Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey gals and guys.

I was searching the web for a picture of a felting needle to add my my website and I just stumbled across this site.

I haven't had time to check out the whole site, but this felted bird tutorial is amazing. Guess this was a bird on the whitehouse christmas tree.

http://gfwsheep.com/birdmaking/birdmaking1.html

I just havne't thought of felting this way. Something neat to try for my dragon wings......

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Heather, that's a great tutorial and full of photos.  Thanks so much for posting it for all our felters here.

bear_flower

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nice to have you back Shelli..........

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

HI Heather,

Yes, that technique is called 'wet felting' and it's something I just learned to do not long ago!  It's awesome!!!  You can make loads of stuff with that technique, and you don't have to 'stay flat', I got a book on making felted hats. Super cool!  Also, you can make dreads, etc with that wet felting technique.  I've made a few scarves and one 'test patch' to try out blending different colors.  Hold on, I'll take a pic of it.....

Kimberly W.

Ft. Bragg, NC

testfelt.jpg

Like I said, this was just a test piece to see if I could do it... lol

Kimberly W.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kimberly, that's soo cool!

That's pretty nice for a test piece.

Gonna have to try it myself now. Thanks for the pic.

Ft. Bragg, NC

Awesome!  Go for it, girl!  Oh btw... in my felting book, it said to use quite a bit of soap.  I did about 1 part of dish soap to about 4 parts water, and it worked WAY better than just using a bit of soap.  The soap changes the ph, and it's what causes the wool to begin felting into itself, so if you only use a touch of soap, you'll be working it forever!

Kimberly W.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Such great information Heather - thank you for letting us all know about it.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks for sharing this with us Heather.  bear_original

Ft. Bragg, NC

Hey Renae,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back; I forgot about this post!!! lol  :doh:

The wool is dyed prior to doing any of the felting.  It wasn't dyed by me, I bought it dyed those colors and just kind of overlapped the colors as I went along.  It's really easy and fun!

Kimberly W.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Great information, thanks so much for the link. I will have to try this soon. Hats, shoes, animals etc. the list is endless to what we could make with the felt.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

thankyou for that Heather. Great ideas!!!!!!!!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Thank you Heather .......

WA

Kimberly!!!! great felting. I tried to pre-felt some roving. Hoping it would be easier to NF with. But mine didnt turn out any where near as good as you have yours. Not that I was aiming to actually make a felted piece of cloth.
Did you use the bamboo mat to felt this with?  It will make great paws!!!
Wendy bear_thumb

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Thanks to Wendy , I stock the "wizpick" needles in South Africa and have got more involved with the needle felting from people wanting to see what I was doing, sitting with these needles poking away.
I was at a craft show a few days back and introduded the needles there and had the weaving guild next to me. This was interesting as they were carding wool and I learnt so much. It is amazing what one can do with the needle felting we even felted a teddybear onto a piece of patchwork material I will take a picture as I want to make up a kit. Below is a Panda kit that we had at the show.
PANDA.jpg

quilted.jpg
Picture of teddy  felted onto patchwork fabric ( I still have to make it into a cushion perhaps)
Lynette

WA

Love the felted patchwork bear Lynette. I have seen something similar for a wee babies blanket.
Teddy bears in any form are just lovely :hug:  bear_grin

Board footer