Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I know this may seem like a weird topic, but I want to know what characteristics you use to determine whether your bear is a boy or a girl.   

Eg. whether it is length of nose, eye placement,  ear placement, shape of head or muzzle.

I seem to find it challenging to create girl bears.

Look forward to hearing your methods.  Or maybe this has been a topic discussed in the past. ?  bear_ermm

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

For me, it's just the "general look" of the bear when it's finished . . . I'm not sure there is one specific attribute that says "I'm a girl", or "I'm a boy".  Occasionally, the color of the mohair will influence my gender decision . . . such as a pink color will usually be a girl.  Also, so far, all the "all fours" or more realistic bears have been boys because they just 'look' more masculine.  Other than that, I'm pretty much flexible in my reasons for designating males and females!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I always aim for 'dainty' features when trying to make a girl bear... doesn't always work out! When I make girl bears the muzzle is usually shorter or comes to more of a point, embroidered nose is small. I use small eyes, set fairly close together. Ears are usually small, often set higher on the head. But mosly I'd say it's all just by chance if I get a girl bear. I've tried for girls in the past... even made a lavender mohair bear once, meant to be a girl of course, but no matter what I did she had a very male face. So, I made a hat with a veil for he/she to wear.... with the pearls, bouquet in hand, etc. you'd never know the diffrence... even stitched the veil down!! She sold fast! Go figure!!:lol:

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

Its same here, the general look. So far all my bears have been boys... :P

But Im making a girl now, and it WILL be a girl, cause Im gonna put a dress on her.. Hopefully she will look like a girl too! lol

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hehehe Jossan, your dressed bear could be an adorable cross dressing bear LOL Now that WOULD be different  bear_grin bear_grin

I'm with Jossan, EVERY single bear I've ever made have been boys...... Oh well, I'll have to attempt a girl won't I?!?!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

If you look at my avatar you will see that the bear is definitely a girl. Look at the bear below, which was made from the same pattern and you will see it is definitely a boy. I made the nose larger on the boy and made the filtrum line a little longer than the girl bear's.
corkydinkydoodle1.jpg

Jane

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Cute, cute Jane!  By the way, how are you feeling?

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks for sharing your idea's girls, I thought it was just me having this issue. 

Daphne you made me laugh 

So, I made a hat with a veil for he/she to wear.... with the pearls, bouquet in hand, etc. you'd never know the diffrence... even stitched the veil down!! She sold fast! Go figure!!

Cute bear Jane, thanks for sharing.

I am in the final stages of making my girl bear at the moment, so any more ideas shoot them this way.   Thanks bear_original

BethBear Posts: 27

I agree, it is much harder for me to "birth" girls.  When I first started, I did not care but now I work at girls.  I guess it is more ear placement.  On my bears, highly placed and larger ears look stronger, thus a boy look.  I used to think only artists noticed the gender but I have had several customers that, when choosing a bear, definitely noticed a difference even though I thought the frills would be girly.  I was shocked when one giggling customer asked if the bear was gay!  Mud on the face there.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Jane Jane Jane he is to to to to  cute.  What a whimsicle expression.

Karen you little gal looks like a little gal- really cute.

I hold my bears or gollys up and we debate the sex before they have eyes or mouth but they are stuffed and jointed.

If I can't be sure after debating with the motely crew then I drag my honey into the debate....

tonight He looked at one of the gollies and said "Oh a girl for sure, she got girl hips!"

hmmmmmInteresting observation

Dilu

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I agree, I didn't worry to much about the first few bears I made, but I also noticed a trend they were all boys.

Yeah it is a hard one, I love your debating the sex of each one  Dilu, girl hips :lol:

I think a shorter muzzle, smaller eyes, leaner arms and legs, and ear placement, picking delicate  accessories, clothing  and mohair colours does it for a girl.

Australia

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to pop this topic up again.  I just thought I'd reply to this thread, rather than starting a whole new topic.

I have never made a girl bear, until today!!  I finished my first little girl, I named her Rose (Yes, not original, but I love the name, so what the         hay!)

Here she is:
rose1.jpg

Just thought I'd share!
Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Wow Danni, Rose is cute girl bear ! bear_laugh

clare14 Country Bears
England

Danni, Rose is beautiful!!   I love that fabric!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Beautiful bear, Danni bear_laugh , and definitely a girl!

Eileen

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Rose is very beautiful,I love her color bear_laugh I'm glad you shared ,great job bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_original
Hugs,Shari.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I think Rose suits her.  She is very pretty!

Jane

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

indysmall.JPGGood photo there Danni of your girl Rose well done, thanks for sharing.     Its not as easy as it seems sometimes. ;)

I am finally finally glad to have finished my latest girl, her name is "Indy" or maybe "indiana" I haven't decided yet.  I was trying to compliment her with some indian type jewellery.  I didn't have any feathers around at the time.   Then attaching the feathers was another topic on its own.  Anyway her she is.

Looking forward to some comments, does she look like a girl???

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Yes.a girl,very sweet indeed. bear_laugh Love her color and toes. I like her necklace it looks like flower petals or feathers.Very appealing.Great job bear_original bear_original bear_original
Blessings,Shari.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Karen,

Wow, she is adorable girl bear !!!
I vote for "Indy" (oops, only if you were asking....)

Thanks for sharing photo.
Hugs/Marie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Danni and Karen -- you Aussie goddesses, you -- both of those bears are adorable.  I love all those warm tones.

Australia

Thanks ladies for the sweet comments!!!!

I think Karen, your bear is a little girl, and such a sweetie!

Danni

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Beautiful little bear Karen...and I love the toes too! Definitely a girl....and I agree with Marie (again, if you were asking!)...that Indy is cutesy as a name.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Jane, Danni, Karen! Great and very sweet bears. Danni your little Rose is as sweet as can be. I love her warm tones as well and she is adorable. More Girls on the way?

Hugs louise

Australia

Definatly more girls on the way!  I am starting a purple bear today... so, I'm going to try extra hard to make her features feminine!

Danni

Board footer