Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Sue Ann's post got me thinking about magazine advertising.  (and Sue Ann... I did see your ad in TBR and thought it was great!  Shelli's too!!)

I wanted to ask ... for those who DO advertise in the teddy mags... if you could only choose one of the magazines to place your ad in.... every once in a while... which would it be? 

Here's Sue Ann's partial post....

"I know advertising is expensive, but in my opinion, it is one of the most important - if not THE most important - ways to get your name and product in front of people.  If you don't advertise, don't attend shows, or don't have a website, teddy collectors aren't going to recognize you and your work.  When people see your name over and over, they are going to start paying attention.  The very first ad I put in Teddy Bear and Friends seven years ago resulted in about 10 phone calls from collectors and I sold out the whole edition of the bear that was advertised.  My little anime bear Beezley was advertised in the most recent issue of Teddy Bear Review and I got a call immediately from a lady in Connecticut who bought him.   If you can afford to advertise only occasionally and at the lowest price possible, it might help. "

Lom-Bear-di Cubs Ohio

My only concern about that would be phone calls at all hours.
It would be my luck my boys would be bickering in the background over a video game! LOL

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Lom-Bear-di Cubs wrote:

It would be my luck my boys would be bickering in the background over a video game!

That is and was my concern, too... and also the fact that my kids don't always even ANSWER the phone, much less with enthusiasm and a professional demeanor I'd want my "secretary" to use. 

So, fully realizing that I'd lose those potential customers who adopted via telephone ONLY -- and who did not have computer access of any kind, even just to peek at my website -- I went ahead and chose to only include my website contact information in my advertising copy, anyway.  That's a way around your concern, although an imperfect one.

Just a thought...

PS  I don't have either the new TB&F or the new TBR yet.  I swear, I get them after EVERYONE in the world!  I haven't even seen my own ad yet!  Laura, thanks for letting me know it ran!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have yet to run an ad.... but am considering the Who's Who issues of TB&F.
It's been my experience, from collectors and my workshop students as well as my personal choice, that most folks pick up TB&F over TBR.
Hmmmm..... perhaps someone else feels differently???

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've never, ever been to a bookstore that carried BOTH TB&F and TBR.  Our local Barnes & Noble was carrying TB&F for a while but stopped -- I'm told a move made by Barnes & Noble state-wide -- citing low sales. 

On two recent visits to San Francisco, I noticed the Union Square chi-chi BORDERS bookstore carried only TBR.   Our local TOWER BOOKS also carries only TBR.

I'd love to know where your friends go, Daphne, where they are actually afforded such a luxurious choice or one, the other, or both!  I've yet to find a single location to offer both magazines!  Perhaps the place to go for in-print magazine shopping is a bear shoppe...?

Whenever my ads run in the mags -- or when I'm otherwise published, like this year, when my nominated piece ran in the voting issue of TBR -- I want extra copies, which I use in an "in-print" scrapbook I've compiled.  Shelli's own personal "brag book."  It's very nice to look at when I need a little motivation to get going!

It is very tricky to get these extra issues at the newsstand directly, though, when each retailer only has one or two issues... and then, only offers one or the other of the magazines in question.

Go figure.

Laura... I'm trying to advertise everywhere, but it is very expensive even for the smaller sized ads, and so I can only afford (if that!) to advertise in one magazine at a time.  For no particular reason, I advertised last year, my first year, with TB&F. (Note that bulk rates for multiple ads are more cost-effective; you sign up for a "run" of advertising at the outset in contract form.)  This year,  I'm advertising with TBR.

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Thanks for your input Shelli & Daphne!  And Daphne... I used to only get TB&F cause it was SO much bigger.... but now i"m only getting TBR cause it's about the same size now and they had a special offer at the ABC show in Schaumburg.  Really need to subscribe to both... I do love them both :D

As for the issue of phone calls in the wee hours of the morning....
I"m just about to post a couple of options about that.....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shelli -
I used to get TB&F at Borders... I have a subscription now. I was there the other day and only saw TBR, however. I find it still thinner than TB&F, Laura, but maybe that was just this issue. TB&F always seems to have more 'eye candy'. Could just be me. I'll have to do some snooping at bookstore for both mags.
Are the advertising rate similar for both, Shelli?

Do you do any advertising locally or in other craft mags?
Daphne

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Thanks Daphne! 
Actually... TBR is a little more expensive I think...

For a little while there... TB&F appeared to have a little trouble getting the mag out on time.  I think that's why I let my subscription lapse...

Nope, I don't do any local advertisng.  This is my first "in person" thing.  Always did the internet before bear_original

Board footer