't have our umbrella up.  Our tree is cleaned up, but still have to phone the township to see if they will pick up the huge pile of branches - hope so. 

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer