Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

This is my first post in a couple of weeks, since we actually moved into our house - I am beyond frustrated!!!!!  Well, I will be carried out of this house in a pine box because I will never move again.  I am struggling so hard to unpack and I'm losing - for all of you who said  "I love unpacking and finding new homes for things" - this is me giving you a raspberry! 
     I am beginning to understand that what I struggle with is almost a visual dyslexia for large areas.  I have always found large spaces visually difficult, which is why I refused to learn to drive.  I knew I could never process all the visual stimulation. 
        Today, I unpacked a totally smushed dried flower arrangement  - I took it all apart, rewired the roses, washed the eucalyptus, and even ironed (yes, you heard me - I ironed the the silver dollar dried flowers).  I put the arrangement back together and it looks beautiful and I loved every minute of it..  What I can't do is figure out where to put the damned thing - it is honestly beyond my visual capabilities.  The only things I have managed to put away, are things that I have found exact corresponding places to our last home.  I had even taken pictures of our curio cabinets, so I would be able to put them back the way they were.  Everything else is still in boxes and I don't think they are going to be unpacked any time soon.  I don't even have the bedroom together and we can't find the computer monitors, so no internet as well.  Anyway, I am only at my daughters for a little while - I probably won't be able to read any replies, even if I get them.  I just needed to vent and scream before I lose it altogether. 

hugs,

Brenda

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh Brenda, I'm so sorry to hear of your frustration. Can you get your daughter or a friend to help give advise as you unpack? It could be a fun little game to see where your friend (or friends) would put things. Big hugs of comfort coming your way  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Hi Shari,
     I guess that's part of the problem - my daughter works long hours and when she is home, she has Corson.  Adding a 2 year old to the mix, would not be a help right now.  I don't know anyone else here.  Hubby is also at work and will be away for a good part of next week.  We are leaving on holidays Sept 17th for 5 days and when we get back we are supposed to have company, but I am going to have to cancel.  There is no way the house will be ready for company.  I really don't know what to do. 

hugs,

Brenda

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh, I wish I could come and help  bear_cry  Maybe the other gals will have a good solution  :hug:  :hug:

sarahjane Brisbane

Brenda you could try my method of unpacking which involves emptying all the boxes (utter chos) then shoving it all anywhere (so it's tidy) then slowly over a few weeks moving everything into the spots they suit best....works for me.. :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Deep breath, Brenda.   bear_original  bear_flower  bear_flower
It's a daunting task for ADD'ers and all those boxes.  Place your biggest pieces first and work from there.  That's what I do and it makes things so much easier.  It still takes me forever to place everything else.  I tend to over analyze every little detail.  Moving into homes that have larger spaces or higher ceilings don't help either.  I feel for you.  Been there.....still struggling with my tall, wide and deeeep fireplace mantel.

Warmest and biggest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

My sympathies are with you Brenda -I'm still not all unpacked and we moved FIVE years ago!!! My suggestion is to just work on a box at a time and repack anything that you can't find a spot for - and if it's something that you don't really need or want then have a garage sale in the spring. I find the worst part is remembering where you do put everything - I can still picture in my mind where each thing was in the old house in St. Albert but now I spend days hunting for things here - sometimes not even sure if I still have them or sold them in the garage sale before we left - although lots of stuff I've found when hunting for the next unlocatable item! Anyway, don't stress over it - just do what you can, a little bit a time. As for the company if it is people you really want to see have them come anyway - I'm sure they won't care if things aren't all totally organized yet - I would hope they are coming to see YOU not to be critical of your house and unpacking!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh Brenda!!!!  I think I was one of those meanies that said that I "like to unpack and find new homes for everything!"  Okay... I'll take my raspberry!   bear_tongue  bear_wub  I do feel your pain!  And I'll be honest... I said the excat same thing after our whole ordeal with selling our old home/buying the new one/moving and unpacking..... "I'll DIE in this house before I do THIS again!!!"  bear_angry  And my supersticious husband made me add.... "but not for at least 50 years" to that comment.   bear_innocent

It WILL all come together... I promise!\

I am a habitual rearranger of furniture and objects... on at least a monthly basis... so NOTHING is ever set in stone here... it's always in state of constant flux.  Is there ever ONE right place for each thing?  Not in my world either!  It drive the husband batty... he comes from a home where the spatulas stay in a certain drawer come hell or high water!  For me... you could find a spatula just about ANYWHERE~!!!!   bear_wacko

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Dear!!! a194.gif Great Big Golly Hugs and SlobberKisses to you...Yeah I know, they are rare but messy, and meant to bring a smile to your poor tired little face.

You'll get it done, love, you really will.......

Congratulations in being in the new house!!!

dilu

a200.gif

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I totally feel for you!!!  we moved 3 years ago into our first house and my hub said on the first day "hope you really like this house, cause we ain't ever doing this again!"  We didn't have half of the stuff we have now.  What helps me in the room is to start with the big items, don't even think about the knick knacks at this point.  Get the big stuff where it goes and then work down.  For pictures/artwork/mirrors, etc....I trace the item on paper (use food bags if you have to) and stick the stuff to the walls before trying to hold, hammer, move around.  I had these "shadow images" up for days, rearranging until I got it all to where I liked it. 
Putting that arrangement back together sounded very theraputic.  bear_original

:hug:
~Chrissi

Just leaving for home, and thought I'd check to see if anyone has any brilliant ideas.  Actually, I'm getting really good at stepping over the stuff where it is, without banging it, even in the dark, so maybe I'll just consider the house finished. 

Kim. I think that's a lot of my problem.  I want everything to stay exactly the same, forever and it obviously can't in a new house.  When I find a home for something, nothing will make me move it - it will be there when I die.  That's what makes it so difficult for me to find "new" homes for everything.  Oh well, I have to go.  Take care everyone.

hugs,

Brenda

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio

Maybe it would help if you didn't try to decorate thinking of large spaces but instead worked one-shelf or one arrangement at a time. Just about anything looks good on a shelf if it's the only thing there -- if you watch enough home-and-garden TV you notice that. Unfortunately, I'm a clutter fanatic so that Zen "two orchids and a rock" look is out except for the first few days of unpacking.

Don't try to unpack the whole house at once -- you won't be able to tell if you are making progress. Just try to clean out the boxes in one room at a time - even if that means marking the boxes for later and moving them into a closet.

Remember, Step One in moving isn't "Unpack all the Boxes", it's "Make the Place Liveable".

-- Erika
Fuzzbutt Bears

(I've moved every 2-5 years since birth. I've gotten pretty good at packing and unpacking, but the rest of the experience still sucks. It's been 6 years in Columbus (3 apartments, 1 house) and I still haven't found a hairdresser.)

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

And number one, Brenda, get the computer up and running - we miss your posts!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Brenda,

Thinking of you and know how hard it is when you have a sea of boxes in front of you and finding places for everything!
It does take time and just concentrate on one room at a time - leave all the boxes in one room and shut the door.
I wish I lived near and would be happy to give you a hand - best of luck.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Oh, Brenda, I truly feel for you. I moved just a couple months ago. As much as I hate packing everything up, unpacking is the real nightmare! I've been in this house for 3 months and the only things that got put in proper places are the dishes and clothes. I have no clue what to do with the rest. I've finally moved the remaining boxes to the basement where I bet they stay for a very long time! Okay, I'm sorry, I am no help at all! At least you know you're not alone. bear_original

Board footer