Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Jana Posts: 23

I have a what I believe is Dark Chocolate Mouton Fur to work with.

1). Is Mouton fur normally a very heavy back hide?  This one seems really heavy.

2.) Also, Is there another fur that this could be besides Mouton.  I have a mouton bear already and this looks just like if not similar to it,..........I just think the hide is so thick.

3.)What size bear do you recommend best for a heavy hide Mouton fur?  Larger? Will a larger bear turn easier?
I will line it also.

Thanks to everyone,..............I absolutly love this addiction Forum,..............I read and learn more than I am sewing lately.  I will have a few more questions when I get thiese answered...................

Jana G.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi Jana.

I'm by no means an expert on fur but I did make a mink bear and did a huge amount of study and research before attempting it, including taking Nancy Tillberg's real fur bearmaking class (online.)  One of the things I remember reading online and in Nancy's book, TEDDY BEARS WITH A PAST, which I also read!, is that moutin is VERY heavy and extremely difficult to work with, and not recommended as a "first real fur" teddy bear because it can be daunting and off putting.  However, Nancy has made mouton bears that are gorgeous, so it IS do-able with patience.

My first suggestion would be to seek out Nancy at one of her online "homes."  She runs KRANBEARY's http://www.kranbearys.com/ , her bear site; Bid4Bears, her auction site http://www.bid4bears.com/ ; and NORTH COUNTRY TEDDY BEARS http://www.northcountryteddybears.com , her umbrella site.  She also offers classes which you can click-thru and visit from some or all of those sites.

She's brilliant with real fur and very nice and helpful.

We have some real fur bearmakers here at TT and they're extraordinarily talented with those pelts!  But I don't recall hearing talk of mouton from any of them.

Anybody out there on this one???

My third suggestion is to THINK BIG for this fur type, if the pelt can withstand it.  You'll have a much easier time turning something larger, I would think.  I had a stink of a time turning a mink bear in about a 14 inch size, so I'd think bigger than that.  But on this point, I'm telling you more than I actually know...

Good luck to you and welcome to the forum!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Yep, you'll definitely want to go larger with mouton!  bear_thumb   Not only is mouton going to be hard to turn, you're going to find sewing to be much harder as well.  I attempted to get my sewing machine to take the brunt of the work...only to be told where I could stick it by my Singer  bear_ermm   That's okay, the sewing machine and I don't usually get along anyway.  You will need some sort of finger protection for handsewing, and be sure to use glovers (leather) needles for sewing. 

I've managed two mouton, and one persian lamb bears.  The mouton bears were by far the largest and heaviest I've ever done.  I sew my bears completely by hand, and to give you an idea of how difficult the mouton is, it takes me roughly two weeks to make a bear ......it took me two months to make the mouton bears!  I had to sew a little, and then give my fingers a break.  The fur is fabulous once you're finished, but if this is your first real fur bear, set the mouton aside, and try a few other bears from mink or muskrat to get an idea of what its like ...then come back to the mouton. 

And do contact Nancy Tillberg, she's fantastic for talking real fur teds!!!!   bear_thumb Welcome to Teddy Talk  :hug:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Yep Jana, I've only ever made 4 mouton bears and I'll never make another.  Those pelts are like sewing carpet !  A real killer on the fingers as Debbie said.  I would definately go with at least a 16 inch bear so you can turn those limbs etc.  Mink is much more user friendly for sure  bear_tongue  Have fun  bear_wacko

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I made a group of Mouton bears.... I actually like them alot. I enjoyed working with the fur when it came to trimming around the face, etc. Yes, it's got a very thick pelt but my Viking sewing machine handled it no problem.

My bears were about 14 inches tall, seemed to go together/turn/etc. with ease.

Here's a picture of one of my first ones (made many years ago!) Photo was digitally lightened... fur is really a darker chocolate color:
BrownSunTT.jpg

Jana Posts: 23

He's a Beauty!  Thanks
Jana

Board footer