Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Not your own personal nose but that of your friendly little bruin...  bear_grin   Do you prefer just plain beeswax or do you prefer the colored kinds (black, brown, etc.)?  I've already read all the posts on the subject of waxing noses and thought I'd give it a whirl myself.  Or...do you prefer some other method of "sealing" those snouts?

I'm just curious more than anything...

TTFN

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I too want to try nose waxing. I can't seem to find anywhere in the UK that supplies the coloured wax (ezy wax) so a friend in Oz is sending some over for me. I'll be giving it a whirl as soon as it arrives!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I use natural beeswax purchased from a candle making company.

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

I use natural beeswax too.  You can colour it using permanent felt pens such as Sharpies - one layer of wax, smooth it out, then add your colour (this way you can make subtle variations, maybe just colour the outer edges), and then another layer of wax.  I just work it in gently with finger and thumb - you can control the colour completely and there's no danger of messing up the surrounding fur.

Hugs,
Christine

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I've used both Ezy Wax and bees wax that I bought from a local bee-keepers society stall at a country fair. It smells fab!!

I like both but think I prefer the look of the bees-wax..I just paint on a layer or two and gently melt it with my hair-drier..it gives a nice soft look... I build up the layers till it's how I want it then I polish it with a bit of newspaper...but I am reliably informed that fax paper is good too...but I found it a bit scratchy...maybe I was doing it wrong!!!

EZY wax is good but not 'EZIER'!!!!!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Thank you ladies...beeswax it is!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm a little late chiming in here, but I'm with the majority of you.  I use beeswax and color with permanent markers.

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

I have been thinking about giving waxing a try.  When the weather gets warm does the wax on the nose feel sticky.  I also wondered and this is probably a silly question but how do you know when you're done waxing? 

Sandi

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

I rub the wax on & hit it with the hairdryer too. I like the look of beeswax. I have
not incorporated the markers WITH it - the waxing is usually my absolute last step -
but I do shade the outside edges of the nose if I am using a brown or pink thread for
the nose. So I like the subtle shading to show with natural wax. which I already had
on hand from the bead store, cause it is good for beading thread too  bear_thumb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I love beeswax! bear_wub

I melt beeswax in the microwave, then paint it on--not my idea, I learned it here on TT. The hot beeswax really sinks into the nose threads, and the whole schnozzle becomes hard and beautifully fragrant.

I've had a bear sitting in my front room through all this heat--my students like to play with him and smell his nose :crackup: --and the wax hasn't softened at all.

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Hi Shantell........I use the same method as Kim and Jenny.......beeswax and hairdryer.....the only thing I have noticed, when waxing pale coloured noses, is that the wax does take down the colour and make it darker!!!!!!

Anyway happy waxing!!!

Hugs,

Yvonne,

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

sandi wrote:

I have been thinking about giving waxing a try.  When the weather gets warm does the wax on the nose feel sticky.  I also wondered and this is probably a silly question but how do you know when you're done waxing? 

Sandi

It's HOT here in Texas and my bears' noses are a-ok.  You probably wouldn't want to leave a waxed nose closed up in a hot car for very long, though.  You will be done waxing when you've applied as many layers as to get the effect you want.  Some people put only 1-2 layers on . . . so that the threads show through the wax.  I usually add about 3-4 layers - mainly to build up the nose so that it has more dimension.  Have fun!

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Thanks, Sue Ann  I can't wait to give it a try.

Sandi

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Everyone.
I have the wax and I have not used it ..I was a little bit intimidated by the idea bear_ermm  You guys makes it sound, not that intimidating for me now! I some times give my bears' noses acrylic varnish, like the "nose" in the picture here ( the same one I used for my paintings ) I like the look but, I think I will get out my wax and see how it goes for me!! Wish me luck bear_thumb
Have a great week.
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower MVC-005F.jpg

Maria Go Moo's Toys
South Pasadena

Hi!  I just love waxing my noses.  I find it very easy using the kit I got from Imagination Institute (bought at a bear show).  It contains beeswax (in whatever color you like--brown black etc.), a small candle, and a cool tool for applying the wax.  You hold the tool over the candle and the wax comes out of the tip in a nice neat line as you "draw" on the lines of your nose.  The kit was only $6.50!  Maria Go of Moo's Toys bear_original   P.S.  How do you know when you're done waxing?  When there is no hair left!  Just kidding.  :crackup:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Because of this thread, I went out and looked for some bees wax. Last Sunday I found a lovely tub of fresh unadulterated bees wax. It smells so heavenly of the sweetest honey that now I'm rather inpatient to use it.
Wendy :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Question for you waxers (something I've never tried.)

Do you find that if the nose gets a hard knock, the wax cracks or flakes or chips?  I'm thinking of what happens to candles, for example, when they get stressed or dropped.

Just curious...

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I've only ever done the heated wax with a candle and the batik tools for the minis.......

For my larger bears I've been sealing the noses, but not yet with wax.

How do you use the wax if not melting it first?  Are you warming it in your fingers before rubbing it on the thread...does it pull at the stitches??  Thanks for any additional how to tips!
:hug:
~Chrissi

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website
Shelli wrote:

Question for you waxers (something I've never tried.)

Do you find that if the nose gets a hard knock, the wax cracks or flakes or chips?  I'm thinking of what happens to candles, for example, when they get stressed or dropped.

Just curious...

Hi Shelli

I wax most of my noses and so far I don't think there have been any problems.  My girls have a few of my bears that were not quite as "blessed"  bear_sad as some of the others and as you can imagine they have been through the mill a bit.  I don't think it should chip because the wax is really soaked into the fibres so it's not a solid mass of wax, it's more a blend of the two.

Also I recently had one of my bears returned to me for repair after an unfortunate run in with the house sitters puppy - guess who came off worse?  I think he'd had a go at the nose and then opted for the softer woolfelt of his paw pad.  His nose was all mis-shapen and well ....chewed.  All I had to do was reheat it and push everything back in place, add a little more wax and polish.  Because the nose had been waxed he wasn't able to get at the individual threads. bear_original

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Wondering if anyone has noticed their waxed noses changing color or lightening after a while?  I use beeswax on my bears and a couple of them have "aged" over time.  It doesn't bother me, but maybe they need to be sealed after waxing?

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Lovely big puppy nose, Lisa!

I've been afraid that just rubbing the wax on would mess up the threads. No? bear_ermm

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

There was also the trick where the embroidery thread is run along a block of wax and then used for the embroidery. I could see adding wax by rubbing after that would work really well. I'm not sure how Lisa has done her doggy noses though.
Great!!! noses by the way Lisa!
I'm also eager to hear your trick Lisa.(big grin)
Wendy bear_thumb

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Well my bunnies usually don't have much of a nose to wax.

But the bears I usually use plain ole' beeswax. I put a layer or two on and polish it with plain white paper.
If it needs a bit o' colour I use a sharpie or another marker that I have handy.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

calimere64qe.jpg

So far, I have waxed only one nose... with beeswax. I used a paintbrush to do it. I first melted a bit of wax in my oven, then applied some on the nose of my bear. It first looked very bad and I paniqued. I took a few minutes to think about what I could do and finally got to a clever idea by my own  bear_thumb : I thought that it would be possible to re-heat the nose with a air-dryer and then I could paint the wax more evenly on the whole nose surface. Thanks God it worked fine!

The wax I used was from a old beeswax candle and I decided that instead of continuing to shorten the bottom of this poor candle I had better find some new beeswax.
So this morning I went to the market and found a young lady selling lots of honey etc so i asked her if she had some beeswax. she said she only had a very small amount left at home. I said her I need only a little so that would be fine. I will have it on friday. Yeppee! So the old candle will do be totally destructed and will still be able to be used as a candle, he he he!

To the people who would like their waxed noses to have a special smell i suppose it is possible to add some extra perfume. I would buy some bottle of essential oil of the wanted perfume and put a tiny droplet in the melt wax before applying it on the nose.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I find that the natural honey oder that is left in the wax to be enough for me.

Board footer