Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Green-bug1-2.jpgI was watching the end of Canadian Idol, and heard a tick, tick, ticking noise - sort of like when a large bug is flying around a large light dome.   The noise was annoying and I followed it and all of a sudden I saw this lovely thing crawling up the wall.  It moved pretty quickly and I had to get out a stool to catch in in a glass.  It sort of looks like a grasshopper, but it's definitely not.  This is a nocturnal bug, and it's about 2 1/4 inches long, but I haven't a clue what it is - anyone know or care to hazzard a guess? LOL!  I'm going to let it go out front, as I'm heading to bed and don't  relish the thought of this thing in the house, in case one of the cats knocks the glass over LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

Oh Renae, you bring back memories - my largest cat is over 20 lbs and about 5 years ago, when he was still young and agile, he snuck by me while I was barbecuing, with a full size crow in his mouth.  He couldn't hang on to it for too long and soon it was flying all over the living room - crapping all over our carpet and flying into the glass picture window, all the while our three cats were flying through the air, trying to catch him.  If I wasn't so ticked off at all the mess, it would have been histerically funny.   Our son finally caught him by throwing a beach towel over it.   We took him outside and put him on the deck railing and over half his tail feathers were missing.  He kind of ruffled his feathers and flew off, probably looking for his mate thinking  "honey, have I got a story for you!" lol!!!

hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Looks like a katydid to me.

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

yep katydid. or "big green guys" as we call em around here!
they have a pretty distinctive call, I bet you've heard them.

dying at the crow story & the Renae adventures!  :crackup:
thankfully the little bat who got in our house had enough sense to stay
well up by the ceiling until I could do the towel-tossing thing, lol

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Yep, katydid...  and a very pretty one at that  bear_happy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, from now on I think anyone posting a thread with picutres of BUGS should put a BUG WARNING in the title!  bear_cry  For the faint of heart!!! :crackup:

Though I'll admit that katy is rather handsome... for a

BUG

!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne,  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Yes I think he is quite pretty also bear_thumb   For some reason the colorful bugs don't look as threatening as black one's. bear_shocked   Now if butterflies had big black hairy wings would we like them as much?! bear_shocked  bear_tongue

Thanks for the info - I looked it up and read more on them.  It says they are common in the NE U.S., so they are probably here as well, but I've never seen one before.  They are part of the grasshopper-cricket family, which doesn't surprise me and it says they don't fly long distances, preferring to walk.  I believe that, as this guy could really scoot up the wall.  He really was pretty.   So, another learning notch on my belt of knowledge LOL!  If I stay at TT for a couple of years, I'll be brilliant! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Oooh....what a pretty bug!!  Katydids are so fragile looking......and just, well, pretty!  Much prettier than those nasty june bugs! :crackup:  :crackup:

Daphne--how would this work?

WARNING--This thread may contain bug photos of a graphic nature that may be frightening for some viewers!!

:crackup:  :crackup:

Love the cat/bug/bird stories Brenda and Renae! :clap: Too funny.......I can just picture it! :crackup: I've never had a situation arise in my house like that......must be only by some miracle  bear_tongue .  If we did get a bird in our house though, all the cats AND the dogs would be after it.  Can you imagine three cats plus my Midget (rat terrier) and Golly, the 200+ pound English Mastiff tearing through the house after a bird? bear_shocked EEEEKK!!  The horror!! :crackup:

Tracy,
     And if you had a video camera ready for that scenario you could win yourself some serious money!  :crackup:  :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh poor Daphne, gave me my first giggle of the day.  Thank you honey.....yes, we will all try to remember to post warnings

I guess that means you don't watch that guy on the Discovery channel who searches out the absolutely dirtiest jobs in America?

di

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

oooh Tracy can I see pics of Golly the english massive?  bear_wub  :pray:  bear_wub
I love big dogs....my next one will be a newfie  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

(yes I know it's mastiff.....but they ARE massive...)  :crackup:

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

I saw a bug exactly the same as this yesterday in my garden here in Belgium - never seen one like that here before.  I'd seen huge grasshoppers like that in South Africa before but never here in Europe.  With the heat wave we've got at the minute (38c today  :redface: ) we seem to be getting these weird tropical beasties too...

Catherine
x

Iowa
Website

Brenda--I might have to set that one up for a video taping.  Momma needs a new car!! $$$$$$$:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Kim wrote:

(yes I know it's mastiff.....but they ARE massive...)

:crackup: Oh, that's funny......Golly the English massive!  Ha!!  I might have to start calling him that! bear_grin

Here's some  :photo:  :photo: !! I've had these on before, but they are so conveniently saved on my computer, so using them again. bear_tongue  bear_grin

PS--Is a newfie and Newfoundland (sp?)  They are beautiful dogs! bear_wub

:hug:
Tracy

golly1a.jpg

golly2a.jpg

golly3a.jpg

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Tracy,

Yep, a Newfie is a Newfoundland.  We have one here at our house now, Kim.  Her, along with our Bernese Mountain Dog, our Golden Retriever/Akita Mix, and my dad's Golden.  Enough big dogs to go around! lol  Your dog is sooooo sweet, Tracy!  I loooove big dogs!

Kimberly W.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA
Tracy wrote:

Brenda--I might have to set that one up for a video taping.  Momma needs a new car!! $$$$$$$:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Kim wrote:

(yes I know it's mastiff.....but they ARE massive...)

:crackup: Oh, that's funny......Golly the English massive!  Ha!!  I might have to start calling him that! bear_grin

Here's some  :photo:  :photo: !! I've had these on before, but they are so conveniently saved on my computer, so using them again. bear_tongue  bear_grin

PS--Is a newfie and Newfoundland (sp?)  They are beautiful dogs! bear_wub

:hug:
Tracy

That is the biggest dog I have ever seen !! TOO  FUNNY !! :crackup:  :crackup:   Jodi Falk

http://www.teddy-talk.com/upload2/golly1a.jpg

http://www.teddy-talk.com/upload2/golly2a.jpg

http://www.teddy-talk.com/upload2/golly3a.jpg

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

oooooh I am dying over here....too much mega-dog luv  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Golly has SUCH a dear face - what a lovey! & yes....Renae, send me that newf any
old time...at your convenience...  bear_wub  :crackup:

I have about ~130 lbs of dog, but it is a cumulative quantity:

98289993_9615470f7e.jpg

Kim,
     Your puppies are adorable AND comfortable LOL! 

hugs,

Brenda

Iowa
Website

Kim, what sweet, gorgeous (their heads anyway....can't see the rest :crackup: ), COMFY pups!!  I love that pic!! :hug:  :hug:

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

lol thank you Tracy & Brenda! I am pretty much in love with them. My last dog
did not like other dogs at all, so it brings me so much happiness that these two do
love one another  bear_wub

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_wub  Awwwhhhh...quite a lot of puppy love on here now  bear_wub

Oooh, laughed pretty hard at the pop can connecting with the bat ~ sorry little bat, the whole thing just looked so funny in my mind  bear_tongue   I wonder if the hit to the head messed up its radar for the night? 

We had a 'local' bat fly into the underside of our porch the first summer we moved here.  Seriously, we think the water supplies around here might have lead or something because the animals in the area are a little 'off' in their thinking and reactions.  Anyway, I was watching this bat in hot pursuit of a moth, and yep...up it swept right into the side of the porch "Thunk" and sorta half fluttered to the ground before flying off.  So much for radar  bear_tongue

Board footer