Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

clare14 Country Bears
England

I don't know if we've discussed this before, but I was thinking to add a picture  :photo:  of me (Eeek!!!)  to my website.   I love to see the 'face' behind the bears, could frighten everyone off!!   Do you have your picture on your website, or how do you feel about the subject??   :hug:

Stellajella Wien

Hi Clare,
my website is dreaming somewhere in my PC until it´ll be kissed and awakened by my boyfriend bear_grin  but if it were ready, I guess I put a photo of me in it.
It´s like: show me yours, I´ll show you mine :crackup: - I´am so nosey myself and it´s always nice to put faces to a name.

Gaby bear_flower

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL!!  Yes, I have a picture of my on my site... with one of my bears.  Actually... it's the one that you see when you hold your mouse over my avatar here on TT

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi, yes I have a pic of me on my about me page, I think customers like to see the face behind the creations!!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Mine is on my website also (and is also my pic on here) bear_original  Actually, I am thinking of updating them!

zemeski Posts: 434

Clare - Don't be silly! You are a lovely person and I think you should add a picture of yourself. I love seeing the person behind the creation of the bear. I didn't much like having my picture on the web-site either but after long thought I felt like I should. I thought people should see the face with the name. I don't know about you but I'm not good with names. I think having a picture and a name helps. I get confused here on TT all the time because their is so many artist I get them all confused. I'm thankful for the pictures, names, and teddy bear web-sites other wise I wouldn't make it on here. The same goes with teddy bear collectors. It can get confusing also. The face just helps with the old memory for me. So my advise would be go for it!!

bear_thumb

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

LOL...that's a very interesting question for me...since if you check out my web site...you see a picture of..."The Back of the Weavers" lol...I am the short one bear_whistle
Hugs,

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm nosey too and love to see what the artists look like.
I think it helps the perspective buyer become more personal with the artists somehow.
May not make or break a sale but I think it can have a wee bit of influence.... not in what you look like, mind you... just that it takes your work to a more intimate level if they can put a face with it.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

YES CLARE :hug:
Youve got a beautiful face, and its great to see the person behing the bears.... bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

JudiSherwoodCU2.jpgAbsolutely YES.  Put a photo on your website.  People want to see that your creations are made by a real person. 

I had some pictures taken professionally and my photographer talked me into using this photo for my website.  He said to always use a close up.  It will bring people closer to your personal space. 

SMILE.

It makes you more warm, freindly, and inviting.  I actually prefer the photo I used in the photo gallery here.  It is more of a side smile.  He said USE A FRONT HEAD SHOT.  Hover your mouse over my avatar to see the difference.  Both were taken at the same time.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

I think it's really important too Claire. I feel quite let down when I go to a bear artists website and there is no pic of them. In fact the 'About" page is the first page I visit so I know who I'm 'visiting with'.

I don't think there are many people who love their photo so much that they don't feel awkward about displaying it for all the world to see, but I think it's a necessary evil to make that personal connection with your collectors.

Having said that, what Judi says makes great sense...something that is fairly close and well focussed. There's nothing more annoying than squinting at the screen trying to see what someone REALLY looks like. Do it...you're a pretty girl and have nothing to feel embarassed about anyway. And besides..until I saw your pic, I pictured you as a strawberry blonde...don't ask me why. bear_wacko

If you don't have a pic you are happy with, ask someone you trust to take some for you, preferrably outside in the shade so the lighting is good. Having my pic taken is a pet hate, but I made myself.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oh yes!  Pictures of the bear creators always makes things more personal.  Collectors love a personal touch!  They like to put a face to the wonderful creations they are purchasing.  Selling teddy bears isn't just about buying and selling for collectors, it's about getting to know you, the maker too.  I have a whole page on my website dedicated to introducing collectors to 'Paula', so that they get to know a little about me and can see that I am friendly and approachable!  bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I do have a picture of me on my site....I need to up-date it as it's 4 years old ...and I just re-read the info and that's old too...so thanks, Clare, for making me realise I have a load more work to do...I owe you one!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!  :hug:

I do like to see who is making the bears...as often we make bears that look like ourselves and it's interesting to see the maker. I once sat next to a doll-makers stand at a fair..and , chatting with the man looking after it , he said 'Oh my wife, who makes them will be back soon' I then spotted the lady coming along and just knew it was her since she looked just like the dolls!!

I am so unphotogenic that any half decent picture that is taken of me by accident will do I am afraid...I am quite good behind the lens.....not in front of it!!!!

Hence why I haven't yet found a half-decent picture to add to the rogues gallery on here!!!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

yep, I love photos too.  First thing I look into after the bears is the artist.  I suppose, normally, we would meet each other as we shop, but here we can't, so next best thing :)
xox sarah
PS, just went back and looked at your photo.  You have nothing to worry about hon...just say cheese and have someone do the clicking  bear_happy

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Clare if I can add my mug-shot, to my website, then go for it ! You have a pretty face and your kind personality shines through. I look forwards to seeing the picture up on your profile page.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Oooh, good topic. Here's my soapbox list of ideal Web site components:

I like to see artist photos. It helps me recognize people when I see them in the real world.

I also like to have a good "about" page--an artist bio with some substance and interesting details. Not a fantasy thing about finding the bears cavorting in the attic or plucking them from the garden. That's cute, but it's not helpful.

First and last names. Drives me nuts when people don't put their names. And if you say "we," be sure to ID the other person in the "we," too.

It's OK to protect your privacy by not providing a mailing address or phone number, but be sure to have multiple and obvious links to e-mail. I hate having to search for it.

Keep it up to date. If I want to know something about you, chances are I'm going to check your Web site. If it's a couple of years out of date, it doesn't help either of us. You've probably accomplished great things in that amount of time--articles or magazine mentions, show appearances, exclusive editions, awards, talks at the library--and I don't know unless you tell me.

When you sell a bear, move it to an archive or gallery page. There's lots to be learned from your past work, so don't delete the photos when the bear sells.

Nix the music. Even though surfing bear sites is my job, I don't want to be surprised by "Teddy Bear Picnic" blaring out of my computer. People surfing on the sly reeeally don't want it, either!

Have a couple of different people check to be sure all your links work and photos load. It's so disappointing when they don't.

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Hi Clare

I also have a picture of myself on my website.
I too like to see the person behind the bears.

:hug:  Birgitte

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Mindy...that's so helpful. I am guilty as charged on the out of date 'me' page. I am working on that one...but as I haven't a clue how to 'do' my own website I am afraid I have to get someone to do it for me.

It's so hard to keep up with everything!!!!

I dislike music on websites too....it's so distracting..and I know I could turn the sound off....but I don't and then I tend to skip websites with music without looking depending on how annoying the music is.

I also can't cope with those twiddly things that trail around after the cursor...that makes me move on too usually.....

Am I being picky???

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Jenny, you are not being too picky. I don't like things trailing after my cursor or music blaring (especially without a way to turn it off on the site). I love to see the person behind the bears. I need to take a new picture of me to add to the site, and I also need to find some pictures to use for my avatar here. All of mine are too big at the moment!  bear_noexpression

Debora

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

As a collector, I like seeing a picture of the artist.  I think it makes it more personal.  The advantage to buying artist bears is that it is more personal, and seeing the artist helps make that connection.  I think Mindy made a lot of great suggestions.

Board footer