Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Okay, you guys all know I am a Wayne Dyer fan.  My dad sent me this and I think is worth sharing.  These are from his book , "Gifts from Eykis".

Which one is your favorite?

This chapter is called "the secrets of the universe" -- I don't like such proclamations..
but anyhow here they are according to Dyer.
1. Learn to cultivate your own garden
focus on the one thing which you have the most control over: yourself.
he says if we really put our energy into ourselves we won't have time to criticize our neighbor's garden
create your own garden as you see fit-- put your energy into being the happiest, most fulfilled person possible

2. The kingdom of heaven is within
the key to happiness lies within. And it is found while you are alive, not after you die!

3. Everything thing in the universe is exactly as it should be.
freeing those moments when you are judging things will give you more time to be happy.

4: I hear; I forget. I see: I may remember. I do: I understand
He says educators provide too much hearing and too little doing.

5: If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and one endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hour.
(Henry David Thoreau)
when you lead your life in a way that you feel personally fulfilled, doing what makes sense and feels right for you, success will naturally follow.
only those who don't chase things will actually get enough of them to meet their needs.

6 Life it self is miraculous, therefore you never need to seek miracles
nature is awesome, fascinating. He says the time you spend fighting life can't be used enjoying it 

7 It is never too late to have a happy childhood.

why bother looking at anything unpleasant in the past, just think of the happy times.

8 Relationships that work, work because there is no work.
He says they only need mutual respect.

9  "There is no one right way"
more listening and less demanding would eliminate the need to be right.  we need to stop trying to impose our way on others.
He says "nobody likes being told what to do." He says everyone knows this, but keeps doing it anyhow. "It is an insult to free thinking..."  Stop trying to tell people about the right way and ask them about their way. He says you might learn something and you will avoid creating hostilities.

10 You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.
"You have the inherent power to teach anyone how you like to be treated." When you accept abuse, you are responsible.
we must accept nothing less than respect. If we don't receive it, I suggest we leave the person or the situation, rather than try to change them, assuming we have communicated our feelings several times without attacking the other.
"Teach those around you through behavior, not empty arguments, that you will tolerate nothing less than respect."
Ask yourself: Why am I allowing them to do this to me? rather than: Why are they doing this to me again?

11 -- Wherever you go there you are.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I like all of these but I think my favorites are number 1 and 9. bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, I like them all, some for different reasons.

As an educator, I couldn't agree more strongly with point #4.  The lecture style of teaching is old-school and it doesn't work for many.  Involving people in the learning process, and inviting them to help co-create it in a collaborative way, cements learning best.

As a human being, I'm particularly drawn to #6, #7, and #9.

And, interestingly, I used #11 as my Senior Quote in my high school yearbook, way back in 1984!!!

PS  If anyone says he/she was BORN in 1984, or AFTER 1984, I will be sending that someone a large chunk of coal.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I like them all Judi...I really can't pick out one that I like more than another.  They speak to me in different ways or aspect of my life.

Thanks for sharing these!!!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

No. 1 and No. 9

particularly No. 9 I think people get stuck in the idea of perfect and doing something the right way when they should be doing the right way FOR THEM.

sarahjane Brisbane

I really like them all as they all make sense, but my favourites are number 1,2 and 9

By the Way Renae I really love that poem...I've copied it to keep....thank you for posting it!!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Renae, I adore you.   bear_flower

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

2, 5 and 8.  Bless you Judi and Renae for these posts.  Truly lovely and thought filled.

Warmest bear hugs, :hug:
Aleta

nettie scotland
Website

I don't know him either but he sounds like a Voltaire fan.I love Voltaire especially Candide.If any of you haven't read him you should give it a go if you like philosophy.
Diane

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Hi Judi,

I liked all the verses and I think there is something there for all of us...but if I have to pick...No 5...I'm a great believer in positive thinking.

WildCatDancer wrote:

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

However, Renae reminded me of something. A long time ago, I received a hand written verse from a dear friend. It was a time in my life when I was feeling full of self doubt and less worthy than my peers. It changed my way of thinking completely.

Hugs,
Sandi

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

1. Learn to cultivate your own garden~ put your energy into being the happiest, most fulfilled person possible
totally!!

7 It is never too late to have a happy childhood ~ for sure. why bother looking at anything unpleasant in the past, just think of the happy times. Even in the present..focus on positive things

9  "There is no one right way" For sure...we are all individuals

10 You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you. ~ Yep!  Except when you are a child of course and have no influence.  If you don't let people worry you, they won't :)

and I love 11 -- Wherever you go there you are.  lol  The Brady Bunch movie..isn't Mike so wise lol

Renae, beautiful post  bear_flower

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, Judi. That was nice.

I've always believed these things. Well, I guess I started to believe after I started doing tarot cards. I see the same things in everyone, and these ARE they keys to happiness.

My favorite is 1,2,3.

" there is only one thing we can control in life. How we feel. We can shoose to be upset, positive, angry etc. WE can't choose what happens, just how we feel."

I find that mantra very powerfull

Dilu Posts: 8,574

hi honey

9, 11 and 7

Actually 11 is a famous quote used in Buddhism.  Since he didn't explain it may I?

It means that everything you are is in you....we can't run away from our problems we take them with us....we can't be taken away from our contentment, it is in us.....were we to be plunged into the deepest darkest prison it would still be us and we could find everything inside us in order to triumph over the adversity

therefore

what do we want in us?

thanks honey!

hugs

dilu

Who would have thought a minor in comparitive religions would actually have a practical use?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I am so glad to see such responses.  I was hoping to spark some heart felt wisdome from you all especially since there is so much of it here on TT.  I love to hear positive thoughts..they are inspiring and it  recharges the soul.

Ranae, that poem is beautiful and perfect in every way.  I too, am priniting out.  Thank you very much for . bear_thumb  bear_thumb  sharing it with us. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

"Actually 11 is a famous quote used in Buddhism."  from Dilu.

And I thought Mary Engelbreit made that up!!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
SueAnn wrote:

And I thought Mary Engelbreit made that up!!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

:crackup:  :crackup:

I have one of Mary Engelbriet's little magazine "posters" on my studio wall....."It's never too late to be what you might have been".   

I never looked into who wrote it, but I just googled it and it turns out it was by:
George Eliot is the pen name of Mary Anne Evans[1] (22 November 1819 – 22 December 1880), who was an English novelist. She was one of the leading writers of the Victorian era. Her novels, largely set in provincial England, are well known for their realism and psychological perspicacity.

She used a male pen name, she said, to ensure that her works were taken seriously. Female authors published freely under their own names, but Eliot wanted to ensure that she was not seen as merely a writer of romances.

Wow, makes me like that quote even more now!!!  bear_wub
~Chrissi

Maybe Mary likes to 'zen' out too.....Truth is truth.  it doesn't matter where it comes from.

c033.gif

Chrissi,

I don't remember Geroge Sand's given name, but I do remember, and love her for this, that she loved, took care of, and inspired and protected Chopin. I suspect that because of her many of the pieces he left us were written.  I wonder what we would have missed without her.....

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

10 You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.
"You have the inherent power to teach anyone how you like to be treated." When you accept abuse, you are responsible.
we must accept nothing less than respect. If we don't receive it, I suggest we leave the person or the situation, rather than try to change them, assuming we have communicated our feelings several times without attacking the other.
"Teach those around you through behavior, not empty arguments, that you will tolerate nothing less than respect."
Ask yourself: Why am I allowing them to do this to me? rather than: Why are they doing this to me again?
[b]

This one, after last night. To cut a long story short, I stopped someone trying to rob me of £400. OK I got knocked over, but my behaviour was mean, angry and violent! In other words I do not accept you are going to rob me and I will not tolerate being the victim. I did'nt allow them to make me a victim and there was no point asking them nicely to hand the money back.

OK so its not quite the right story to the meaning of no.10 but I still feel good about something that was bad. I did'nt accept the abuse they were dishing out! :dance:

Wow Amanda

c014.gif

Congratulations!!!!

c011.gif

There is absolutely nothing wrong with rightous anger!  c004.gif  You didn't get born into a gentle world and the fact that you stood up for yourself is fantastic!

Saving 400 pounds or Uros or whatever it is now....welll thats pretty darn special too

a084.gif  a077.gif

[size=26]Way to Go AMANDA[/size] a194.gif

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh my goodness, Amanda . . . I'm so glad you weren't hurt - or worse!  You are one brave lady and I have the utmost admiration for your courage!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Australia
SueAnn wrote:

OMG Dilu, how silly do I feel.  won't delete my Mike Brady thing but let you all have a laugh lol (I'm laughing hehe)  :crackup:  :crackup:

Australia

Good on ya Amanda!!  Woo hoo, you show em girl!!  As Dilu stated, righteous anger  bear_thumb

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hee  bear_tongue I still feel good about. In the night I woke up and felt a little 'what if' but this morning back to feeling good. I'm not brave, I just reacted, no thinking, no decisions, just reaction. I'm going to read a few more of those quotes, I can't go around feeling like kicking butts if anyone does me wrong. bear_tongue I need to calm down a bit!

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Beautiful words of wisdom Judi...

8 Relationships that work, work because there is no work.
He says they only need mutual respect.

This is all thats needed to make the world a better place....

We all need and deserve mutual respect.

Board footer