Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Thank you ladies for all your help last night with advice.  I spent a great deal of time on the internet (the vet was closed) and decided the best chance the babies had was with their mother.  Skippy did return to her bed and stayed with them, however, God had other plans and the kittens didn't make it through the night.

I have been crying all morning and am simply heartbroken.  I just really believe something was wrong with them...I even suspect they may have been premature because they were very very tiny.  I think Skippy just didn't know what to do.  I'm not even sure if she is still pregnant with more.  She seems completely fine and acting like normal.

bear_cry   bear_cry   bear_cry    bear_cry   bear_cry   bear_cry   bear_cry   bear_cry   bear_cry

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh, Shantell, my heart is breaking for you and Skippy  bear_cry   bear_cry  It must be God's plan. Maybe she was so big because it was a "toxic" pregnancy and I'm sure she must have known there was something wrong with the babies. The kittens are safe and happy now though  bear_innocent    bear_cry   :hug:   :hug:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Oh Shantell you must be heartbroken !   bear_cry  bear_cry I'm sure Skippy knew something was wrong and you did the right thing letting her handle it, as hard as it must have been to watch .   :hug:  :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh Shantell,  bear_cry
I'm so sorry.  My heart just aches with saddness for you.  I was so excited yesterday afternoon when I peeked in and read that Skippy was having her babies.  I expected to wake up this morning to pictures and a head count......as I'm sure you were too. 
bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Warmest and biggest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

P.S.  Max sends a big sandpaper kiss and a neck snuggle.  bear_wub

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Awe Shantell,  I'm so sorry! :hug:

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Shantell,
This is one of the very very hard & painful aspects to our being guardians of 4-leggers. I know I have been thru this several times with our goats & it never gets easier. These sweet little kitten angels touched your life briefly, but they will always have a special place in your heart.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Hugs,

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Shantell, I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you. It is never easy when an animal passes away.  bear_cry  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_cry I'm so sorry to read this Shantell.  I too was expecting a kitty count, but if a momma kitty can't help the little ones make it, its better to let them go.  From what you've written I"m sure something was wrong.  I just hope Skippy is okay, poor girl  bear_cry

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks everyone.  I just can't believe how sad I feel.  Skippy seems to be her ol' self.  She has yet to return to the little bed this morning.   She knows...

I buried the wee ones in the garden beneath one of my butterfly bushes and am going to paint a little memory rock for them (that and so I remember later not to dig too deeply there).  They can chase the birds, bees and butterflies all the way over the rainbow bridge.

I'm watching Skippy for any signs of problems and if so then off we go to the vet.  I don't want to create anymore trauma for her until I have to....that and trying to catch her will be fun.  bear_original bear_original

Hugs...and thank you!!!

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry The poor little mites!  I'm so sorry Shantell! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

I've wondered if it was too soon for her to have more kittens and if they'd be healthy or not. But I know nothing about cats and kittens. Had this been a dog it would have definitely been too soon for puppies.

I'm sorry you've had to go through this heart ache. It's so painful and we're so helpless in those situations. Felines have great instincts. Good for you to trust Skippy's. You'd have grown even more attached had you tried to nurse them yourself and they still would likely have not made it through no fault of yours.

Painting a memory rock will be good therapy.

Huge Hugs,
Daphne

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_cry Shantell, I'm so sorry--you did all you could, and more.  :hug:

When a FurMom lets her babies get cold, it's often because she knows there's something very wrong with them.

I've tried so many times to save rejected baby gerbils, foster kittens, and even mice from my composter .  . .  they never make it.

I hope you and Skippy will both recover soon!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks again....I'm keeping a close eye on Skippy because I hadn't even thought of the toxemia issue.  She did venture back into the bed for awhile but is just pretty much laying low. 

Skippy and I both will be fine.   bear_thumb

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shantell,
     There is nothing more I can say but I'm so sorry.  Give Skippy a snuggle for me.  I just sent you a private message.
                                                                hugs,

Brenda

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

That is so sad, Shantell!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh gosh, Shantell . . . I'm so sorry!  I feel certain those little ones were doomed very early on, but it still hurts a lot to lose babies.  Big hugs to you and lots of snuggle-y pats for Skippy.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Willamette Valley Oregon

My last kitty post...but I had to share.

A little while ago I  peeked out the window to check on Skippy who has been laying in the flower bed and TWO little butterflies were dancing above her head as she slept in the sun!!!

bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh how wonderful, butterfly kittens  bear_wub   bear_wub
My hubbie who has loads of experience with farm cats and many litters wonders if these two were premature and she may carry the rest to term. I don't even know if this is possible, does anyone???

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

So sorry to hear about your kittens, Shantell.

What a lovely picture of Skippy with two butterflies dancing above her head while she slept.

Hugs
Carolyn

:hug:  bear_flower  :hug:

Willamette Valley Oregon
Shari wrote:

My hubbie who has loads of experience with farm cats and many litters wonders if these two were premature and she may carry the rest to term. I don't even know if this is possible, does anyone???

Actually, I did read and saved a great article last night that I found on feline birthing and I do believe that it is possible.  It has something to do with how their uterus is designed...so we may have babies later.   I'm just watching her for now...she doesn't seem to be in any kind of distress...just a lazy fat cat.

Renae wrote:

Will she let you rub her tummy?

Yeah right!!!!  Not on your life....unless I wear all leather and a full face helmet!!!!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Awwww, Shantell, I'm sooo sorry about the baby kitties. bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  :hug:

It's so sad to lose little fur-babies.  I'm glad Skippy is okay. maybe she will go ahead and have the rest in due time with no difficulties. fingers crossed.

:hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shantelli, honey I am sorry.  Poor babies, you and Skippy....she's gonna have all those hormones and want to nurse and not know what happened.

c023.gif

gollysorryhugs to you both with a tummy rub for Skippy, well, you too, honey d035.gif

dilu

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I am so very sorry and so very sad. I just got home from work and wanted to see how things went throughout the night. May GOD hold them in his loving hands.I am sure there was something wrong with the kitties . So sad,I am sorry . Wish I could hug you and drive away your pain.

Bear hugs.... Jodi

The butterfly angles is really something!!!!  You never know !!!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The poor little souls..and I hope Skippy is going to be fine...
Don't animals make you feel so humble..and tear your heart out at the same time...

It's so sad bear_cry

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

:hug:   Oh Shantell, I am SO sorry.  Hope you feel better soon

Danni

Pages:

Board footer