Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Why do I need to know this??? Because I've decided to say NO to anyone wanting a dog made by me... with the exception of a couple of breeds I'm comfortable making.

I get asked quite often to make a specific breed of dog in a life like manner. I'd like to have a list of artists that I can send these folks to. I know about Lisa Pay and Mary H... but I'd also like to have a list of us 'regular' folk who might charge an affordable amount of money for our dogs. (Absolutely NO offense to these very talented ladies who fetch huge amounts for their dogs.... more power to them!) I know, I ought to learn to make breed dogs myself... there is certainly a lot of money in it. But believe me, I've tried and am never happy with how they come out.

So.... who is willing to be on the list of 'dog artists' making realistic looking dogs... like say Great Danes and Newfies and Greyhounds.....

Anyone?

Please be sure to include your website or email if it's not under your avatar!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm simply trying to send business to my fellow TT artists!   bear_innocent

Hee Hee Hee!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

OK, yah, you got me!  :redface:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

No thank you bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hey, come on......

Keep it up and I'll pass the buck to anyone BUT you all!  bear_tongue

I'm not passing the buck... I'm learning to set priorities and say "NO"!!!

Just like Kimmie... good for you!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I've never made a dog... I wouldnt know where to start with a big fella like that!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Seriously.....

I have been asked to make a variety of breeds... some I'll do... most I CAN'T... I don't have it in me.
Yes, the great dane is one I just don't think I can do justice for.

I'd rather the guy be happy!

There are a few bear artists here in New England but I don't know any of them who do dogs so I'm asking all of you..... gathering a list.  With in a month I'll have been asked to make a specific breed of dog at least two more times. Those are orders some one of you could be getting.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue
bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad
bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

IM000472.JPGDaphne,

I have done several dogs in the past.  I have had people give me a picture of their dog for me to make a replica.  So I guess what I am saying is that I would at least be willing to consider doing more dogs.  This is a picture of a peke that I made last year.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'M not the one who should be dishing out the hugs my dear Erin!!!  bear_noexpression
I'm not the one picking on me!   bear_cry
But I'll accept your hugs as apology!  bear_tongue 
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Millie...

THANK YOU!!!

bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  And I'm sorry to say that I am NOT a dog maker either Daphne.....   bear_whistle

Seriously though folks, networking like this is a really good thing!  I know that it IS easier to say NO, when you can say, "Well, I can't really do it, but here is a website of someone I know that might be able to help you."  I've done that several times with requests for real fur bears, and for antique style bears as well.  I don't know if anything ever came of it, but it's a heck of a lot easier on my own "people pleasing conscience,"  and I'd like to think that for every collector dreaming of that special bear/dog/whatnot, that there is a bear artist who is just perfect for the job!   bear_smile  bear_smile

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Erin, I was thinking it might look good on you... then at least I'd have a face to put with your name!  :crackup:

OK, we're even.   bear_tongue  And no, I'm NOT calling you a dog!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kim Basta,
Thank you for finding the seriousness and good in my post...

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You guys are too funny!

Daph, good on ya for saying no. It's just not worth it.

Oh, and sorry, don't make dogs.  :crackup:

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Hi Daphne put me on your list.

I love doing dogs and would be interested if any further come along.  BUt a 2 foot tall great Dane is out of my scope at present.  I don't even know if the dog would cope with a trip back to, the USA.

But others yes I will do.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Daphne, You can add me too.. I don't do large breeds, but I have done a Chihuahua, several yorkies, maltese and a terrier mutt

heres a couple of the dogs I have done.

sunnieyorkie1.jpg
mitzi4.jpg
STUDLY12.jpgTessa5.jpg

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thank you, ladies. I'll put you on my "Makes Dogs" list!!  bear_thumb

No takers on the Great Dane, huh? Aren't going to let me off the hook, are ya???  bear_sad   bear_laugh

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I'll do them! 

Oh wait, I don't know how to make dogs, bears, gollies, etc.   Would that be a problem?   :crackup:  :crackup:

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oh dear Daphne  bear_grin
By the time I find the material, build the dog and then send it back over the money may make him faint.....
and to be honest I think I would either overcharge or undercharge on something that size!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Daphne,
     I've made Boston Terriers, Boxers and Mastiffs but they were all miniatures!   I could never make something two feel tall - yuck!

Hugs,

Brenda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, he didn't faint at my price.... which I thought for sure would turn him away.
Should have found out first that he owns the largest oriental rug business in my state and that money is no object.  :doh:

I keep looking at pictures of Great Danes... then looking at pictures of dogs made by various artists on the net... I think I can do this... sort of. It won't be totally realistic.... sort of a caricature dog. I've sent him photos of my work and described the best I can what it'll look like and highly encouraged him to go with a 14 -16" size. I gave him my final quote... now I just have to wait and see what he says!

Board footer