Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

I have been talking to Cindy from Australian Bear Creations . She informed that BC has under gone very big changes with new owners.She is new to the advertising dept.
Those who buy the magazine in Australia will know that it has been sold for some time with the latest copy together with an 0ld copy, in a plastic sleeve. While some saw this as a great way to market the magazine ( something for nothing), others like myself didn't want two magazines. Many people also said that they would pick up the double magazine then replace it confused  if it was  an old or new edition. (no date on cover)
     I understand the changes include a new Editor who will be a Bear ......in fact it is to be  Bear Artist ,name will not be disclosed. I'm not sure if this will be good or not....time will tell. I have advertised with the magazine in the past and am looking at placing a few ads later in the year.But as you know advertising is many , many bear hours of work and you sometimes wonder if it would have the same effect if you just threw your hard earned money in the air.
Do any of you buy/subscribe to Australian Bear Creations or their other publication Dolls Bears and Collectables ?
I do think that the whole new approach to the magazine will be good. Apparently they will be replacing the extra old copy with give aways and promotion goodies for the buyers.
Susan
www.adorablebears.com.au

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

Lisa, As you may..or may not know , I have advertised with both magazines a great deal over the years (12). What I meant by saying that at times i wonder if it would be just as useful to toss money in the air. is that it is a hard thing to measure. At times there were advertising people  who had no idea that the majority of Bear Artists work long hours for a small financial reward. Thus the cost of advertising which seemed very fair to those employed on the magazine, was a huge percentage of the years bear income.
       I too am excited by the proposed changes to Bear Creations and look forward to my continued support through advertising. I have also submitted many  projects in the past, most of which, were last minute phone call from them desperate for an immediate project as someone had failed to deliver. I was actually asked to do one for this August but there was no follow up so I assume it will not go ahead.
       With regard to the date on the cover TB&F have month/year on the cover and they distribute worldwide. I hope they reconsider this at ABC  & DBC.
        Again....I am looking forward to a new look bear magazine. and wish them well and will continue to support the magazine when possible.
Susan

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Hi Lisa and Susan
Well I think this is wonderful..If the editor is a bear person that will be terrific...I didn't know that the current editor was leaving...
I think less patterns and more collectables is really a good step to take...really we have had to buy the overseas magazines for that sort of coverage haven't we...and I can't wait to see them adding more international artists...and a website...that will be great!
Thanks for the update Lisa  :hug:
xo sarah

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks for the info girls and the update Lisa...I buy both these magazines every time and find them both inspirational.
The new direction Bear Creations is taking sound exciting and I can't wait to see it. I've always found the Aussie magazines excellent and very affordable compared to some of the others. I like the others too but can't afford to buy them as often.  bear_grin

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks Lisa for the insight to both these mags, I subscribe to both and have only just recently started advertising.

We have already noticed a trend of good changes in the past few issues especially more so in ABC. I think Simon and his team are on the right path and need our support. bear_original

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

My main point in starting this discussion was to find out if many of you actually subscribe to either magazine or even buy it . I am paretically interested in how many outside Australia buy Bear Creations as most of my bears are sold o/s especially going to the U.S.
I will advertise with BC again but when and how much is what I am trying to determine. I have also advertised with Bear Facts and run one or two with TB&F some years ago. I would just love to know what mags. you all buy and if they have led you to a bear purchase.
Susan
www.adorablebears.com.au

lulubears Posts: 280

Hi Susan.  I actually have every copy of both Bear Creations as well as Doll, Bears & Collectible since they started.  I buy them to resell and have them on my website.  I live in the states, and unless you get a subscription, they are very difficult to find.  Some of the quilt stores carry them, but are charging $12.95 per copy, which is absurd.  They should be charging the cover price, but you can't do anything about their pricing.

I had always used the number of patterns in each issue of Bear Creations as a selling point.  You could purchase one magazine and go home with 5 or 6 different projects, as well as all of the other info packed into the magazines for basically the same price as one pattern.  I saw a dramatic drop in my individual pattern sales when I started carrying the magazines.  (I have a feeling that those who were purchasing individual patterns were "sharing" with others.)   I think the idea of fewer patterns in the magazines will have an effect on the number of magazines I sell for a bit, but the customers can now be directed toward all of the new features coming.  One nice thing about Bear Creations is that we don't read about the same artists over and over and over.  They always seem to find new and different artists, and I'm pleased that they are trying out some new ideas. 

I haven't advertised in the Australian magazines, as I'm not sure that it would be beneficial to me, since I'm in the states.  I may check into it, however.  Interesting topic.

Luann

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

Thanks Luan, that is interesting. From a bear artist point of view I am pleased that they are reducing the number of projects, even though I did supply several ( and for which I was paid). I also have most, but not all of each of these magazines , plus many others, and just can't throw them away.
        I was interested to hear that BC is difficult to obtain in the US . I also understand that despite only 4 hours flight to N.Z for Aust. they magazine has, at least in the past, taken about 6 weeks to arrive in paper shops. I wonder if this is still the case.
Susan
www.adorablebears.com.au

Hmmm.  Not sure about how long it takes them to get to Australia, but I know that everytime I read a post on an Australian group I'm on about the current issue they are reading, I quickly figure out we are close to 2 issues behind.   Several times, people have been kind enough to scan articles and e-mail them since it will be so long before we actually get to see them.

As far as I know, none of the Australian magazines are available anywhere within several hundred miles of me.  For a lot of people, I'm their only source other than e-bay.  It's not much different than the bear magazines published here in the states.  We aren't able to get Teddy Bear Review or Teddy Bear and Friends at any of the local bookstores.  Haven't been able to for a very long time.  I don't know the reasoning behind none of the stores carrying them.  Maybe the magazines themselves have decided to go "subscription only", which is a shame, because people are always asking for them.  We even have a book/magazine store here that will order anything you want.  He is unable to get either of the US bear magazines for us. 

I also love the other Australian magazines, especially the ones that deal with needlework, crafts, etc.  It has always seemed to me that the Australian artists "see" things differently than we do here in the states.  Maybe that's why I'm so fascinated with their publications.

Luann

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

I guess in the past, Bear Creations has been focussed on the needs of the new bearmakers and not so much on the artists needs. But as more and more people venture into their own designs, the magazine needs to change with the times, which they are doing.

I have chosen to advertise with Bear Creations for the next 12 months and will evaluate at the end of that term whether it has been a worthwhile exercise or not. It sounds promising that it co-incides with the new changes in the magazine.

I think having a bear artist as editor can only be a good thing as the only problems I have had with the mag have been born from lack of understanding of the product.

Regarding subscriptions..I get very confused with their Volume numbers too and wish they would just put a month on them. I am a subscriber, but my biggest beef is that even though I get my mag a week earlier than it hits the newsagents and I get it cheaper, now that they put the second magazine in with the current issue...I can't help but feeling I'm being ripped off. You know...wait another week, get a free mag too. Doesn't matter if I already have that free mag...they sell well down the road on ebay! bear_grin

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

Maybe there could be some of you interested in a swap....although postage may be a stumbling block. I do sometimes buy the Teddy Bear Review but it is so expensive here. i now subscribe to TB&F and did so for two reasons, the newsagent seemed to be getting in only one or two copies and I would miss out and they were about six weeks old so things like the Toby award , were almost over by the time I got a copy. Also they then made a special reduced offer. I have just updated to a 12 month sub. as they offered a gift which arrived this week. It is a lovely teddy key ring. Yes I'm a sucker for a free gift. But to get back on topic , lets hope that BC is marketed as well as TB&F.
Thank you for letting me know how unavailable BC has been for Artists/Collectors in US.
If anyone else buys it or has made a purchas as a result of buying it I would still love to hear from you. At the moment I am torn betwen wanting to support a local magazine but also using my money to best advantage.
Thanks ,
Susanl

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Just to let you know that Bear Creations and Dolls Bears and Collectibles is also available in Canada but they are pricey. I have found that I could never figure out just what issue it was as they are late arriving here and because there was no date on the front of the magazine at times I have purchased two of the same one which really put me off. I for one vote for a date on the front of the magazines so we at least know whether they are old issues or new ones Having said all this I do love both magazines
Hugs
Gail

Australia

Thanks Lisa for so much info bear_flower , that all sounds great and yes, I found the magazine kinda pointless past the beginner level with all patterns too...so it is definitely a huge thumbs up from me  bear_thumb   
Some of the international mags are so pricey, and that is all we had if we wanted anything else.  I think one is $17!!  too much isn't it...so ABC expanding will be very exciting
xo Sarah

Australia
Koala wrote:

Maybe there could be some of you interested in a swap....although postage may be a stumbling block. I do sometimes buy the Teddy Bear Review but it is so expensive here. i now subscribe to TB&F and did so for two reasons, the newsagent seemed to be getting in only one or two copies and I would miss out and they were about six weeks old so things like the Toby award , were almost over by the time I got a copy. Also they then made a special reduced offer. I have just updated to a 12 month sub. as they offered a gift which arrived this week. It is a lovely teddy key ring. Yes I'm a sucker for a free gift. But to get back on topic , lets hope that BC is marketed as well as TB&F.
Thank you for letting me know how unavailable BC has been for Artists/Collectors in US.
If anyone else buys it or has made a purchas as a result of buying it I would still love to hear from you. At the moment I am torn betwen wanting to support a local magazine but also using my money to best advantage.
Thanks ,
Susanl

I've been wondering whether to subscribe too...They seem to run out at our newsagent too quickly too  bear_cry
One thing I do like about the american mags is that you can look through them at the shop...see if you want it...ABC is always sealed, so you can't see if you want it or not....

Okay, here I am once again!  With all of the new changes apparently being made to the magazine, I can see where a date on the magazine can be helpful.  On the other hand, as a person who purchases them on a regular basis to re-sell, they are much easier to sell BECAUSE they are NOT dated.  The only information in the magazines that is dated is the list of shows. You can kind of surmise from the show listings how old (or new) the issue is. Otherwise, the content doesn't have to to have a date associated with it.  For people that buy them from me fairly regularly, I keep an index card with their name on it, and write down the issues they have purchased.  If they can't remember which ones they have bought, we can always look back on the cards.  I suppose anyone could use this same method, and keep the card to refer to in their pocketbook.

Luann

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

Thank you everyone. I have had another chat with Cindy from  the two Aussie mags. I am reassured that the magazine will be something which should appeal to Collectors  and Artist and not just be a hobby craft mag. I have signed up for an ad for DB&C and two with BC so we will just have to wait and hope that it all turns out as well as it sounds.
Anyone who has a chance to contact them and let them know directly that you would like to se a date on the cover may help influence them as they do seem to be open to ideas.
Susan

Board footer