Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Vicki-Lynn Smith Bearlyville Bears
Sydney

Can anyone help? I would like to buy a bear that really has that aweful old smell. It is stuffed with excelsior and is a Chinese bear. Can anyone suggest how to remove it?
Thanks
Vicki

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I have the same problem with a 1950 or so bear I've bought on ebay which smells an awful and persistant smell of tobacco... I've put him out for days and the smell is still there...
Maybe with one of the products that are mean to get rid of smells like Febreze or so ?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Apparently misting with white vinegar is a good odour remover and should be harmless to mohair....but I can't vouch for it as I ain't tried it myself!!!! bear_wacko

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

For a real fur coat that I was making a bear out of, I sprayed Febreeze on it, left it outside for a day, then I put it in a bag with a lavendar sachet. I also stuffed the bear witht he lavendar when it was made. The remainder of the coat that I still have no longer smells.

The lavendar and Febreeze was suggested by a dry cleaning business to get the moth ball smell out of the coat. Good luck!
:hug: pandamac

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have been trying to get the stink out of starfish that I bought for accessories to a bear (not sure what I am going to make yet) and one day I got itching to use them... i took them out of their package from the store (Michael's) and they had the most horrendous odor! BLEECH! I put them in a ziplock bag with dryer sheets for about two months and now they are fine bear_original  I know it isnt the same thing but EEWWW...

I would suggest either febreeze, oust or dryer sheets in a baggie with them (make sure they are used ones - dont want the bear to get sticky)

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Try putting the bear in a paper bag.  Then put the paper bag inside a plastic bag with charcoal.  Make sure that the bear inside the paperbag will not come in contact with the charcoal (you don't want him black) and seal up the plastic bag.  Let it sit for a few months and the charcoal will absorb the odor.
Donna

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Vicki,

I've had a lot of luck with alcohol--not the stuff from the drug store, but methyl hydrate from the hardware store. All it takes is one quick rub down, followed by air-drying. When the alcohol evaporates, it takes just about all the nastiness with it, and leaves the fur soft and shiny. It shouldn't harm fur or mohair, but just to be safe, I'd test on a small spot first.

Eileen

Vicki-Lynn Smith Bearlyville Bears
Sydney

:clap: Thanks so much for all your suggestions- can't hurt to try. If it works then it has been worth it otherwise my other bears will end up smelly to.
Hugs & thanks
Vicki

Board footer