Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hello everyone!

Quick question for you all

My grandma is looking for a hobby, and she wants me to teach her bearmaking to see if she likes it. I feel very honored that we can spend this kind of time together. It makes her soo happy and it's a nice way to bond.

Now her and my grandpa had their own business making drapes, bedspreads etc. Very high end stuff ( Lucky me inherited all the business leftovers  bear_grin )So my grandma can sew, way better than me I'm sure. But I don't know how sewing a small bear will compare.

So what I'm wondering is, what is the best way to start with her? I have a pattern that is very simple, it was my 1st bear pattern as well. The bear is 10". I think that's a good size to start with, am I right?

I was also going to have a selection of sparse culry mohair for her to choose from, because I think that's the easiest to work with. Am I right?

But where do I start? With her cutting out the pattern i guess. Now I draw seam lines on my pieces to help me sew straight. Should I teach her to do that?

I guess I can teach her the way I do it, but I want to make this enjoyable for her. Who knows maybe one day I can invite her here to chat!

Phew! That was quite the ramble, thanks for those who are still reading and have suggestions to offer.

I know DAPHNE had given me some super awsome tips on teaching bear making classes, but I wonder if I should modify it for my grandma.

Thanks guys

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Aww Heather, that is so wonderful. You will one day really cherish the time you are able to spend with her now and she will cherish it as well.
My suggestion would be to make one at the same time with her. Only work on it when the two of you are working on them together. That way she can follow your lead and the 2 of you will be completing them at the same time. I tried to teach my daughter while she was visiting for a few days and she did great while I was here, but even though I wrote very good instructions for her includin g pictures, after she got it home, she hasn't finished it.  lol I wish we had spent a little more time together so she would have seen how it goes together from start to finish

Sonya

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

My sister's friend sort of wants to make a bear but doesn't have that much time to spend on them. I picked a simple pattern and mohair, laid it out and cut it and added seam lines, etc. She did the sewing and stuffing, etc. This way, she got a bear quickly and learned some skills. If she wants to continue then I'll start at the beginning. You might try that for your grandmother: give her the pieces all cut out and ready to sew for the first one and if she takes to it, give her the pattern next time!
Marion

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Yes having someone next to you making the same bear would be great, I wish I would have
had that!
I still consider myself a beginner I would get my info here on the board and tons of books!
And yes the mohair is easiest to sew esp. for a beginner!
You two will have tons of fun!  bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What a wonderful way to spend time with your Gram!  I think any way you choose to show her is what will work . . . as she already knows how to sew, you are way ahead in the process.  I'm sure she will love having you by her side as she learns!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

chris009av Real Deal Bears

I think that your grandma will treasure sharing something with you. So if you could sit beside her as others have suggested then she will absolutely love whatever she creates  bear_original

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks guys.
I think I'm going to make one with her and just have it cut out before hand.

I'll post a pic of her finished bear...........

Board footer