Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi everyone,

I know this is not teddy bear related but knowing how many creative souls are here I hope someone may be able to help me out.  It is my fiancees birthday coming up and I'm panicking about a present!!  I want to get a football (soccer!) shirt framed from the team he supports.  The problem is that I reckon a normal frame squashes the t-shirt too much so it needs to be built on at the back, i think these are often called shadow boxes in the US - often used for displaying all sorts of items.

I have asked in an art shop and they would charge a FORTUNE to frame it themselves, I was wondering if there is anyone I can add a backing to a normal frame to make it deeper!   Has anyone ever framed up t-shirts?  Any hints - pleeeeze  bear_ermm

THANKS HEAPS if anyone can offer suggestions,
Hugs
Catherine

Stellajella Wien

Hi Catherine,
how lucky I am that my boy fiend does not love soccer  :crackup:
I have never built such a box but whenever I think of frames and things and need one, I go to Ikea. They have these deep fames there so maybe you can adjust one.

Good luck!

Gaby bear_flower

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I've sent you an email. I used mounting board to make them. Its easy but hard to explain. The board is like your box/display area, the frame and glass the lid. E-mail if you need to know more! :hug:

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks everyone, Amanda I got your email and replied - great idea bear_original  I would love to know of any other simple ideas that do not require a degree in woodwork  :crackup:   I'm not sure how to fix the card 'box' to the frame so it is all secure enough.

I'm also not sure how I can secure the t-shirt nicely to the backing without damaging it!!

My brain has been fried today with 27c weather - we had frosts only last week!!  What a mixed up world we live in bear_original

Thanks again for all your help,
Catherine
x

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

teddytalk2.jpgteddytalk1.jpgCatherine, I've made lots of shadow boxes out of small frames for my bears and as Amanda says, it's easy but hard to explain.  I've attached a couple of pics that aren't great, but you can see what I do.  I don't leave the glass, but that's optional.  Because mine are small, I just use a ruler, xacto knife and some thin basswood from the doll shop.  I cut the pieces to the exact length needed, using measurements from the frame, build the box and line it with whatever fabric I want and then glue the box to the frame, using the indentation for the glass as my guide.   
     Maybe you could go to the craft shops and take a really good look at how they do it.  Obviously, you will need stronger wood and larger tools.  Can you tell a little "fib" and tell your fiance it's a gift for your dad and maybe he'll help you make one?  Or maybe your dad or a friend can help you put one together?  Good luck!

Hugs,

Brenda

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

The man who frames for me frames football shirts with glass front and back - so that the player name and number are just as visible as the team/country badge on the front. A bespoke framer is often less expensive than framing in a craft shop - and they use acid free materials to prevent damage to the textile being framed.

Sandra  :redface:

Board footer