Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Irene Irenours-bears
France

I bought some bears wich are not made by big name bearmakers. Do you buy bears only from well known bearmakers? My thought is if we all do so, how does someone will have the possibility to became a NAME on bearworld? Hope my question make sens  bear_grin

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

If a bear appeals to me, (and I can afford it) I will buy the bear from anyone, name known or not.................
Ellen  bear_wub   bear_smile  bear_flower

Deb Upstate New York
Irene wrote:

Do you buy bears only from well known bearmakers?

Heavens no.  Budget doesn't allow that.

Irene wrote:

... how does someone will have the possibility to became a NAME on bearworld?

Talent, appeal, exposure.

:hug:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Irene, I buy what appeals and what is affordable.  bear_original

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I haven't been buying bears for long........it's Shantell's fault really, as I started with an Apple Dumpling, and now I'm addicted bear_grin  bear_tongue .........but I buy bears that strike a cord somewhere inside.  Doesn't matter how well known the artist is.  If I fall in love with the bear, I try to purchase it. bear_wub  bear_wub

bear_wub &  :hug:
Tracy

mwaggs2 Quilts-N-Critters
Middletown, Ohio
Website

If I like it, and can afford it. I Buy it.
Doesn't matter who made it. But the quality must be good.
Marilyn

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Same: if the bears is appealing and I can afford him, I buy him, whoever the bear maker is!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
Tracy wrote:

I haven't been buying bears for long........it's Shantell's fault really, as I started with an Apple Dumpling, and now I'm addicted bear_grin  :P

I get blamed for EVERYTHING... :crackup:  :crackup:  (in this case it's a good thing).

But, in answer to the question....no, I buy bears that I'm drawn to...it doesn't matter who the artist is. 

Buy what you like...who cares who made it if YOU love it.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I've only bought one bear, our own Krista. She wasn't even selling on ebay yet and I was happy to support her.

I agree with you though, it would be nice if people just bought with their heart, not the head.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Tracy wrote:
I haven't been buying bears for long........it's Shantell's fault really, as I started with an Apple Dumpling, and now I'm addicted   

Shantell wrote:

I get blamed for EVERYTHING...     (in this case it's a good thing)

And well you should, missy!!! bear_grin  See what you've done to me!!! :crackup:  :hug:  :hug:

knuffelbear Claudia's Knuffelbaeren
Heinsberg
lapousmor wrote:

Same: if the bears is appealing and I can afford him, I buy him, whoever the bear maker is!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

That's what I do too.

It must be Love at first sight  bear_wub  and affordable  bear_grin

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

I have four bears in my collection. I got them from artists here on TT because I admire their work. I had to save money to buy them and they are really worth every penny! They make me happy!
If I won the lottery, the first place I would spend money would be here! There are so many talented artists here....I would go broke!
JeannieB bear_original

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Hi Irene,

I've been collecting for years and a lot of bears in my collection have been swaps at shows from what you might call "unknown Artists".

Some my hubby has bought (like my Steiff's) but when it comes to bears he doesn't seem to have his "man ears" on, he always manages to pick up on my current bear love!  :pray: Thank heavens!

Teddies are tactile, so I tend to buy a lot by touch. Unless I know the quality of an artist's work, I won't buy sight unseen, so I'm not an Ebay collector.

When I do buy over the net, I will generally go to the Artist's website to purchase. Wouldn't be adverse to purchasing through TT.

I guess you would say... appeal is first on my agenda, quality of workmanship second, price doesn't matter so much, because if I love a bear enough, I'll find a way to have it!

:hug:
Sandi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My collection is small because the funny-money usually isn't there to splurge.  But when I see something with that "Gotta have it!" quality, it comes home with me if/when I can manage it, no matter who the maker.  I've bought several pieces via secondary market as well, so I don't shop for only what's new.  And I have a few pieces I know are artist-finished, vs. artist-made (i.e. the artist used hired help for some of the work.)  Also, my collection doesn't have a "theme", like contemporary vs. vintage vs. white, etc.  I just like what I like!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yep, it's the emotional appeal the work has . . . whether it's by a known or unknown artist.

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Oh note that i don't want to be a "big name",because it could bring some stress and pressure that i don't want in my life bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin I asked this question here because i have 2 customers who bought me 5 bears for one and 4 bears the other. I thought: hey, i'm nothing in the bearworld and there are so much bears to be selling by ebay, events, shops,etc... I feel like they give me a chance to grow in my bear making addict bear_grin  Same thing Jeannie, if only i could won a lotterie!!!hmmmm, the only thing is the fact that i don't play it bear_grin I also agree about the quality, sometimes, you can be surprised. I bought a bear from a french bearmaker after seeing it on photo and it so badly made that i just smile when i look him bear_original  If you want i will send you a photo just for fun :crackup:  :crackup: Thank you for all your answers. Oh can someone tell me how you highlight the a part of a message when you want to answer?  :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I buy bears that just have to come and live at my house or else my brain won't stop on at me till I let them...

I don't mind who made them...

Irene Irenours-bears
France

PICT0003.JPGPICT0002.JPGHere is the poorly made bear i talked about :lol:
first photo is the profile with a dangled head.
This is the lower head where the head meet the body. I should be impossible to see this seam because it must be kept between the 2 cardboards.

Board footer