Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi all!

Just wanted to give a heads up....

Today I really noticed that my computer was acting up... badly.  Running very slowly...locking up.  I noticed it a little bit yesterday and a LOT today.  I knew it wasn't my internet connection (this time LOL!)

I have a spy sweeper program (that I PAID for) that runs every night... also anti virus.  So I thought I was safe. 

However my computer's symptoms were definitely symptoms of spyware or virus bear_sad  and fortunately I remembered a free spy sweeper program that we used to have on our old computer.... Spybot.  Spybot is FREE.... and we *thought* we were getting a "better" program by paying for one   :crackup:

Well, I downloaded it... had problems getting it downloaded... but turned off my computer and restarted it...and then ran Spybot.  I was LOADED with spyware!!!  I had 2 instances of changes in my registry!!  Had Spybot take care of those critters and I'm running great!!

I just wanted to let ya'll know.... cause I know I thought I was protected and I wasn't!

BY the way.... you canNOT have 2 different Anti-Virus programs on your computer!!!!   It will get ALL messed up!  But the spyware says it is usally compatible with others... and I didn't have a problem with it myself.

Here's the website - it's one that you can donate to after you find how great it works!
http://www.spybot.com/

zemeski Posts: 434

BY the way.... you canNOT have 2 different Anti-Virus programs on your computer!!!!   It will get ALL messed up!  But the spyware says it is usally compatible with others... and I didn't have a problem with it myself.

Laura - We found this out a view years ago about not being able to have several Anti Virus programs. It works against each other and you feel like you never get anywhere. Good to know though. We didn't know until AOL told us.

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Sorry if I wasn't clear  :doh:   No, you can NOT have 2 virus programs like Melissa said!! 

You CAN run Spybot with most other spy checking programs though.

:hug:

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi laura lynn
You are given a choice of 4 to pick from- which one did you download?
Hugs
Gail

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Laura, I have had Spybot on my computer for some time but still had some problems. Our local computer repair guys recommended Ad-aware (in addition to Spybot) as they said it will catch some things that Spybot won't. It is also a free download. I try to run them both regularily and do catch more things with Ad-aware than Spybot. I was ready to junk my computer because of all the problems I was having but it is much better now - still have some problems but I know some of them are due to our internet provider and we don't have any other choice where I live so that I just have to put up with.
Bear hugs, Edie
P.S. Forgot to say, I have the AVG free download antivirus and the free Zone Alarm Firewall as well and everything works fine together!

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Thanks Edie!!!  I'll go get that later today!!

Gail, I just went to the first link and downloaded it from there.

Board footer