Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

My hubby gave me an antique Singer Featherweight- I think he was hoping to keep my spirits up during recuperation.  I want to have another surgery quick and see what he comes up with the next time!

Tell you a secret, I love this machine!!!!!.....works a charm and she is soooo quiet. 

And I finally get to play with the ruffler.  My mom had one for her regular sized Singer, when I was growing up and learning to sew and she would never ever

ever

ever

let me use the ruffler. 

Ha!  Mom I got my own now!

OK....

I was pinning a kimono together to sew and my hubby was watching. 
He asked how I knew which way to pin my seams.  I realized it is simply instinctive now after, shhh 45 years of sewing....

But when he asked, and I stopped to think about it ....well.....I kinda got confused.

I heard that  "So what else is new!"   a065.gif

So does anyone actually think about how they pin stuff?  Or do you all do like me, let instinct take over....the heads of the pins are always right where you need them to slip out before the needle hits them, no matter what it is you are sewing you just do it....they are never underneath or upside down....

Sometimes I think thinking can complicate things. g020.gif

Oh and the ruffler?  WOW!!! It makes golly dresses so much easier and faster!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm am soooooooo jealous I'm sure I'm turning green.  I've wanted a featherweight for ions and have yet to just go buy one.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE them for piecing quilts...so simple...and so feather light for dragging around to quilting bees...okay so I don't do that anymore...so what!!!   A friend of mine has THREE...isn't that rude...she could at least give me one...she can't use them all at once...although she would just to prove me wrong I'm sure.

Share a picture PUHLEEZE!!!

As far as the pinning...instinct...why think about something if I don't have to.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

My Mom used to swear by her featherweight and I know that quilters just love them. They are worth good money these days!
I also just pin instinctively - like typing, if I stop to think about it I mke mstakse.

Marion

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Hmmm,
I have never pinned. OK, I pinned back in 7th grade but I freaked out when the sewing machine needle hit the pin and broke! I love the tactile feel of matching seams and feeding them through the foot without pins in the way. I'm also able to push the fur in as I sew so that I have very little brush-out when my seam is finished. I guess I compensate for pins with many mark points that I can line up as I sew? I use a big old industrial Singer machine that I got from a factory in NYC. It has a motor the size of a Volkswagon! But it's quiet and soooo strong! 1/2" thick leather is nothing for this machine. I think it was built back in the 1940's! Came with a great table. I use it only for the basic sewing, I also do a lot of needle sculpture and fine hand stitching. But the faster and easier the basic stitching, the more time I can devote to the hand work  bear_thumb
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Shantelli!!!

Don't buy one here in Oregon.  For some reason they are way way way over priced!!!!  Hubby called a lot of places and he was told $900!!!

Can you imagine?

He got mine off....what did PenPen call it?  That GREAT BIG GARAGE SALE....

He watched e-bay for a long time to understand the lingo and get an idea of what they should go for etc....Then he bought a manual and read it and googled and found a place that listed what the serial numbers mean and all that.  Because there are reproductions made in China that aren't quite as good.  He sounds like a retired engineer, huh?

I love her, she had her little book and attachments and sews great.  On e-bay they go for about $250-$400.....

First thing he did was take her apart and clean and oil her and it was like she was brand new.

I will take a piccy and post it.

Karen, when I make people clothing, unless its a plaid (ugh) I don't pin either.  Hardly pin for gollys, just a couple in the middle, but when I am trying to do little tiny kimons?  I had to pin.....my fingers were just too clumsy a136.gif

You remind me of a husband-wife designer team in New York.  They don't pin anything according to an article in Threads about 6 years ago....That's what got me started....and it is pretty easy for most everything.....hmmmmm chiffon...thats another ugh.

silks is pretty good though...[/b]

DSC02054.JPGDSC02049.JPGDSC02050.JPGOK Shantelli, here she is.....

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

OK.... I must admit..... I never truly became efficient at using a sewing machine.  I'm practicing!!!!!!! I've been thinking about machine sewing a bear, like Karen said, the basic stitching.  But I don't want to do that until I'm really good at sewing.  All of you talking about sewing on a machine being second nature, I envy you!  I wish I could effortlessly turn corners.... I know the basics of sewing on a machine, but I'm not fluid at it at all. YUCK! lol  And More than once I've started sewing only to have this HUGE knotted clump of thread on the bottom side of my stitches, or thread all tangled in my bobbin area.  Yeah, so I just hand sew my bears. It's faster that way... lol

lol, I can see it now... you all are thinking "What the heck is she doing?!?!?!?"

Kimberly W.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Kimberly,
OK, everyone I know I'm right-on the forum today. I have hand trouble and my doctor wants me to take some down-time with sewing, typing seems to be OK. I think this is the best way for me to relax bear_happy
Kimberly, don't feel bad about sewing. I'm not one of those "by the book" sewers, even though I have learned some fine sewing techniques over the years. I find it's best to think of the sewing machine as JUST a tool for soft sculpture. You don't have to be a couture sewer. In fact, it's properly better that you design your own path for sewing your bears. The problem of knots and under-side tangles is not you! Something is not right with you bobbin! Have it checked out!
Karen

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Dilu..what a lovely thing for your man to do for you...our men love to show us how much they care in practical ways but yours takes the cake. You could probably sell him for a good price on The Great Big Garage Sale! :crackup:

I inherited my mother-in-laws Featherweight when she passed away a few years back but have been unable to use it because the belt has perished. It's a shame because apart from that it works great. We can't get parts in Australia for them...guess I should try the internet. I found a yahoo group for them a while back...with a whole 3 members!
I have seen the machines advertised for as much as $2000 AUD...ridiculous! bear_wacko

Karen..welcome to the group...your cats have been on my list of wonderful things for some time now. I sew most of my bear bits on the machine too...and I use stacks of extra reference points to make sure I don't get twisting, but even with pinning it's sometimes hard to get it exact. I have no idea how you manage without pinning...you're my new hero! bear_original

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hayley, I bought an old Singer (which was set up JUST for me) from a chap called Merv @ www.sewingonline.co.uk - he will be able to help you - tell him 'beary Clare' sent you!!  Soooo helpful!!   Ask for Dawn or Merv.   They carry loads of spare parts for the older machines.   

And Dilu, well, that honey hubby, he's done you proud!!   You must be over the moon!!   What a beautiful machine!!!  Can't wait to see those beautiful Gollies!!   :hug:  :hug:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Ooooooh, Dilu....thank you so much.  Beauty she is.  Have you named her yet?  I know I sound like a silly old fool but I just think they need names. 

I REEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY want one now!!!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Karen,

Thank you so much for that.  I'd heard from somewhere that perhaps it was my tension????? I have no earthly idea what it could be.  Sometimes it happens, others it doesn't, and just seems to like to spring up out of nowhere!  ARGH!! lol  It IS an older machine, and my stepmother's, so I know very little about it.  I borrowed it a long time ago and still have and use it.  I try to practice on my stitches a little each wekk, just trying to get my lines and whatnot more smooth and fluid.  I think I'm making a little progress!  bear_thumb lol

Kimberly W.

Hayley,

I know you can get new belts on e-bay, here's one place I checked out because I wanted to get bobbins for the featherweight

http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland.com … age47.html

Kimberly, one thing that new sewers do that gets them the rats nest mess underneath is so simple you will hit your head, they start sewing but the needle isn't directly over the fabric so the thread gets tangled down below.

Try holding the ends of the bobbin and top thread in your right hand while gently starting the foot pedle going....it takes a little practice but will save you tons of tears in the long run.

Pretend the foot pedal is the gas on your car....gently not stomp and go.....give it a go though maybe that will help....I hope....

Oh Renae!!!  I remember.....and it was hard for those of us who are impatient and wanted to get going.  I didn't like to pre wash because it took out the sizing and the fabric just didn't look as good.  They have certainly come a long way with fabrics.

Remember how frequently when you did prewash it would would be off grain and you woud have to stretch one side or the other.....and no matter what you did you couldn't get the fabric to lie straight, which made cutting a touch and go issue.....

I didn't want to take the selfsame class you are refering to....I mean why?  I already had to make all my clothes....so I wore a suit I had made, plaid and lined and button holes and everything else she could possibly have thought to teach....she excused me. 

I would have been bored to tears and probably would have been a disruption because of the boredom....we were to start on aprons.  Sigh.

So we both were happy with the bargain we struck....My mom was good about teaching me all those 'girl' skills.  She would simply die if she saw my house right now though....golly scraps from here to the bathroom....I do not know how she was such a neat sewer....course she wasn't making gollys now, was she? d020.gif

Renae, I have a surprise for you-but I'm not quite done....now little Miss Impatient you have to wait for the final details and the piccys...and maybe I'll slip it in an envelope..... a065.gif No, no one else knows....so you can't go bribing anyone..... g030.gif

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I started sewing on a machine because of the last daughter.  I was unable to hold a needle for any length of time BUT I could sew ion the machine.  Once the problem corrected itself I had a heap of bears to finish off!  I thought it was great.
I still hand sew the nose and paw pads although I  know some who can do the whole lot (kudos to you I just can't) on the machine except sewing the ears on.... although one lady I know makes the ears part of the pattern.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Dilu your machine's a beauty!!  What an awesome, awesome surprise for you!! (and I pin the same way you mentioned above bear_grin )

Not to sound like a dummy, but is the machine originally electric or was the motor added??  I have an antique singer that was my great grandmothers but I never even thought about "using" it because it's got one of those manual foot pedal/iron wheel tables.
Can that machine be adapted with a motor???  I just have it in my living room as an end table with the machine stored down inside.....

Kim,
The Joanne's fabric near me is always having a sewing class of some kind.  Maybe just one could help you step into machine sewing a little easier. I'd make sure that your machine is working properly too by having it looked at or "tuned up"; if it's not 100% it could be making things tougher for you.

~Chrissi  bear_flower

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

DILU--------------- First of all I'm mad at cosgan.de for not having a "green with envy" face. Oh QUY...... can you find us one???

I want to know if your dear hubby will hire out his services to find a good original feather weight, clean and oil it then ship it????? If he will please tell him I'd like to hire him ASAP!!! SERIOUSLY!!

Karen---------- I'm even more in awe of your work now that I know you don't even pin anything!

Kimberly------- This may sound dumb but is your bobbin right side up? Have you tried a new bobbin, wind thread on it and see if it works? My grandfather would have said "You gotta hold 'er mouth jist right, see, like this" and he'd make a funny face with his tongue sticking out.  bear_tongue  bear_wacko He was a farmer and a goof ball and I loved him to pieces! Also know that I'd never touched a sewing machine before I made my first bear 6 years ago. No one showed me how to sew on one... I just did it. Eventually I got the hang of it. Don't know if I'm doing it right but my seams are holding together and that's all that matters!!! You'll get it! Keep at it!!  bear_thumb

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

What a wonderful sewing machine Dilu - you have a wonderful husband.

I learnt how to sew on an old Singer my Mother had and you used your knee
to start the leaver that makes the  machine work.
It was a great old thing and was really beautiful and fun to use.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_shocked Just . . .

DROOL

bear_shocked

Dilu, that is one beautiful machine. Major  :hug:  to your Hubs!!

My Home Economics teacher gave up on me after I sewed an apron pocket upside down. Gruesome old bat, she was.

I hate pinning. When I first tried machine-sewing mohair, it slid all over the place. Now that I've got the hang of it, I use alligator clips or nothing. I use a pin to line up gusset tip with head-side nose, but then take it out.

Years ago I took a course in Tailoring . . . it was the usual bore, and there were not enough machines for everyone.  bear_angry

But the instructor made one comment that really stuck. He said that the most important tool we can have for machine sewing is a good pair of hands. You should have seen that man SEW!!

Board footer