Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Just heard some sad news about Steve Irwin, was killed today by a Stingray.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=127456

Steve Irwin reportedly killed in freak accident
Monday Sep 4 14:00 AEST
By ninemsn staff writers

BREAKING NEWS: Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin is reportedly dead after being stung by a sting-ray during the filming of a new TV series.

The Courier Mail has reported the 43-year-old had a heart seizure after a sting-ray barb went through his chest off the Low Islands in North Queensland, near Port Douglas.

Irwin has been transported to Cairns Hospital.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Wow, that is sad news, my thoughts are with his loved ones. 

On the other hand though, I admit to a level of surprise that he's been around as long as he has, given all the dangerous situations he's put himself in over many, many years.

Best wishes,
Kelly

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Yes, I also agree a thrill seeker that doesn't mind putting his life in danger. :pray:

I just cannot believe it, so young and so sad for his lovely family. What a Tragedy.  :pray:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

That is very sad news...his wife is from Eugene, Oregon just 45 minutes south from me.

Sending prayers for his family.

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I feel so bad for his family.

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Ohhh - it is very sad news. He made some very
good series.

Can anyone explain what a stingray is?

Densteds Densteds
Website

I couldn't quite believe because string rays aren't aggressive creatures!!

Apparently his wife doesn't know yet, she's trekking at Cradle Mountain in Tasmania...wouldn't have thought the media would broadcast it before she'd been notified....poor man, what a horrible way to go, very sad for his wife & his young children have lost their dad.

K Pawz Guest

I just heard this on the news here!!! I am shocked...he seemed like a super hero, with all of the crazy stuff he did! thoughts and prayers go out to his family....

Krista

they are saying on the news that she has been informed, so hopefully she knew before they broadcast it...

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

It was just on the news...unbelievable.....What a sad day for everyone..especially his family...He was a great guy.

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

oh no ,i`m gutted, i love him , thought he was great.How sad for his family. bear_cry  bear_cry

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My kids will be devastated.  We loved him.  Poor Terry and their kids...  bear_sad

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

He made such a huge 

impact

on lots of people.
A great loss to the world.  My kids were just stunned.
hugs Lisa

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh no I can't believe it...that wonderful, crazy, lovable guy. How very sad for his family, his wife will be devastated as will all the people who have know Steve. A very sad and tragic loss of a wonderful and very individual Guy. My heart breaks to think that he was lost to a usually non aggressive creature after all the crazy but wonderful times I've watched him doing far more dangerous things with far more aggressive animals. So very, very sad.

0409_irwin2_g.jpg

Hugs Jane.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I didnt hear the news until about 2pm. I am utterly stunned. When I think of his children I just burst into tears bear_cry poor little buggas are going to be devastated.
He didnt have a chance. Poor guy. It was the freakiest of accidents. To be stung by a stingray is very rare, but to be hit in the chest with its barb is just the rarest of rarest of happenings. He just didnt have a chance for survival.
I'm in utter shock bear_cry
When you think of Steve Erwin, you picture a guy who on his 100th birthday, wrestling with the very first croc he ever caught. Both toothless and  looking like handbags.  bear_grin
What a shame. What a deep deep shame. bear_cry
Big hugs and condolences to his family :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Oh, no! My whole family loved watching Steve Irwin, and admired all he did for wild things. His poor wife and babies bear_cry

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

I was really hoping this was a hoax or mistake.

His love & enthusiasm was so big, it was impossible to not get excited
about stuff right along with him. He had so many more years to teach &
work, & he had already done so much for animals. I'm heartbroken about this.

I feel so bad for his family. I can't imagine what they must be feeling.

He was really one of the good guys.

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

So very sad - my condolences to his friends and his family.

He was very enthusiastic and he got people interested in wildlife - no mean feat in this day and age.

His daughter will come to remember the good times they had on trips together etc,  His son sadly didn't have much time to get to know him at all.....................

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I actually heard it here last night. it is on the news this morning.  Im so sad! bear_cry

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Our deepest sympathy for Terri, Bindi Sue and little Bob!  :pray:
How tragic! He will be missed bear_cry
           JeannieB

knuffelbear Claudia's Knuffelbaeren
Heinsberg

Oh my gosh!   bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  First I thought I am wrong ... but it's true! We really loved Steve and his work with all those animals He did such a good work ! 

Our deepest sympathy for Terri, Bindi Sue and little Bob  :pray:

Athina Posts: 17

It's Just Sad! But, At least he was living his dream.
Prayers to Terry and his children

dawn

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

oh, no.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  This is heartbreaking news. I feel like I have lost a friend.
My deepest, heartfelt sympathies go out to his family, especially Terry and his children. Sooo sad.
At least he did die doing what he loved and made a difference while he was here.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

A huge loss - I'm so sorry!   bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Pipa UK

Yep such sad news today!! He had a vast amount of knowledge about the animal kingdom, tragic loss to his family who i am sure will be devastated, Him & Terry always seemed like such a very very close loving couple and the same with his 2 children, So sad !!!!!

Board footer