Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Those of you clever enough to scissor sculpt to perfection (Don't be shy - you know who you are). I'm going to embarrass myself with a stupid question :doh:

What do you use to hold your bears head while you work? assuming you use two hands to sculpt
Do you joint the head to the body before working or sculpt before jointing?
Do you use your knees to hold the head you work on - or have you some amazing heathrobinson device that does the trick?

Thanks in advance

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

bear_grin  Sandra, you made me chuckle!

I am a single handed scissor sculptor!  I hold the bear's head in my right hand and trim with my left (it's okay, don't worry, I'm left handed! bear_tongue )

Every so often I secure the head between my knees and do it that way too!  I find the knee way works well to make sure everything is level and symmetrical when I'm finishing off.  Mainly I use the 'knee vise' system when I'm inserting eyes and stitching noses.  bear_original

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Well, I have it easy Sandra... I have fairies and elves in my studio that hold the head and brush away the stray bits of fur as I snip!  Lucky me, huh?   bear_innocent  the nice thing is that the insist on NOT being given credit for all their help.  Just a spoon full of honey and a thimble full of milk from time to time and they are good to go!

Actually, I sit the head (not yet attached to the body) upon a large mason jar when I am working on a big one.... I sometimes use the "knee vice" like Paula too!  With the itty bitties it's not nearly so difficult.... the whole head can be managed between my thumb and forefinger.

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

I wish that I had some fairies to help! bear_grin  bear_grin

I attach the head to the body before I sculpt the face.  I  stuff the body loosely, just enough to prop up the head, sculpt the face and then shape and finish the body.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original

Knees!!

bear_original

I park my scissors in a shirt pocket, and my needles in the leg of my jeans--it's very important not to get them mixed up :crackup:

Eileen wrote:

bear_original

Knees!!

bear_original

I park my scissors in a shirt pocket, and my needles in the leg of my jeans--it's very important not to get them mixed up :crackup:

Ooooooogh - potentially nasty  :crackup:

Thanks for the tips Ladies.  Much appreciated  :clap:  :clap:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use my tabletop and left hand to hold tight when I needle sculpt with my right hand... and for finishing touches, I do what Kim Basta does, and set the head onto the open top of a Mason jar.  Puts it at just the right height for detailing!

My knees, alas, play no part in my bearmaking.  It's too far down, working there, and I like things right in front of me!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Anything that's handy....I've actually used my teeth a time or two to hold a thread tight or whatnot.  I have a small Longaberger basket that my heads sit snuggly in for detail work...it's works nice for me.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have a huge church candle which I cover with a bit of tissue then ram the cotter pin into the wax...this holds it still if I want to use scissors and comb. Ordinarily I just use my hands and I work with a barbers comb, an eyelash comb and a sharp pair of scissors..along with a teazle brush.

I get my husband to push the eyes in sometimes...when I can't press hard enough and tighten ...and sometimes I get him to put his finger on the thread while I tighten the knot...he hates doing this as I always pinch his finger when I tighten...so he runs a mile when he sees me doing eyes.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I'm with Terrie.  I put the whole bear together first....stuffing and closing all seams.  This way I have the bear face right in front of me and I don't need a third hand.  There again, I mostly make larger sized bears.  Perhaps that makes a difference.  Then again, I do the same thing with my six inch bears and did so when I used to make even smaller bears. 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Thank you everyone for sharing your 'secrets'.

Your time and generosity are much appreciated. :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Jenny what a clever idea....and sounds like it would work a charm!

c014.gif

I was once using my teeth as a tool while working on a golly head, and broke off part of the tooth.  And they don't require scissor sculpting! 

"Hmmm," says the dentist, "Teeth are not a tool."

Want to bet?

i070.gif

Board footer